DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video jello effect in cold weather

So has any one here sent theirs in and got one back that doesn't have the jello? Can we agree its a camera defect? Or do we still think its the cold, wind, and light??

In the case of my two Mavics (the first was sent in to correct a lens defect), they both do good video at cold temps (at or below freezing) but only if allowed to acclimate to the ambient temperature. There seem to be some Mavics that still have an issue even if allowed to acclimate and in that case it appears to be a defect but since the Mavic isn't rated below 0C/32F, the owners may need to demonstrate the issue at warmer temps.

Wow--very nice. Thanks for posting the video and flight conditions. It's nice to know what temperature range will work for the Mavic. Did the Mavic have very long to acclimate to the 3F?

I had it in my backpack for and walked for 5-7 minuets to get to the spot then about 2 more to set up. The one thing I will do for sure next time is take some gloves with touch screen fingers, taking my glove of to adjust setting on the phone was brutal!

Reactions: WolfgangStiller
I had it in my backpack for and walked for 5-7 minuets to get to the spot then about 2 more to set up. The one thing I will do for sure next time is take some gloves with touch screen fingers, taking my glove of to adjust setting on the phone was brutal!

Thanks! Good tip on the gloves (they make special tablet/phone screen gloves). I appreciate the times since I am still trying to get a feel for how long it takes the Mavic to acclimate in different temperatures.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but in the last picture it look like that tab has dislodged itself from what it's holding so I think you need to push that tab in till where it looks like all the other tabs (behind the base)

You are correct - the gimbal is not seated correctly

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I just received my Mavic a couple of days ago and was really disappointed in the test footage from my first play around with it. The video was taken in 4k / 30 with the plastic dome off. The temperature was about 0'c.

The footage I have seems A LOT worse than the other videos I have seen here. Is this really just down to the cold? I haven't left the drone out for a while to acclimatize yet, but I will this weekend to see if that helps.

You can see the jello effect below.

I worked with DJI support to try and fix the jello issue but they couldn't solve it, so they asked me to send it in for repair. I have just received notification that they have replaced the camera and gimbal, so hopefully that will fix it.

I just received my Mavic a couple of days ago and was really disappointed in the test footage from my first play around with it. The video was taken in 4k / 30 with the plastic dome off. The temperature was about 0'c.

The footage I have seems A LOT worse than the other videos I have seen here. Is this really just down to the cold? I haven't left the drone out for a while to acclimatize yet, but I will this weekend to see if that helps.

You can see the jello effect below.

Mine was this bad or worse. I'd recommend contacting who you purchased it from and get an exchange or send it to DJI.

Mine was this bad or worse. I'd recommend contacting who you purchased it from and get an exchange or send it to DJI.

Were you able to get yours exchanged? I'm in Istanbul and bought it from a fairly reputable drone / hobby retailer here, so I'll go in tomorrow and see what they say.

Were you able to get yours exchanged? I'm in Istanbul and bought it from a fairly reputable drone / hobby retailer here, so I'll go in tomorrow and see what they say.

I got mine from best buy here in the states. I tried to exchange it but they had no stock to send me, so I sent it back to DJI in California. They just received it so no word yet but I hope they just send me a new one that works. An exchange with the point of purchase would have been so much easier.

Reactions: Seamus
Just got mine back from DJI, they replaced the camera and gimbal and so I took it out for a quick flight this morning.

In sub zero temps, around -2C to -3C I used a full battery and got 20 mins of footage and........success !!!

No jelly.....no wavy lines.....at all !!!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: maikm
Just got mine back from DJI, they replaced the camera and gimbal and so I took it out for a quick flight this morning.

In sub zero temps, around -2C to -3C I used a full battery and got 20 mins of footage and........success !!!

No jelly.....no wavy lines.....at all !!!

That's awesome! Mine should be back on Thursday, I can't wait to try it.

If you're fine dealing with that, right on. But I'm not ok with it on a brand new quad. I sent mine back and they replaced the gimbal and camera unit, as it was malfunctioning.

I did send mine back and they replaced the gimbal.

Are you saying you had jello again with the new gimbal but it stopped after 8 minutes of flying? Or there was no more jello at all with the new gimbal?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the intake fan blowing ice cold air on the circuitry. As many have pointed out, if the bubble is installed, there's no jello. If it is related to cold air at the intake fan, one would think they could simply turn off the fan if the ambient air reaches a certain temperature. I wonder what the logic is that determines when the fan needs to come on (inside temp vs. outside temp vs both).
The jello effect looks a lot like the distortion you get looking through hot air rising above a long road ahead. I thought it might be caused by heated air from the drone mixing with the cold air close to the lens??

The jello effect looks a lot like the distortion you get looking through hot air rising above a long road ahead. I thought it might be caused by heated air from the drone mixing with the cold air close to the lens??
That sounds like it could be condensation. Had the drone acclimated to the cold temperatures before the flight?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3