DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What flotation devices are available?

Spanishcop

Reactions
So I'm interested in a flotation device. I'll be filming some beaches and will be doing some water flying.

Someone posted this picture made from 3d printing but I don't have a 3d printer. Wondering if anything like this is sold or available for the Mavic for recovery incase something was to go wrong.

Here is the pic posted by a member...
a6a4684a22d96c64f41fe6bd4e30c6b3.jpg

Any suggestions please....
Please provide pic and link if possible.

Thanks so much
Mike

There are companies that will print out a file you send them, and he has made the files available.

You could also try to find a "maker space" in your area. These typically have all sorts of things used for making stuff that might be too expensive for an individual to buy, and usually include a 3D printer.

I've been actually looking at 3d printers and they are not too expensive for some of the cheaper ones to get started. What type of file do I need it to support?

Reactions: Spanishcop
Yeah I figured but I'm calling it "helping out the inventor" fee. Might as well pay it forward.

I was considering adding some type of flotation device to the existing skids I have.
990c7d95cb84944b0f6c5facfe86c88f.jpg

My only worry would be the weight. As of now it flies very well with skid. But I'm worried adding flotation to it may slow down mavic in air.... And well we have already seen situations in which mavic has had to deal with wind as is.

Obviously I will not be using skid if I went with these 4 balls for flotation device. Just wondering what alternatives out there or an attachment for skids. Trying it keep options available.

Mike

Ok, I finally got my floats from King. Not bad I have to say. A little flimsy and would love to see an aluminum variant. I like the snug fit and attention to detail. I went ahead and put a dab of glue to the buttons holding the balls to secure. All in all I like it an I can't wait to test. There is a lake near by that I have been avoiding. Would love to scare the coons away for the mallards.
996bd5a587ecee5b434b70d342bfec9f.jpg
ea364ab9bbfa51dc1ca2fe47a05b12ae.jpg
acc82394b488a5e0706731442ccc6241.jpg
3d8bdce295263f46a5871aa22fa9886d.jpg

Spanishcop, I made the floats by Noel as its my picture you have posted. All tests I have done with this type have tested positive. Stability from Mavic is still the same and flight charteristics still same and responsive. I have tested in 15 knots of wind and had no problems flying the Mavic. I did loose on average about 4 to 5 minutes of flight time per battery. The Mavic will land and take off with no problem from water with this system but it is designed mainly as a recovery system should something bad go wrong and you are forced to land on water or the Mavic force lands or does not make it home you can recover it from serface of the water.
If you do not have a 3D printer just go to www.3dhubs.com and select the nearest hub closet to you at the price of your choice and have the print printed and shiped to you, you then cut and add your own pool noodle to lenght. You can add front and back plastic cups as I did for aerodynamics. I used the shells from toys found in $2 shops from minions.
3a773173538de1eaf368e1785331f624.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaComms
hmmm , a couple of clear 20 oz empty water bottles velcroed to the bottom of the legs should do the trick just as well .

How do the balls get attached to the rear legs?
Compression mostly. The tolerances are less than a hair thin so it literally hugs the motor mount and arm. There is a slot for the plastic standoffs which kinda acts like a button. Then it's a 3d printed hard hollow tube and then a plastic button at the end to hold down the ball. I'll give him props for the design. Over priced yes but hopefully mine and a couple of other purchases bring the price down because of demand. I want to see an aluminum/rubber lined one in the future. If not, I will ask permission for a one-off that I will ask to be milled. It takes the same amount of time to attach with or without the balls. By the time I was done attaching the balls and buttoning them up, 47 seconds passed which is the same time it took to carefully attach them with the balls on them.

Spanishcop, I made the floats by Noel as its my picture you have posted. All tests I have done with this type have tested positive. Stability from Mavic is still the same and flight charteristics still same and responsive. I have tested in 15 knots of wind and had no problems flying the Mavic. I did loose on average about 4 to 5 minutes of flight time per battery. The Mavic will land and take off with no problem from water with this system but it is designed mainly as a recovery system should something bad go wrong and you are forced to land on water or the Mavic force lands or does not make it home you can recover it from serface of the water.
If you do not have a 3D printer just go to www.3dhubs.com and select the nearest hub closet to you at the price of your choice and have the print printed and shiped to you, you then cut and add your own pool noodle to lenght. You can add front and back plastic cups as I did for aerodynamics. I used the shells from toys found in $2 shops from minions.
3a773173538de1eaf368e1785331f624.jpg
Where can I locate the file to have this printed?

I have a friend printing it for me. I'll have to see how it turns out tomorrow.

I'm contemplating "professional" helicopter floats: Helimax Floats
The ones for .30-.40 helis are 23" inches long, which is a little too long for Mavic, but they are (supposedly) much lighter than pool noodles.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake