DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video with flight info

BigDan

Reactions
Is there any process to superimpose flight data (speed, altitude, direction, etc) onto your video?

I know there is some software to do this with other video ( auto telemetry)... but what about with the mavic?

Seems like I would need the software, recorded video and some file that had the telemetry in it.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any process to superimpose flight data (speed, altitude, direction, etc) onto your video?

I know there is some software to do this with other video ( auto telemetry)... but what about with the mavic?

Seems like I would need the software, recorded video and some file that had the telemetry in it.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best I think you'll be able to do is record whats going on on your screen in the DJI Go app. If you're on Android, this should be quite simple, iPhone you'll need to use Quicktime to record your screen.

Reactions: BigDan
You could use DashWare to overlay the flight log data. See more details about how that works here.

Reactions: wayy510 and BigDan
I'm trying out RaceRender since (1) they have a free version and (2) they run natively on a mac.

Question is, do I have to turn on data logging to get the telemetry off the mavic? ...or is it always created? ...or what's the deal. I searched for it in the manual and didn't see a setting for it. Any ideas?

I flew at lunch. Popped the card out and nothing there besides the .mov file... so there must be a setting to turn logging on.

I saw somewhere that the Mavic will save some telemetry data in the subtitle stream of the video. So load up the mov file and enable subtitles. I haven't tried yet, as mine wont be here until Monday.

I just checked on my Android phone and can see telemetry data there, not sure how to utilize it yet though as I just got my Mavic yesterday. I can see flight log data in /sdcard/DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord on my Samsung Galaxy S6 after a couple of flights.

Hope that helps at least find the data.

Reactions: BigDan
That does help, although I am a bit perplexed. I actually write software for iPhones and don't know how to gain access to a file that DJI Go may have written to the phone itself. I was looking on the mavic, but I guess it makes more sense that it's on the phone.

Hmmmm..... I keep investigating.

Thanks!

OK -- problem solved.

On my iMac I am running RaceRender3 to pull everything together. Free if you stay under 3 minutes....

On my iphone I had to install HD Sync that is an app from HealthyDrones.com to get the data off the phone [from the DJI logs] to their cloud based web app. Their website is very cool -- worth looking into. Once you're on their site, and looking at your log you can download the .csv to your imac.

Pull the video off the MAVIC. It all comes together.

Here is my first video. Not great but functional....

Reactions: Motley
nice, thanks for sharing as I am new to DJI myself and will be trying to do some data overlay on my videos soon. I was using Dashware before with my previous drone, does anyone recommend not using that going forward or does it not work with DJI telemetry data? I have not looked into that part yet either since I just got the drone.

nice, thanks for sharing as I am new to DJI myself and will be trying to do some data overlay on my videos soon. I was using Dashware before with my previous drone, does anyone recommend not using that going forward or does it not work with DJI telemetry data? I have not looked into that part yet either since I just got the drone.
I have a friend that uses Dashware with no problems. I am on a mac and wanted some native code -- which is how I got to RaceRender.

Reactions: Soundtekk
[QUOTE="I actually write software for iPhones and don't know how to gain access to a file that DJI Go may have written to the phone itself. [/QUOTE]

iTunes file share?

iTunes file share?
Yes! Plug your phone on the USB, open iTunes, go to your phone inside iTunes and scroll to the bottom, you will have access to the files the App saved inside the phone's storage. iOS "chroots" the apps, so there's no shared space like Android does, which is good and bad at the same time!

I have a friend that uses Dashware with no problems. I am on a mac and wanted some native code -- which is how I got to RaceRender.
Any input on how you got the data for RaceRender? Looks cool but not sure how to add the data file.
Thanks,

I have loaded my Mavic flyxxx.dat file after converting to csv with Datcon into Dashware with the Datcon v5 2.2.5 profile. All the data appears to be ok in the CSV except for the calculated positional values X,Y converted from long, lat degrees. As result I cannot get any map gauges to plot. Any suggestions?
Other calculated values like KPH are ok.

Please go to the main screen of the Dji Go4 app and select "ME" at the bottom right corner of the screen . Then select "More' then "Feedback" to send a request to Dji to add overlay option to the cached video . The video stream and telemetry overlay is being sent to the phone anyway so there is no reason we should have to use a 3rd party app to record what is on screen .

Hi, I am assessing whether to get the mavic pro, but I would like to see what telemetry data is stored. Would someone be kind enough to share with me a sample video and corresponding raw telemetry data generated by the mavic pro?

Check this out: Fotografia Cotidiana

It's a blog post I made explaining everything.

That's a great blog, thanks for sharing. Would it be possible to list all the parameters which are recorded in the telemetry log? I don't have a mavic yet but I would like to know before purchasing. If possible would you be able to share the original video and raw telemetry data for the footage?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato