DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vinyl covering- the tangerine dream!

I still think it's unnecessary. I live in AZ and I'm not even close to worried. If it burns up, DJI will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
i doubt it is necessary either but then I do not fly with it on, the footage is effected too much even for my eye. I would be more interested to see the front cut out giving an un-obscured view but still offering a little protection to the gimbal should the worst happen...

IMG_0284.JPG I used a hobby reamer... the plastic is actuall very hard. Had to be patient when getting the hole started. Took some effort but a simple task if you take some time.

I wonder if there is a lense filter to help with the glare caused by the nose-cone-bubble. My Mavic use will be more just for fun and FPV flying in the future, not really cinematic photography purposes. Maybe for a couple stills on our hiking and biking adventures at which point I won't use the bubble.

Reactions: lifeismusic
Covered my Mavic with Vinyl. Looked great but decided to go back and remove the skin. Turned out to be a disaster. Fortunately tried removing from one of the batteries first. Problem is that the glue does not come off easily. Tried using goof off and made things worse. The glue just spreads, is very difficult to remove and dries white on the Mavic's plastic. Has anyone successfully removed the skins and if not, think twice before installing. May be more permanent than you think.

[emoji50] omg is it like plasti dip? Goes on nice but turns into crap later as it cracks , fractures and peels leaving the lil bird looking hideous[emoji102][emoji32]

Sent from [emoji211]

Covered my Mavic with Vinyl. Looked great but decided to go back and remove the skin. Turned out to be a disaster. Fortunately tried removing from one of the batteries first. Problem is that the glue does not come off easily. Tried using goof off and made things worse. The glue just spreads, is very difficult to remove and dries white on the Mavic's plastic. Has anyone successfully removed the skins and if not, think twice before installing. May be more permanent than you think.

A trick I've learned over the years, when trying to remove adhesive left behind from stickers, etc, is to use masking tape to pull the adhesive off from the item. I will put the masking tape over the adhesive and press it down really good, then start lifting the masking tape off slowly and kind of work it, it will pull the adhesive off with it. Usually requires repeated applications, but it will pull it off and no mess from trying to use cleaners.

Rubbing alcohol is the best we tried. You can get rid of the leftover glue on the mavic surface by rubbing it with a alcohol-soaked cloth. Alcohol dry up quickly and will leave the surface clean.

GOOF OFF is the worst and google the web that you would find many complaint about GOOF OFF.

Last edited:
I use the MaskingTape trick a lot on the bodies of my RC Cars when painting... works great for removing and cleaning up decal residue as well...

Thanks for the suggestion guys. You are correct, and Goof Off was not the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. You are correct, and Goof Off was not the way to go.
Did you manage to clean it up Mem?

I am a little worried that even using alcohol could take the finish off the Mavic and turn the plastic a lighter colour, cannot remember the correct term for it.

Did you manage to clean it up Mem?

I am a little worried that even using alcohol could take the finish off the Mavic and turn the plastic a lighter colour, cannot remember the correct term for it.

Leaching? Could also lead to crazing.

Reactions: chippie
@damaltore and @Baldyloxx

Thanks for the masking tape suggestion. Worked very well and the Mavic has been salvaged.

Too bad I ruined a battery with the Goof Off and am grateful I didn't try on the Mavic body first.

Still a pain in the *** to remove the skin, and owners should be aware. This is not like the Phantom where stickers pulled off easily.

@damaltore and @Baldyloxx

Thanks for the masking tape suggestion. Worked very well and the Mavic has been salvaged.

Too bad I ruined a battery with the Goof Off and am grateful I didn't try on the Mavic body first.

Still a pain in the *** to remove the skin, and owners should be aware. This is not like the Phantom where stickers pulled off easily.

Glad it worked out for you.

Understandable, you'll certainly know it's yours from a distance! I'm actually considering the white for a Storm Trooper look, but the orange does stand out a lot more... I'd love to see someone with the red!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
I did the red.. I think I like orange better..
Mine are NOT Taco though. I ordered a generic set the day Taco released the red.

I only did half front to help with orientation. I chose red so it would be easily seen in the sky and along the trees.

IMG_0441.JPG

Decal%20Batt.jpg

20161209_101221_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I did the red.. I think I like orange better..
Mine are NOT Taco though. I ordered a generic set the day Taco released the red.

I only did half front to help with orientation. I chose red so it would be easily seen in the sky and along the trees.

Thanks for sharing!! I like it, kind of Iron Man-esque [emoji41] still undecided if I'll do a full wrap [emoji848] love the extra visibility though, especially among trees!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Mako79
I just bought a roll of reflective tape to mark the legs and under side for visibility
bbd7961a2d534c2dfd909383d060ca40.jpg

Reactions: grizzard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929