DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Was I jammed flying near a sporting event?

mavicpilotca

Reactions
I was recently at a friend's house near a major sporting event. It was a night event and there were probably 10-20k people at the event. The house was about 1/2 mile away and I was in the backyard showing the folks there the Mavic. I launched it straight up and we could easily see the venue. A few people asked me to fly closer. Now I wasn't planning on flying right over the arena, but I didn't see much harm flying a few hundred yards to the side of the arena. I was flying -- if I recall correctly -- about 250 feet in the air. As I was about to cross the major street which separates the residential area with the grounds of the venue, I could see on the phone screen a major shake. The camera view rotated about 30 degrees to the side. Since the gimbal is fixed in a straight position this could only mean (I think) that the drone itself was somehow was interfered with. I didn't see anything physical in the video, like a bird, so I do think that likely there was some type of RF jamming going on. I was able to quickly get back safely, but even in the some of the return footage and while I was landing straight down into the backyard I could see the shaking. I don't think there was any physical damage because I did do a 10 minute testflight when I returned home and I didn't notice anything unusual.

Have any of you heard of anything like this? I have done some google searching and did see that these rifle-like jammers do exist. But most of the ones I have seen just block the RF signal, and in most cases as long as the GPS still works the drone would engage RTH since it would just function as if the signal was lost. The fact that my drone was acting erratically is a bit different.

* I also realize that it was very stupid of me to even attempt to fly near a sporting event and I have also discovered, since this happened that there could be serious repercussions, including jail time, for flying above/near a sporting event. The articles I read discussed specific sports (the one I was at was not on this list) and venues with 30k + people, not the case here. At the time, it didn't seem very risky or dangerous -- I was very high, it was dark, I was not flying over the venue, etc., etc. In hindsight and after the shaking, it clearly was a dumb thing to do.

Reactions: andy966
If you're in the US, I doubt it was jamming as it is illegal here to use that technology. Could have been something else just coincidental.
Still, you are right about it being a bad idea.

Well you are not supposed to fly 30 minutes past sunset. So technically if you got caught you would have faced fines or penalties of some sort.

Reactions: shevlin
What? Americans have to be in bed by dark?
I fly probably 40% at night and love it.....

I don't make the rules svavar. I agree that it is silly but if the purpose is safety, then I understand.

It's not a rule for hobbyists, in regards to the venue, it's likely a GPS issue blocking you from flying near a major sporting event. I once flew near an NFL stadium and received a warning that I was entering a no fly zone. My quad immediately stopped and began to land. I was able to turn it around and head back to safety.

Reactions: Bunny Too
I live in the US. Are there rules prohibiting flying at night. I've haven't done it yet because I'm relatively new and get low light warnings even at dusk

Reactions: Alyssii
It was 100% not a twitchy finger. Even if it was, there is no way to make the drone move the way it did. I'll post it so you can see later or tomorrow.

It was 100% not a twitchy finger. Even if it was, there is no way to make the drone move the way it did. I'll post it so you can see later or tomorrow.
You were flying in or near a no fly zone, just check the location on Airmaps or UAV Forecast. Not sure why your Mavic responded the way it did, a message should've appeared along with a red warning banner or circle. Flight logs should confirm the aforementioned.

Does your Mavic fly fine since this incident? If so, yeah something wonkey happened unique to that flight. If not, then obviously there's an ongoing problem with the craft.

Don't know what happened of course but you did fly over a street, which is illegal!
Canada has just come out with new recreational rules which pretty much means the end of recreational flying except for extreme remote areas.

A couple of things come to mind. If it was a major sporting event, there could've been a temporary no-fly restriction in which case the geo-fencing may have kicked in. The other possible scenario is that major sporting events often might have a lot of interference from TV satellite trucks and other wireless communication plus often the set up temporary cell towers ringing the stadiums. Maybe you just got a big dose of interference.

Major sporting events, concerts etc have all kinds of transmission noise from radios etc. I'm sure they have special permits to operate their equipment for those events. I think your Mavic just came across some congested frequencies. In the past that would have resulted in a "flyaway".

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61