DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video out

nightram

Reactions
Has anyone got an idea on how to strip the video stream from the controllers USB?

I doubt it. There will be other proprietary telemetry data mixed into the digital conversation from controller to phone/tablet app.

Best to get an HDMI-capable tablet like Shield K1.

That was one GoPro feature I still hope DJI takes on... a co-pilot view-only or gimbal-control-only on a separate device.

I want to port out to a hd groundstation screen for hunting

Looks like a good option.

Last edited:
Best that I've seen here so far is to CAST your video via wifi to another wifi device. I believe Miracast was the unit I read about and the author of the post stated to ensure to get/use the 5GHz version to avoid interference with the Mavic.

The other option I here is available is to use a tablet with an HDMI out to run to another display of some kind.

Similar to this unit...
Amazon.com: Belkin Miracast Video Adapter: Electronics

I got my MiraScreen dual band wireless HDMI adapter today and set it up, haven't flown with it yet just checking the setup and latency. I am using 5GHz wifi so as to not interfere with the Occusync. Powering the MiraScreen with a portable powerbank and using a Viltrox 7" hooded HDMI monitor (battery operated) as a display. The setup was pretty easy, had to update the F/W in the dongle but it was pretty much painless to do as the dongle is its own hotspot. Just powerup the dongle connected to a HDMI monitor, the SSID and PW is on the screen, log in with your mobile device's wifi screen, open your browser and enter the IP, the setup screen will come up and you can set resolution, band, as well as run the update. Pretty simple. The screens below speak for themselves for clarity and latency. First good day I will take it out and get a real test. I use IOS so I selected Apple Air Play as the format. The MiraScreen shows up on the Airplay screen so just selecting it will cast the GO app to your goggles or monitor. Latency was 150ms from the camera>iPad>wireless monitor, not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
It really depends - its like driving and braking, reaction time etc - imagine if you are flying at 100kmh, a 50ms delay means your quad would have traveled 1.4m before you can react to what you see ... generally fpv systems have between 40-200ms delay which makes them usable for this purpose ... however for fpv and taking video shots this may not be as relevant than for fpv racing due to different speeds ...

So my test shows 340ms delay across the entire path which considering the path isnt too bad actually...

Reactions: M4RK
It really depends - its like driving and braking, reaction time etc - imagine if you are flying at 100kmh, a 50ms delay means your quad would have traveled 1.4m before you can react to what you see ... generally fpv systems have between 40-200ms delay which makes them usable for this purpose ... however for fpv and taking video shots this may not be as relevant than for fpv racing due to different speeds ...
That's what I was thinking, lead time would not be such a large issue at the lower speeds you will be filming at. I would think a high latency gets some pilots in trouble, a 300ms lag can make a significant difference at 100 mph, but not so much at <20.

A third of a second seems long to me for some reason, perhaps the .15 I got was because I was using 5GHz, not sure. I wonder how much distance will affect the latency?

In your picture I dont see the real source - I shot a timer on a galaxy note through the camera as you can see in my picture, then you see the time displayed on the phone connected to the controller and the final result in the display - so its 3 delays camera, transmission to controller, screen grab and cast to hmd ... phone to hmd is lower as you can see 130ms

In your picture I dont see the real source - I shot a timer on a galaxy note through the camera as you can see in my picture, then you see the time displayed on the phone connected to the controller and the final result in the display - so its 3 delays camera, transmission to controller, screen grab and cast to hmd ... phone to hmd is lower as you can see 130ms
Yep, looks like I left out one leg of the trip, will have to do it again... :(

Reactions: r4nd0m
That's what I thought mate ..
Redid it and it came out .37 a hair slower than yours. Not sure it that is acceptable for FPV, I will try it with the shield K1 to see if it is also comparable. Seems if we want really low latency we will need to go with a direct Occusync link. I had only planned to use this for a spotter monitor for a GS so the time isn't that much of a deal.

Should be fine mate - occusync I think has 130 or 160ms ... should be well in range especially once you have adopted to it ... havent tried it myself yet but I fly fpv for quite some time in fact over 6 years and this includes helicopters so 3 axis - I wouldnt consider this being an issue really but will see ... considering you have obstacle avoidance as well it should be more than fine - again not sure about racing though but the mavic isnt made for racing either :) my racer goes 64mph with 4S and is a blast to fly and not forgivng but costs a fraction for a reason I guess...

Last edited:
The SDK might not be what you're looking for but

Developers can get live H.264 video data from Camera using the Mobile SDK. The H.264 is a video coding format that is currently one of the most commonly used formats for compression, and distribution of video content.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada