DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water falls...

Marco Cantieni

Reactions
Filmed at the location of "Allerheiligen Waterfalls" Black Forest. I had no GPS there.

footage is good, but does anyone else notice almost 50% of the picture is blurry???

I think I see what your saying. Maybe due to that narrow channel he was in? There's a lot both in the foreground and background. Seems like depending on where the focus on, foreground or background, the other isn't quite as sharp. What's the solution for those conditions?

I do like this clip regardless

If you right click and go to 'Stats for Nerds', it shows 30fps and lots of dropped frames. Extreme foliage loves to eat bit rate but while 60fps would generally show more detail, I hear that 1080p 60fps looks like crap on the Mavic, so... limited options... and I suspect that youtube makes a lot of adjustments in an effort to try and "fix" the upload. Youtube reencodes all videos regardless of the upload format. vp9 (Google's compression codec) is notorious for causing issues too. Chrome also renders videos much worse than IE11.
In the end.. Probably best to shoot 2.7k 30fps, don't zoom in more than x2, and export to 1080p 30fps.

Great shots though. Enjoyed the vid.

Last edited:
When I was screening the raw footage I also noticed that somewhat blurred image. I've shot in 4k 30fps with a shutter speed of 120. This alone results in a smoother image. The scene has a lot of details the 60mbit compression in the Mavic has a hard time to reproduce.

Did you notice any unusual or unwanted issues flying in such a narrow canyon with no GPS?
I have some similar locations close to me but I have been too nervous to fly there knowing that GPS would be maybe 1 or 2 at most.

I had no GPS the entire time. The Mavic mostly choose to fly in visual mode which restricts to a certain height. I experienced switches to Atti mode a few times that is kinda shocking if you're not prepared to suddendly have a driftig drone. I even had one situation where Mavic was constantly switching from visual to Atti. In that 15sec my stick movements didn't came through. Very scary moment. I later checked the log saying 'Abnormal compass or GPS signal detected, switching to Atti mode". It is understandable that the Mavic is losing GPS and visual in this environment, however this error message doesn't fit besides the fact my stick movement didn't came through.

After receiving some constructive critique in a german forum I decided to release an altered version of this footage. I've changed the aspect ratio 16:9 instead of 2.35:1 That way more nature is revealed. The score has been changed and cut fitted to it. See for yourself

Reactions: Tharba07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada