DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video File Corrupt and Unplayable

HeavensAbove

Reactions
Yesterday I was in a rush and didn't follow my normal shutdown procedure. I'd been recording for >20 mins straight and after landing, shutdown the Mavic before hitting the stop recording on the app.

As you'll be aware, if you record for lengthy periods at 4k, the video files get split into 9mins (plus change) files which keeps them below 4GB (think this may be to do with addressing and how the card formatting works). So I checked the final video which was a few minutes in length. It was okay. However, the second last video (which had the main footage I was after, ironically) offered up a nice message "unable to play, please re-obtain original video file" - I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist.

So I tried a dashcam editor which has a tool to fix corrupt video. Nope. Incompatible it said.

I downloaded another tool from the web. Again, no good.

I then did a more specific search regarding corrupt Mavic files, and found DJI have a tool for this....

FIX-DJI.zip

I just used the first file of the three to give the app the video settings and then targeted the faulty file. It worked.

Note that the fixed file doesn't get put in the same folder as your footage, but into the installation path of the tool. There's no control over this in the app (that I could find) and it wasn't immediately obvious where it had put it.

So was pretty happy after quite a bit of faffing about and stressing about "lost" footage.

Moral of the story, stop recording first!

That's useful info, if you haven't used the Mavic again, you can also re-insert the card and switch on - and the file will often finalise and close correctly from the onboard buffer.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
I have seen this error before, when reading the microsd card on my apple computer. Some things to look at are: make sure you are using the same disk adapter as the microsd card. I thought they were interchangeable, but I ran into errors if I didnt use the right one. Another thing I did was a disk repair. I was nervous doing it, because I was afraid I might lose all my data. However, this seemed to clear up the problem. I cant say if this will clear up your problem. It just cleared up my issues.

I have seen this error before, when reading the microsd card on my apple computer. Some things to look at are: make sure you are using the same disk adapter as the microsd card. I thought they were interchangeable, but I ran into errors if I didnt use the right one. Another thing I did was a disk repair. I was nervous doing it, because I was afraid I might lose all my data. However, this seemed to clear up the problem. I cant say if this will clear up your problem. It just cleared up my issues.
I've interchanged adapters without issue Kingston/SanDisk they are of a standard so shouldn't have any issues. Maybe you had a card or adaptor that was a bit temperamental? Couldn't do disc repair as had already copied (moved) the files to my network drive.

That's useful info, if you haven't used the Mavic again, you can also re-insert the card and switch on - and the file will often finalise and close correctly from the onboard buffer.
Drone had been switched off causing the issue. The buffer would have flushed as it's just RAM. Have heard the fix you mention but believe it applies only if you prematurely remove the card with drone on.

FIX-DJI is a good one. sometimes it doesn't work though. i've tried to repair the video from Mavic for a friend with FixDji, and it somehow didn't work, so had to turn to restore.media online service.

btw, I wouldn't re-insert the card and switch on - sometimes the file won't finalise, but smth else will be written above that unfinalized file, and it'll be completely lost. i would better take it off, make an image file of your card with the USB Image Tool (i hope i remember the name correctly), and send that image file to any recovery tool/service that can cope with extracting data. this way, it's 99% the files would be recovered.

You can use professional video repair tool like Kernel Video Repair. It can help you to fix any kinds of corrupted or inaccessible video files. It supports MP4, MOV, MPEG, MJPEG, MTS, M4V, MKV, AVI, AVCHD, WEBM, ASF, WMV, FLV, DIVX, 3G2, TS, 3GP, F4V file formats.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas