DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video quality.

MavicKhan

Reactions
Still waiting for my Mavic.

From what I've been seeing, I am getting the impression that 2.7K@24fps might be the best video balance out of the camera, in what pertains to artifacts and jello effect vs. resolution)

Your thoughts?

...also, which size cards are you using and what is the average footage time you're geting in them in the various formats?

Thanks!

MK

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone would shoot in 2.7k instead of 4k UNLESS their computer couldn't handle it (and any computer from the last 3-4 years would have no problem).
You lose a tonne of details and colour when shooting in 2.7k Vs 4k and there's a heap of videos comparing the two and they ALL show that shooting in 4k then exporting to 2.7k gives a better image than just shooting in 2.7k outright.
You're going to get more jello and artefacts by flying too fast/not smooth and without an ND filter.
4k footage takes about 10 minutes per 4.2GB "block" so each flight, assuming you're recording most of the time and with some photos as well expect it to be around 10 GB per flight. I fly alternating between 32GB cards and the occasional 64GB card (I stick to the Samsung EVO+ as they've not let me down compared to other brands) and backup after each session.

I got my Drone a couple of days ago, first flight was about 15 mins recording in 4k on the standard card the drone came with, video was smooth and fine, second flight about 10mins at 4k, smooth and fine, today I took it out for 20ish min flight recording at 4k, so 2 "blocks" of 4.2ish gb files were on the card, but both videos were terribly choppy, it was really bad, like streaming internet on a week connection, could this be that the standard card that the drone came with has too small off a transfer rate for 4k? the new card I ordered will have a speed of 95mb/s, I hope this will solve it, anyone else had this same problem?

Stock card should be fine. I'd question your computer/card reader/software you used to play back both times, any difference there?

I only have a MacBook Pro, and played all the videos off the built in card reader, it seems to start chopping all the time in the same place on the video, even if I forward or rewind in the player.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
I only have a MacBook Pro, and played all the videos off the built in card reader, it seems to start chopping all the time in the same place on the video, even if I forward or rewind in the player.
It should play fine if you copy the files to your computer. I use a 1st gen 12" MacBook One on the road and that handles 4k video files fine.

It should play fine if you copy the files to your computer. I use a 1st gen 12" MacBook One on the road and that handles 4k video files fine.

Unfortunately mines a 2013 MBP so it should handle it with no problem, I would love to upload the video of it chopping so everyone could watch, but YouTube can't handle 4.2gb and I only have 5gb per week on Vivino so I've already used up 2,4gb this week, so I'm stuffed until next week.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Unfortunately mines a 2013 MBP so it should handle it with no problem, I would love to upload the video of it chopping so everyone could watch, but YouTube can't handle 4.2gb and I only have 5gb per week on Vivino so I've already used up 2,4gb this week, so I'm stuffed till next week.
I haven't had the issue but since you say your first few flights were okay I'd start eliminating instances of where it's going wrong.
e.g.. Try a different computer
Try a different card
Format the card in the bird and record a shorter video
Try recording in 2.7k
Try the card in a different bird, like a Phantom.

Hopefully it gets nailed down where the problem sits.

Reactions: Laz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580