DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Well, it finally happened! CRASH!

F6Rider

Reactions
Well, after almost 4 years and 3 quads I finally managed to crash one, bummer! Was in sport mode flashing across the sky (well, almost) and started into a tight turn over some trees, same spot and altitude as always, about 20 feet above the tree tops. Didn't realize I was turning into a stiff wind and the Mavic pitched into the wind and dropped 15' or so in the blink of an eye (mine at least) and clipped a tree limb, and down she went in a death spiral into the tall grass about 2000' away. Couple of good things here, first off the Marco Polo Tracker works AWESOMELY!!, found the bird in 15 minutes, most of which was taken up in driving to the general location, the MP walked me right up to the Mavic, other good thing is the grass was nice and tall so cushioned the controlled landing (crash). So now I get to test DJI care refresh in all its glory, Not much damage but the camera/gimbal did separate from the body, other than that it looks fine and only shows the gimbal motor overload warning when powered up. She has been packed up and shipped to DJI repair in Carson, CA, at least its close to me. Will decide to use the care refresh or not once I get the bill. Definitely pilot error, I should have remembered the altitude drop in sport mode.

OUCH! Not fun. Some lessons are for the good though.

Did you register online repair and did you have your own box and label to ship it? I crash mine today and gimbal detach from the base. :(

Sorry to hear that! Keep us posted how the Care Refresh or out of pocket repair goes.;)
By the way, how'd the Marco Polo weather the storm? Did it remain stuck to the velcro without any slippage?
The tracker tag stayed on fine, leg extensions came off and I lost one strobe, found the extensions but not the one strobe.

Reactions: Warlord13
Did you register online repair and did you have your own box and label to ship it? I crash mine today and gimbal detach from the base. :(
I feel your pain, I did the entire return online as I had my proof of purchase and care refresh doc's in pdf to upload to them, sent it back in the original box inside a normal box with bubble wrap. Start to finish with UPS drop off about 1 hour. DJI provided the return label.

I feel your pain, I did the entire return online as I had my proof of purchase and care refresh doc's in pdf to upload to them, sent it back in the original box inside a normal box with bubble wrap. Start to finish with UPS drop off about 1 hour. DJI provided the return label.
I got it as a gift. I don't have a receipt. Can I just print the online repair form and ship it to them. I'm going to Peru March 23 I would like to ship mine out asap so I can get it before the 23th.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.PNG
    IMG_1242.PNG
    492.2 KB · Views: 147
F6rider. What do you mean by "I should have remembered the altitude drop in sport mode"? I had something similar happen.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Ouch @F6Rider! Sorry to hear it! I know you've been around awhile and are quite experienced...it happens to the best of us ;) Hope it's a quick turnaround at the DJI facility.

Thanks for sharing and a good lesson to remember.

Sport mode sure is fun but learned yesterday how much practice I need.

Reactions: Advexure
How are you attaching the Marco Polo to the Mavic?.

F6Rider, sucks about the crash. Nice to see you in good spirits. Hopefully you'll be back in the sky soon!

Ouch @F6Rider! Sorry to hear it! I know you've been around awhile and are quite experienced...it happens to the best of us ;) Hope it's a quick turnaround at the DJI facility.
Thanks, totally my fault, let my attention lapse for a few seconds and that's all it took, got to really pay attention in sport mode @ WOT, I looked at the track data and it showed 108' as I went into the turn, and 85 as I came out, stick monitor showed no down control movement so it must have been a combination of the tight turn and turning into a stiff wind, or a down draft or combination of all three, the perfect storm so to speak, top branch of the tree was at 87' so I just clipped it. I was surprised at how little damage the Mavic sustained. DJI repair will get it on Monday so it will be interesting to track the repair/replacement.

Reactions: Advexure
Yea what is this "altitude drop in sport mode"?
Under certain conditions when at full throttle I found turning into the wind will result in a drop in altitude, not much but some, it seems the downward tilt of the fuselage exposes the top to more downward pressure from the wind pushing the Mavic down. It was my bad luck that this happened when I was just a few feet above a tree. This never happens in normal mode, or in sport without turning into a high wind, I got a high wind warning just before impact with the tree limb. As a test hover in sport at 30' and hit full throttle, and watch it drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superjam
pics of the carnage?
Had it shipped out to DJI within 3 hours, only damage was 2 props and the separated camera/gimbal, falling into the high grass saved it from any other damage (i think), external anyway. But a lesson to all, if it hadn't been for the Tracker I would never of found it in foot tall grass & weeds.

Under certain conditions when at full throttle I found turning into the wind will result in a drop in altitude, not much but some, it seems the downward tilt of the fuselage exposes the top to more downward pressure from the wind pushing the Mavic down. It was my bad luck that this happened when I was just a few feet above a tree. This never happens in normal mode, or in sport without turning into a high wind, I got a high wind warning just before impact with the tree limb. As a test hover in sport at 30' and hit full throttle, and watch it drop.
Yes, i almost found out the hard way. I did a full throttle standing start from 5 meters over water. Pinned it and it picked up speed and dropped to 1 meter before i noticed it. It no doubt would have kept decreasing alt while pitching forward.
I quickly had both stickes jammed fowrard and climbed to safety.
My heart skipped a beat. Then about 10 seconds later i got that current overcharge warning from max climb and forward flight haha.
Sport mode can be fun ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov