DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Lag

boybehindacamera

Reactions
Hi Pilots,

Forgive the newbie please. Generic question on its way.

On standard settings whilst recording Video the footage appears lagged when viewed on my Laptop (a normal run of the mill machine). I hear that some devices struggle playing this high quality video.

Can anybody suggest a setting that allows for a ‘decent enough’ quality video that will be viewable on the Laptop?

I am a more photography type of fellow but having some viewable video would be nice.

Many thanks,

Edward

Hi Pilots,

Forgive the newbie please. Generic question on its way.

On standard settings whilst recording Video the footage appears lagged when viewed on my Laptop (a normal run of the mill machine). I hear that some devices struggle playing this high quality video.

Can anybody suggest a setting that allows for a ‘decent enough’ quality video that will be viewable on the Laptop?

I am a more photography type of fellow but having some viewable video would be nice.

Many thanks,

Edward
Howdy, boybehindacamera,
what resolution are you recording now? 1080 or 720p should be able to be handled by a normal laptop.
Regards,
-d.

Many thanks for the response,

I have the default settings applying. Without covering my face with embarrassment could you point out where these settings are found?

Also, any changes made to the device, for these to be made is it needed to be attached to the handset or drone?

Many thanks,

If you are seeing a small consistent stutter every 1 second or so, then you are likely filming at 24 or 25fps while the laptop monitor is locked to update at only things divisible by 60fps. Filming at 30fps will be smooth if that's the case.

Many thanks guys,

What would be a better choice Frames per second or 1080/720p?

Where can these be found and can they be changed when unconnected to the remote/mavic?

A small amount of latency "lag" is normal for the occusync system. Depends on whether it is excessive, beyond what is normal.

A small amount of latency "lag" is normal for the occusync system. Depends on whether it is excessive, beyond what is normal.
The OP has lag playing back video on his laptop, not latency.
Regards,
-d.

I realize this is off topic from OPs question, but out of curiosity what is considered "normal" latency for Occusync? I've got no prior frame of reference for camera platform drones (only analog FPV gear for racing, which has super low latency).

I realize this is off topic from OPs question, but out of curiosity what is considered "normal" latency for Occusync? I've got no prior frame of reference for camera platform drones (only analog FPV gear for racing, which has super low latency).
180-220ms I think. The CrystalSky is supposed to be 180ms
Regards,
-d.

Last edited:
The OP has lag playing back video on his laptop, not latency.
Regards,
-d.
My bad... I read the "whilst recording" part and thought he was somehow using his laptop as a viewing device.

Haha crazy man, so 1080 or 720p recording would overcome the lagging when played back on the laptop?

Plus, where can these settings be found and does it need to be directly connected to the remote/mavic for changes to be made.

What are you using to play back your video's. If its Quicktime ...it will lag a bit on run of the mill systems..try downloading VLC player viewer its free and plays back high resolution video fairly well.

It happens on any player - I have read that this has happened to many people.

Would it be possible to explain how I can change the video quality?

i've had this problem and heres my solution

on several of my laptops running win 8

the secret seems to be to use the windows video player

even on my tiny super portable asus T100 not book I can play back 4K video both to the screen and to an external HDTV

but if i try to play back using VLC or any other software it will stutter like crazy

I think the windows video player is optimize for the hardware whereas VLC and other software solutions are not

for the record the asus T100 does not have a video card
having said that even my laptops with a video card still lag using software players other than the windows video player

i've had this problem and heres my solution

on several of my laptops running win 8

the secret seems to be to use the windows video player

even on my tiny super portable asus T100 not book I can play back 4K video both to the screen and to an external HDTV

but if i try to play back using VLC or any other software it will stutter like crazy

I think the windows video player is optimize for the hardware whereas VLC and other software solutions are not

for the record the asus T100 does not have a video card
having said that even my laptops with a video card still lag using software players other than the windows video player
My I ask what settings you would recommend to use for video to play smoothly on a normal windows laptop?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji