DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Way off level (actual MV-P, not gimbal)

Crayons

Reactions
Seen some issues about levelling horizon, all seem related to Gimbal.

I've only just recently unboxed mine (all latest firmwares updated) and realised some of my footage is shockingly off level. Compass, IMU and Gimbal calibrated. Makes no difference. Just took off and noticed the drone itself is WAY off level. Stood directly behind it and took this pic.

Anyone?

K-BRkLmr8EcdjQRzsoE_av3pp100BrRarc7XmdcEskk

You sure it's not just wobbling to keep itself stable in the wind. I'm sure the drone would start moving left if it was always like that.

Reactions: Crayons
I had this issue with 0600. I downgraded to 0400. It's now instantly leveled on quick movements.

On 0600 I noticed with mine it was slowly leveling itself out. But footage had an angle. I could see in footage horizon leveling and this was after I fixed my gimbal roll manually.

You may want to try 0400 firmware on both mavic and RC. Doesn't hurt. If your not happy you just upgrade back.

But I'm staying on 0400 for a while until new firmware comes out and others test the waters for me.

TIP....

Make sure you power on from level ground for gimbal to do proper initiation.

Also check your alignment. I setup grid in camera settings to see lines on my phone screen. I then found leveled floor in my house that was near leveled furniture to make sure lines would match up. I even placed a book on floor to help me find correct level and use the gimbal roll adjustment to align the horizon properly.

All my footage is level.

fa9667edff5ddad960f617061caf9b02.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
You sure it's not just wobbling to keep itself stable in the wind. I'm sure the drone would start moving left if it was always like that.

YES. I am an idiot. I just checked in the back garden and it's level. It was a 20kmh wind from the drone's left which would explain the level. Thank you for that! :) (though I still have to fix the of level footage. Will do the gimbal manual level thing I've seen YouTubed)

Mine even with wind does not affect gimbal. The Gimbal should still remain pretty steady regardless of the corrections the Mavic is doing for wind.

CORRECTION... Camera or footage should remain steady... Gimbal will move to maintain camera level.

Now on 0600 I noticed there was a small few seconds delay before gimbal would level.

I thought it was only during Initiation but after a few flights today I noticed it did this during flight.

Maybe it's just me, but when I went back to 0400 FW my camera levels instantly and image barely affect if any.

Mike

Mine even with wind does not affect gimbal. The Gimbal should still remain pretty steady regardless of the corrections the Mavic is doing for wind.

CORRECTION... Camera or footage should remain steady... Gimbal will move to maintain camera level.

Now on 0600 I noticed there was a small few seconds delay before gimbal would level.

I thought it was only during Initiation but after a few flights today I noticed it did this during flight.

Maybe it's just me, but when I went back to 0400 FW my camera levels instantly and image barely affect if any.

Mike
I actually noticed that too. I thought I just didn't notice it before.

Hi guys, any news on this? I'm experiencing the same issues and can't seem to find a fix. It was suggested to calibrate the IMU but I'm not sure how that will help, I thought the IMU was to control the quad's gps, compass and positioning system etc? Isn't the gimbal independent? Any help appreciated. Happy to try, but don't want to create a new issue...

Hi guys, any news on this? I'm experiencing the same issues and can't seem to find a fix. It was suggested to calibrate the IMU but I'm not sure how that will help, I thought the IMU was to control the quad's gps, compass and positioning system etc? Isn't the gimbal independent? Any help appreciated. Happy to try, but don't want to create a new issue...
The IMU is in charge of monitoring inertia. A badly calibrated IMU can cause the drone to behave erratically.

IMU calibration made no difference for me. Through reading on this forum and my own observations I've narrowed it down I think. Seems to be after moving at higher speed (not super fast, just more than a crawl) for a period - particularly if yawing off to the side. Sometimes my horizon settles back OK and sometimes not.

It was suggested to replace the M-P but it seems so many have the issue I am not sure I will do that. Don't want to send it off just to still have the same problem.

I've also found a really quick fix... even if the horizon is off by 5 degrees or so all it takes is one touch (0.1) of the gimbal roll adjust and it levels itself again. So I'm going to set one of the customisable remote buttons to do that.

The fact that it can find level again immediately if prompted by the smallest increment change on the gimbal roll adjustment (i.e. it's doing it itself - it doesn't seem to need correcting manually... just prompting) leads me to hope that it might be fixed in a firmware update.

Thanks, that's where I was coming from, couldn't connect IMU and gimbal in my mind, seems like two completely systems... I'm like you, it's off and an issue, but not enough to send it back. I don't find it that bad when recording video, it's when I'm trying to get a still using AEB that it's a pain! The drift is quite noticeable on slower shutter still (sunsets etc).

IMU calibration made no difference for me. Through reading on this forum and my own observations I've narrowed it down I think. Seems to be after moving at higher speed (not super fast, just more than a crawl) for a period - particularly if yawing off to the side. Sometimes my horizon settles back OK and sometimes not.

It was suggested to replace the M-P but it seems so many have the issue I am not sure I will do that. Don't want to send it off just to still have the same problem.

I've also found a really quick fix... even if the horizon is off by 5 degrees or so all it takes is one touch (0.1) of the gimbal roll adjust and it levels itself again. So I'm going to set one of the customisable remote buttons to do that.

The fact that it can find level again immediately if prompted by the smallest increment change on the gimbal roll adjustment (i.e. it's doing it itself - it doesn't seem to need correcting manually... just prompting) leads me to hope that it might be fixed in a firmware update.

You don't need a button for that. Just hold C2 and while holding it turn the wheel on the right side. A green crosshair will show on screen and by turning the wheel you can adjust gimbal roll. No need to enter the menu in flight. Works any time.

You don't need a button for that. Just hold C2 and while holding it turn the wheel on the right side. A green crosshair will show on screen and by turning the wheel you can adjust gimbal roll. No need to enter the menu in flight. Works any time.
On what firmware, becuase it does not work on .500, .550, .600 firmware. Have tried many times and no go?

I just tried on .0600 and works like a treat (on a table at least) haven't tried it while flying though...

On what firmware, because it does not work on .500, .550, .600 firmware. Have tried many times and no go?
.600 and it works in flight too. I always calibrate gimbal on ground on flat surface, but if i have to adjust this is the easiest way to do so.

My C2 is set to flip the gimbal to look down or to horizon, but i don't think it matters.
Hold C2, and the green lines will show if you turn the wheel.

I made a quick video(horrible lighting in my room, but it is visible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots