DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is a near-perfect focal point?

Qoncussion

Reactions
I know, focus has been discussed to death here - but here's my question:

Is there a nearly perfect focal distance that you can set the camera to upon takeoff, then switch to manual and just leave it? Implied in this question is that one would raise the Mavic to the equivalent height and simply focus on the ground.

I typically shoot landscape (mountains, lakes...etc.), and would love to just be able (sometimes) to fly around and get some decent footage without thinking about the point of focus every few seconds.

I have seen in many threads here that one user will set their focus at 42 feet, another at 10M...and so on. Has any nailed down the perfect formula for this yet?

If you know what a "hyperfocal distance" is, then you can say it is somewhere like 13 meters.

However, as resolution goes up, the concept of hyperfocal distance or even depth of field becomes much more subjective. What is "sharp enough?" Only the objects at the focal plane are in the best focus possible, and everything else is worse... but is it unacceptably bad? That's up to you.

Personally, on the Mavic I usually set it somewhere "out there" about a third of the way to the horizon, and leave it. If I were shooting a detail or a closer activity, I would focus on the area of the activity.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Agreed, halley... I have found that somewhere 'out there' seems to be the sweet-ish spot; not too far, but certainly not the 13m I've seen posted here on a few occasions. Especially not for mountainous landscape shooting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun