DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editing Software

gckless

Reactions
What do you guys use? This is more of a discussion, not really a "recommend one for me" type of question.

I'm about to grab Adobe Premiere Elements 15. I've only used Garmin's Virb Edit software to this point (I recently got a Virb Ultra 30), and it's functions are extremely limited. Need something better for drone videos.

Reactions: garypj1
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.

I use a Mac (never owned a Windows based PC) so YMMV
While I do have the Adobe suite of tools I am not that adept in using them as they require a lot of training to use them proficiently so I tend to use Final Cut Pro for most everything.

I use a Microsoft Surface Book w 16 gig RAM & I7. For software I use the Adobe Suite of products via my monthly subscription

For quick and dirty edits, either DaVinci Resolve (free) or Sony Catalyst Browse. Both are pretty much for color grading.

I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum for my edits. I dont do a whole lot of editing for most of the stuff I shoot. I am director of photography for a film team, so I am basically a gear head and composer. Our editor uses the full DaVinci suite for all of our projects. Who knows, maybe I will learn more about the DaVinci and upgrade.

Reactions: Reverend Greg
I also use Premiere Pro. Have the Adobe Package on a monthly subscription and very used to Photoshop. So I can color correct a frame of my video in Photoshop and then import the settings to Premiere.

@gckless, try the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio 13 before you grab Premiere Elements. I have both and use Vegas Movie Studio almost exclusively. Much more responsive UI, more natural workflow, and it does almost everything the full version of Vegas does if you're doing hobbyist, vs. broadcast, video editing.

The big Premiere is awesome, but Elements is kind of quirky due to all the stuff they tried to do to tame Premiere's unfriendly UI.

Reactions: gckless
Im used to Adobe Premiere, but dont have it now. I do have a MAC and Final Cut Pro X, though i haven't really learned it yet. Im considering to switch to Adobe Premiere CC , but waiting until the end of october to see if Apple will be releasing a new big update to Final Cut PRO, the rumours say so, and its a long time since they have updated FCP in a major way. I also have the Hitfilm 4 Pro. HitFilm - Creative video software - HitFilm.com, which is cool for special effects.

Final Cut Pro X at home. Might try the in app edit for "on the go quick and dirty edits" as demoed on the DJI tutorials, haven't decided yet.

Reactions: davidbarwin
I also use Premiere Pro. Have the Adobe Package on a monthly subscription and very used to Photoshop. So I can color correct a frame of my video in Photoshop and then import the settings to Premiere.
I use premiere as well but haven't heard of this technique. Can you share your workflow for this? Would be a game changer for me!

I use premiere as well but haven't heard of this technique. Can you share your workflow for this? Would be a game changer for me!
Hey, check out this Video:

In short:
Export a frame/single image from Premiere.
Open the picture in Photoshop.
Do the Color correction with layers.
Save the layers as setting.
Use the settings for the Clip in Premiere.

Wow, lots of guys on Macs in here.

@gckless, try the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio 13 before you grab Premiere Elements. I have both and use Vegas Movie Studio almost exclusively. Much more responsive UI, more natural workflow, and it does almost everything the full version of Vegas does if you're doing hobbyist, vs. broadcast, video editing.

The big Premiere is awesome, but Elements is kind of quirky due to all the stuff they tried to do to tame Premiere's unfriendly UI.
Thanks for the heads up! I just downloaded the trial of Premiere Elements 15 last night, so I guess I'll try that out first. I'll definitely give Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum a try though, seems like the internets generally say Vegas works a bit better.

Reactions: dennya
Wow, lots of guys on Macs in here.

Thanks for the heads up! I just downloaded the trial of Premiere Elements 15 last night, so I guess I'll try that out first. I'll definitely give Vegas Movie Studio 13 a try though, seems like the internets generally say Vegas works a bit better.

Also, check out Sony Movie Studio (not Vegas) as it will save you a few hundred dollars. If you are not getting paid for the work, it is hard to justify spending 500 to 1000 on software for editing. If you end up going commercial, then you can upgrade to Vegas and be familiar with the platform. Vegas is a great tool. So is Movie Studio (non-vegas version.)

Also, I have been playong more and more with DaVinci Resolve, and for color grading and quick edits (cuts and whatnot) it is probably going to be my main color tool. It is quick, uses my GPU and for free, quite powerful.

Also, check out Sony Movie Studio (not Vegas) as it will save you a few hundred dollars. If you are not getting paid for the work, it is hard to justify spending 500 to 1000 on software for editing. If you end up going commercial, then you can upgrade to Vegas and be familiar with the platform. Vegas is a great tool. So is Movie Studio (non-vegas version.)

Also, I have been playong more and more with DaVinci Resolve, and for color grading and quick edits (cuts and whatnot) it is probably going to be my main color tool. It is quick, uses my GPU and for free, quite powerful.
Yeah, I'm looking at the cheaper one. They are actually both called Vegas, the more expensive one is Vegas Pro and the cheaper one is Vegas Movie Studio. That may have been different in the past, I'm not sure. But I agree with you, $100 is about my limit for now. That's how I felt with Adobe Premiere too, that's why I snagged the trial of Premiere Elements, and can later upgrade to Pro CC if I feel like I need to.

I can say this: I simply downloaded/installed Premiere Elements last night, and opened the program. Just when the initial splash page was open, not even the full editor, it was making my system a bit laggy. Granted, it's not the newest system (two GTX260's in SLI, Q9550 processor at 3.6GHz, 8GB RAM) and I'll be rebuilding shortly, but it should be decent enough to run this. I don't have issues processing 20MB+ RAW photos in Lightroom at all. If I see lag issues in Premiere, I'll be trying Vegas earlier than I planned.

Another Mac guy here. For quick and easy stuff I use imovie, for things that need more work and refinement I use Final Cut ProX with the CoreMelt V2 plug-in set.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada