DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water Landing Gear

sapper333

Reactions
Any recommendations for any kind of water landing gear out there in the market?

I live near water and this would be a great safety net.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Mike_Flys
If you search the forum threads by using the search function (the magnifying glass at the upper right of the Mavic Forum page) you may find info on this.

I can tell you I am not aware of anything that is commercially available out there in the line of water landing gear for the Mavic, and given its low ground clearance I can't imagine anything that would work or that I would trust with my machine.

I would caution you to tread softly down this road, though, as the Mavic is a finely tuned engineered machine, and any alteration to its original design, i.e., floats, etc., may have seriously bad consequences. Something to always consider whenever you mess around with the Mavic's original thought-out design. And just so you know, using any Mavic accessories not made by DJI voids your DJI warranty, including landing gear, props, prop protectors, anything.

I also live in a water-based environment so I know what you are facing. However, I would advise you to simply work with your environment instead of forcing a square peg into a round hole. Electricity and water simply do not mix, and your Mavic is a mass of circuits, chips, and electric connections, signals and impulses. Water would be one of the Mavic's natural enemies. I can't think of a good reason to purposely put the two together that still fits in with good ol' common sense.

If you search the forum threads by using the search function (the magnifying glass at the upper right of the Mavic Forum page) you may find info on this.

I can tell you I am not aware of anything that is commercially available out there in the line of water landing gear for the Mavic, and given its low ground clearance I can't imagine anything that would work or that I would trust with my machine.

I would caution you to tread softly down this road, though, as the Mavic is a finely tuned engineered machine, and any alteration to its original design, i.e., floats, etc., may have seriously bad consequences. Something to always consider whenever you mess around with the Mavic's original thought-out design. And just so you know, using any Mavic accessories not made by DJI voids your DJI warranty, including landing gear, props, prop protectors, anything.

I also live in a water-based environment so I know what you are facing. However, I would advise you to simply work with your environment instead of forcing a square peg into a round hole. Electricity and water simply do not mix, and your Mavic is a mass of circuits, chips, and electric connections, signals and impulses. Water would be one of the Mavic's natural enemies. I can't think of a good reason to purposely put the two together that still fits in with good ol' common sense.

Thank you very much for the great insights.

No problem. Glad I could be of help to you. Good luck, have fun flying and filming and grabbing some good pictures, too. Think about posting some of the images you come up with here sometime. Always good to see someone else's terrain, techniques and approaches.

You folks crack me up wanting to land these birds of circuit boards and electricity on water. I don't get it...

I bought the foam balls off amazon and they seem to work.
Have flown a lot with them but not ditched in water- yet- lol
Mavic seems not to notice except in catching more wind!
Fell off of edge of table while landing once and 1 ball did come off-

No problem. Glad I could be of help to you. Good luck, have fun flying and filming and grabbing some good pictures, too. Think about posting some of the images you come up with here sometime. Always good to see someone else's terrain, techniques and approaches.

Happy to share the latest.
c3deb8814c7cfce3d02439a89a450743.jpg
0b3dd37bdc4a99ec33883b2f1f75c221.jpg

Reactions: CC Rider
You folks crack me up wanting to land these birds of circuit boards and electricity on water. I don't get it...

I don't think it's about "wanting" to. More of "if needed".

When you are surrounded by water and most of your flight time is over it, it does not hurt to have a plan B for emergency landing and/or recovery.

Reactions: Explorer
OK, I JUST LOST my MP in the water (200 ft under so couldn't make good on my insurance as they need the drone for proof) and just bought a new one ( gave me 15% off -debatable whether my fault of not). I just bought the 'THEKKIINNGG' foam water landing gear. I looked at all the options I could find. The way I see it is that *if* you have the refresh insurance, and *if* it would float with the 'THEKKIINNGG' landing gear (even if the waves brushed over it and frapped out the circuitry) , that might mean you could retrieve it more easily and this plan might be good ....for at least the year of coverage. By no means would i ever want to actually land on water other than for a last ditch effort- Unfortunately, in my case i stupidly didn't buy the insurance again as I opted for this langing gear as an after thought- i'd seen them prior but hadn't really scrutinized the video. I'm too chicken to land it in my hot tub but here's a short quip of boring back yard flight only to say it's everything as advertised (short of showing it land in water in my demo) and I really like this landing gear. I'm going to find out how much extra juice i loose out on and the wind effect as alluded to in the above post. I was going to do a picture in picture vid but messed up - i did not see the balls showing up in the mavics video (not shown here) in sport mode like in other on line vids.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YmtXOVBLOHEzVGlPNTNwRVBhQkNqWjJZQTFObTNR

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I've it... its working really good on water;) only limits is fly in wind, in this case the flight time came short

I am thinking about buying thekkiiing. I dont plan on ever using it, but if I have a problem, at least I wont totally lose it in the water.

I went to Vietnam recently and was flying around to different islands. I was concerned about it going down in the water. I like the floaties.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS