DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

video splitter trimmer cutter

Mako79

Reactions
Is there a free video cutter/trimmer/splitter without the need to re-encode?

I tried Avidemux and Photos app. To my understanding both can trim the start and the end positions of a video producing a new one trimmed.

Ideally, I would want to be able to select multiple start & end positions within the length of a video, then with a single export I get the new video having only the good scenes with no re-encode at all.

I don't think there is any way to do what you're asking. You can't trim or edit a video and not re-encode it to a new video. That's why video editing takes such a long time.

The common apps won't do that but there are 3rd party paid ones that do.

You CAN do multiple cuts without reencoding, you're just limited to cutting on source video keyframes, which will limit your cut "resolution" to 1-4 seconds typically.

I usually make one clip per section I want. You could then join those if you wanted, but I prefer them separate to import only what I want into an editor later.

The common apps won't do that but there are 3rd party paid ones that do.

You CAN do multiple cuts without reencoding, you're just limited to cutting on source video keyframes, which will limit your cut "resolution" to 1-4 seconds typically.

I usually make one clip per section I want. You could then join those if you wanted, but I prefer them separate to import only what I want into an editor later.

The 1-4sec is not deal breaker for me. I just need a free and simple editing program to remove the very bad scenes (i.e. some very quick pans) from my videos. I don't expect to produce any kind of professional outcome with this.

Having multiple separated clips is better, as you can manage them more easily etc. However, it would take much more effort to manually split them and I wouldn't want that. I would want to end up with 1-2 videos from each flight.

Many thanks,

Last edited:
Reactions: bushie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus