DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Editor

HeavensAbove

Reactions
As this is my first DJI product I was wondering what your thoughts are on a Video editing suite for DJI footage. As I will most probably be intercutting with Canon and GoPro footage I'll probably be sticking with GoPro studio (as it's free and I'm a cheapskate).

Will this suffice or does anyone have better suggestions?

What's a good starter editor for Windows 10 that's not overwhelming? And where do people get their music for videos now days? Are their good websites that help you pick music according to the feel your trying to create?

I have to say that I'm slightly lucky as work has an Adobe subscription so I use Premiere, however I am led to believe that (seriously) Windows Movie Maker is actually quite an interesting app.
I downloaded Quik (?) last night which was seemingly the updated gopro software which has an awful 'create' thing in it - has that replaced the gopro studio?

HeavensAbove, you can find a list of commonly used apps here.

As this is my first DJI product I was wondering what your thoughts are on a Video editing suite for DJI footage. As I will most probably be intercutting with Canon and GoPro footage I'll probably be sticking with GoPro studio (as it's free and I'm a cheapskate).

Will this suffice or does anyone have better suggestions?

There are so many options out there. Hopefully answering a few questions will guide you in the right direction. Ultimately thought, it would come down to personal preference, IMHO.

Who's the target audience?
Do you enjoy spending time at the computer editing photos/videos?
How much $$$ are you willing to spend for photo/video editing software?
Which operating system do you use?
Computer Hardware, i.e., graphics card, CPU, RAM, etc?

I personally use Final Cut Pro. I've also used Premiere Pro, but always lean towards FCP...mainly because I'm running off a 2012 MBPr. It doesn't seem to work well with Premiere Pro.

Others that just want to do quick edits have used iMovie (if your with Apple), or something that's not so intimidating to new users as FCP and Premiere Pro. You could even use DJI app to make quick movies as well.

Good luck!

Reactions: kmaluo
There are so many options out there. Hopefully answering a few questions will guide you in the right direction. Ultimately thought, it would come down to personal preference, IMHO.

Who's the target audience?
Do you enjoy spending time at the computer editing photos/videos?
How much $$$ are you willing to spend for photo/video editing software?
Which operating system do you use?
Computer Hardware, i.e., graphics card, CPU, RAM, etc?

I personally use Final Cut Pro. I've also used Premiere Pro, but always lean towards FCP...mainly because I'm running off a 2012 MBPr. It doesn't seem to work well with Premiere Pro.

Others that just want to do quick edits have used iMovie (if your with Apple), or something that's not so intimidating to new users as FCP and Premiere Pro. You could even use DJI app to make quick movies as well.

Good luck!
Hi dsd317,

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I'm a cheapskate. When it comes to software I prefer free or a lengthy trial (I would be willing to pay if something is miles better than free option, but need to try it first).

I have a Lenovo E73 tower Windows 10 x64 Pro. i5, 12GB RAM, and have just put a 512GB SSD in it for this purpose. I have two Microservers with 12GB (6GB mirrored arrays in newest one). 5TB of cloud storage with Microsoft Office 365 Home. And I don't mind tying up my desktop as I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro as my main machine.

Target audience will be YouTube as I've already made a little bit of money with reviews and cheeky compilations. Although am open to other platforms. Don't mind spending a Sunday Afternoon parked in my home office but see enough PC screen time in my day job to not want to spend all my evenings in front of one too!

There were some who touted Sony Vegas but not managed to get a shot of it.

What's a good starter editor for Windows 10 that's not overwhelming? And where do people get their music for videos now days? Are their good websites that help you pick music according to the feel your trying to create?

I'm a newbee to video editting but I use a free version of Black Magic Design's Resolve editor. I notice it was not on the video editor list referenced above. I use Win 7 and Win 10.

On music. I get music for YT videos from YT library, that way I can still get paid. I have also had offers from up and coming artists to use their music free gratis, as my main channel has 2m views.

If you are only making the vids for personal consumption you can of course put anything you like on them ;-)

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: kmaluo
Just ordered an Invidia GTX1050 4GB on pre release along with COD (for my kids birthday not for me, honest) ...so waiting on Amazon for three things now!

I'll advise how it speeds up video editing/processing in due course.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50