DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video randomly stops recording

MCP

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I've gotten great help from this forum and after not finding anything of substance elsewhere, thought I would post here in case anyone has had a similar issue.

I've had my Mavic for a few months now with no issues, and recently (last month or so), it started the strange behavior of randomly stopping recording during flight, and I have not been able to diagnose the problem.

DJI support didn't help and suggested sending the drone back for repair. After seeing the stories here and on other forms (also have an Inspire 1), I'd like to avoid this if I can fix the issue beforehand.

A few facts:
  • Issue presents itself with both .500 and .400 aircraft firmware
  • Card is a Sandisk Ultra 32GB
  • All items are stock and unmodified (hardware/software)
  • I cannot trace this to a specific event although it may have started happening after the last firmware upgrade
  • Usually (but not always), this behavior happens after the first recording, which tends to be longer but still stops by itself
  • The last frame of some videos has irregularities - see this screenshot: Screenshot
  • I have not noticed any errors on the screen (but it doesn't mean they're not there), usually being alerted to the cut recording by the sound on the app

What I've tried so far:
  • I was on the .500 firmware until yesterday when I downgraded to .400 (last stable version I remember) and the problem persists
  • Reformatting the card in the drone to no avail
  • Tried to record in 2.7k (as opposed to 4k) and the issue persists
  • Got in touch with DJI and they recommended reinstalling the app which I have not done yet as I wanted to check here first (lots of customized settings that I don't know how to back up short of taking screenshots on my phone)
Any help would be appreciated - although I haven't seen much online, I can't be the only one having this issue.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I've gotten great help from this forum and after not finding anything of substance elsewhere, thought I would post here in case anyone has had a similar issue.

I've had my Mavic for a few months now with no issues, and recently (last month or so), it started the strange behavior of randomly stopping recording during flight, and I have not been able to diagnose the problem.

DJI support didn't help and suggested sending the drone back for repair. After seeing the stories here and on other forms (also have an Inspire 1), I'd like to avoid this if I can fix the issue beforehand.

A few facts:
  • Issue presents itself with both .500 and .400 aircraft firmware
  • Card is a Sandisk Ultra 32GB
  • All items are stock and unmodified (hardware/software)
  • I cannot trace this to a specific event although it may have started happening after the last firmware upgrade
  • Usually (but not always), this behavior happens after the first recording, which tends to be longer but still stops by itself
  • The last frame of some videos has irregularities - see this screenshot: Screenshot
  • I have not noticed any errors on the screen (but it doesn't mean they're not there), usually being alerted to the cut recording by the sound on the app

What I've tried so far:
  • I was on the .500 firmware until yesterday when I downgraded to .400 (last stable version I remember) and the problem persists
  • Reformatting the card in the drone to no avail
  • Tried to record in 2.7k (as opposed to 4k) and the issue persists
  • Got in touch with DJI and they recommended reinstalling the app which I have not done yet as I wanted to check here first (lots of customized settings that I don't know how to back up short of taking screenshots on my phone)
Any help would be appreciated - although I haven't seen much online, I can't be the only one having this issue.

Thanks!
I had this issue once before and reformatting the SD card in my CPU using fat 32, then reformatting once again in the Mavic seemed to clear it up.
Give it a go and let us know how it went.
Good luck.

Have you tried with another card?

I haven't but I'll definitely try it once I'm back at the office where I keep my media. I just can't imagine how this could be the solution since the card is Class 10 and only 32GB. At the same time I hope it works because I'm going crazy trying to figure it out!

Has anyone had issues with this specific card?

Will report back once I give this a shot. Thanks!

I had this issue once before and reformatting the SD card in my CPU using fat 32, then reformatting once again in the Mavic seemed to clear it up.
Give it a go and let us know how it went.
Good luck.

Thanks Drone Master that was one of the solutions I tried, just forgot to include in the list.

I also forgot to mention that this card was used in a GoPro for a long time (years) before I pulled it to use in this Mavic. Although I formatted it in my computer, I'll try again with a full format (as opposed to quick) and will report back.

The SD card really is the most likely thing to be causing this and one of the simplest things to fix cheaply - try another.
It doesn't hurt to format in the camera every time after you've downloaded what you want.to keep.
I usually do it while it is finding satellites.
If you simply delete files rather than format, there is a lot of hidden junk like file indexing info remains, and it can eventually give problems.

Reactions: Drone Master
I haven't but I'll definitely try it once I'm back at the office where I keep my media. I just can't imagine how this could be the solution since the card is Class 10 and only 32GB. At the same time I hope it works because I'm going crazy trying to figure it out!
Has anyone had issues with this specific card?
I mean another card (not another brand). This would be an easy way of exclusion card's defect.

Thanks Drone Master that was one of the solutions I tried, just forgot to include in the list.

I also forgot to mention that this card was used in a GoPro for a long time (years) before I pulled it to use in this Mavic. Although I formatted it in my computer, I'll try again with a full format (as opposed to quick) and will report back.
If the card is more than 2 years old. Perhaps maybe?
I have been successful with all my cards from 4 GB to 64 GB.
Cards made 3 months ago are the fastest.
Obviously, technology is ahead of our step.
Just a word of advice. There is no compromise when it comes to storage media on and on the Mavic. Some report passively but do they tell us the truth on SD memory and how it works?
I am sure some others will chime in.
For me, I'm good. Currently have 22 cards for my work.
And all is good so far.

Yep I'm really hoping it's the card as I tried reformatting it (full format not the quick format) and it's still happening.

Fingers crossed - hopefully I'll have good news on Monday!

I had this with a card that was an ultra but not quite fast enough for 4K. When it got 1/2 full the video would just start randomly stopping. I went and got a Class faster and all was well.

I had this with a card that was an ultra but not quite fast enough for 4K. When it got 1/2 full the video would just start randomly stopping. I went and got a Class faster and all was well.

Interesting what card did you upgrade to?

Tried it out today in a limited test with the new card and so far so good! So excited to hear that it was the card. New card is SanDisk Extreme 64 GB. Old card was a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB and it was either defective or a counterfeit but definitely stay away from it if you're shooting even 2.7k and my experience is any indication. Bonus that I don't have to send back to DJI!

Thanks everyone!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61