DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video: Potential Danger with Hand Catching Mavic

dsd317

Reactions
In this video:
starting at the 11:24 mark he tried to hand catch it, but the sensor(s) detected his hand/arm/body causing the Mavic to fly upwards. On his second attempt, instead of holding his hand/arm above his head, he held it out in front (at eye level or lower), thus increasing the potential of the props contacting his face.

Reactions: usefulshrimp
So, what is the expected discharge level to reach the 20/27 minutes of battery life? It looked like his battery started at like 3 and after 10 minutes he was at 30%?

In this video:
starting at the 11:24 mark he tried to hand catch it, but the sensor(s) detected his hand/arm/body causing the Mavic to fly upwards. On his second attempt, instead of holding his hand/arm above his head, he held it out in front (at eye level or lower), thus increasing the potential of the props contacting his face.
I get the concern, but I don't see any big deal here. Looks like he did a fine, safe job of hand caching his Mavic. I'm sure he was cognizant of what he was doing.

Between the hand catch attempts, did he turn off the VPS? I kinda like the idea of hand launch and recovery.

I predict too many inexperienced people will try this...resulting in lacerations to fingers and faces, or worse.
Oh yes!
The guy in the video wont have his Mavic for very long anyway if he keeps turning on the aircraft in his hand and moving/placing down while the IMU's are initialising.
I give it maybe a week.....:p

I predict too many inexperienced people will try this...resulting in lacerations to fingers and faces, or worse.
I hand caught my Mavic below my waist. Don't do this, always overhead. I didn't go to the hospital but 9 or so cuts on my right hand.

Last edited:
Oh yes!
The guy in the video wont have his Mavic for very long anyway if he keeps turning on the aircraft in his hand and moving/placing down while the IMU's are initialising.
I give it maybe a week.....:p

OK dumb question time - how are you supposed to do it? Given that you have to hold it upside down to see the power button, do you keep it upside down during initialization or do you turn it on "blind"?

Or do you turn the battery on before inserting it. :p

I practiced hand launching and landing several times about a month ago. Yesterday, hand launched and landed due to on a sand hill. Personally I don't have any issues doing it. Just turn off bottom sensors, and grip it low.

You don't have to turn off bottom sensors. While hovering at catch height put hand out flat underneath, it will lift up as it detects your hand. Then pull left stick full down, it will land on your hand. I catch like this all the time to avoid the mud which there is a lot of here at the moment. Grip the mavic low at the sides otherwise the props can get your fingers and that hurts.

The only thing you need to do is turn off precision landing. With this setting off you have full control over when and where you can land your Mavic. Turning precision landing will also prevent the aircraft from going into an auto land if you pull the stick down while too close to an object, water, ground. Also as a bonus, you can fly inches off the ground for a different perspective. That said I still try to avoid hand landing as much as possible.

The only thing you need to do is turn off precision landing. With this setting off you have full control over when and where you can land your Mavic. Turning precision landing will also prevent the aircraft from going into an auto land if you pull the stick down while too close to an object, water, ground. Also as a bonus, you can fly inches off the ground for a different perspective. That said I still try to avoid hand landing as much as possible.
Does turning off Precision landing disable the bottom sensors then? I don't want it to try to pull away from me as I grab it. Really the main time I plan on using this is when launching and landing from my boat.

Reactions: Chas
Does turning off Precision landing disable the bottom sensors then? I don't want it to try to pull away from me as I grab it.
@Nomand Eloc is referring to the "Landing Protection" setting. The Mavic will not pull away from your hand if you disable the Landing Protection setting.

Of course not as long as the place where you set that ME homepoint has a suitable landing area you can then move yourself away from...

I wouldn't try to catch it while under automatic control, only manual.

Reactions: Simmo
If one wishes to use the ME RTH, does that require hand-catching?
That just resets the home point to the current location of your mobile device. You of course shouldn't reset the home point to a location that's not suitable for landing (unless you plan to hand catch).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest