Video goes blurry and out of focus during recording on its own

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by mattmjm, Nov 22, 2016.

1. mattmjm

mattmjm Active Member

The video is never in focus on initial take off while recording.

I always have to initiate the Center Auto Focus command in order to get it in focus first. I do this quickly via the C1 button - I have it mapped to that command.

However, the major issue is this: during all of my flights, the video goes blurry and slightly out of focus at a random point during the recording. The blur is too minor to notice on the iPhone's small screen, but when I get it home and go over the video from the SD card on my MacBook Pro, you can notice it right away. I've tested several high speed microSD cards, to rule that out.

I'm currently recording to a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB, Class 10 and I'm shooting video in 4K, 24.

Now that I've discovered this issue, I have to continually click the Center Auto Focus command at intervals during the flight. This is obviously not optimal as you can see the camera re-focusing over and over.

What gives?

#1 mattmjm, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

This can happen when the gimbal gets jolted in flight by a strong braking action or quick stick input. If you see the gimbal hit and shake refocus afterwards. Haven't seen it happen just on its own without mechanical "abuse" yet.

3. KONY

KONY Well-Known Member

i also experienced those myself...so far i attributed to low light conditions or sunset timing as it happened mainly during such conditions.

4. mattmjm

mattmjm Active Member

After reviewing my videos, I am still not sure it has to do with low light. In almost every video there is plenty of day light and it has gone blurry on its own after being in focus for some time.

It may have something to do with a sudden jolt, but I haven't tested that yet. Like I said, it's impossible to tell on the iPhone's small screen if it's perfectly in focus or not.

However, after flying today, I've begun to get in the habit of clicking the C1 - Center Auto Focus button several times throughout flight. After reviewing the videos, everything seems to be in focus.

An automatic infinity auto focus would be very nice.

ikasper likes this.
  5. CAPTAINDRONE

CAPTAINDRONE Well-Known Member

When you power on the Mavic Pro, do you attempt a focus while on the ground before the controller says Ready to Fly GPS? I only ask because I noticed that if I attempt a focus at this stage, the focus then does not work properly. For me it only works if you focus after you get the OK to fly GPS (when outdoors).

6. mattmjm

mattmjm Active Member

I've begun doing both. Focusing before take off and immediately after, while hovering a few feet in the air.