DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is ATTI mode

It stands for Attitude mode. It basically means your Mavic will hover steadily in its vertical position, but it will drift with the wind since it's not and/or cannot use GPS to hold its horizontal position.

TJ has posted acronyms at the top of the Discussion page. (Sticky)!
Just in case you wanted to explore those.

Reactions: JimP Florida
So I'm interested then if you're indoors and in ATTI mode, then your Mavic acquired GPS, say through the greenhouse window, will it stabilise more or could it move about as it relocates its position. If so is this why there are many mishaps indoors? I would like to try indoors but am a little worried.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

will it stabilise more or could it move about as it relocates its position
It should be able to hold its position better with GPS. When the GPS reconnects, it should not all of the sudden start moving to relocate to a previous position.

Be careful with flying indoors unless you're referring to a large, wide open building. Many Mavics have been damaged by people thinking it would be fun to fly indoors. Go pick up a Cheerson for flying indoors ;)

Last edited:
So I'm interested then if you're indoors and in ATTI mode, then your Mavic acquired GPS, say through the greenhouse window, will it stabilise more or could it move about as it relocates its position. If so is this why there are many mishaps indoors? I would like to try indoors but am a little worried.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you are indoors <3m with sufficient lights, then the controller should switch to P-OPTI (position hold using optical flow VPS) and the Mavic should be rock solid. If however you fly higher than 3m or in a dark environment and blocked from the skies, then highly likely you will be in ATTI. This means small wind movements from a fan or open window can cause the mavic to drift into walls. This is why pilots are crashing indoors (and not to mention orienteering and confused with stick commands).

So I'm presuming that if the mavic doesn't see satelites right away, that it activates in atti mode automatically? I just got mine yesterday and was gonna start firmware updates. When I powered up the controller it started in atti mode. Then it started picking up satelites, and as I was more attentive to my gji go app, I think it went to gps mode from there.

Is there a manual switch in the software to force it one way or the other?

Sadly, no, at least not yet. I'd prefer to be able to manually disable GPS positioning when signal is borderline because position fixes can vary pretty dramatically with a low sat count and poor reception. My theory (or perhaps fear) is that this could lead to unexpected shifts in position when in tight quarters with it in GPS mode.

Also when flying indoors remember to disable RTH, otherwise if your signal is interrupted (quite likely in a cluttered environment with pcs and wifi routers), the craft will shoot up to the RTH altitiude.
When I was giving a demo to a colleague and let him fly indoors he switched off the controller while the craft was still hovering.
Oops.
Luckily I caught it before it hit the roof and only suffered a few scratches. *Reflexes like a tiger I tell you* :D

if your signal is interrupted (quite likely in a cluttered environment with pcs and wifi routers), the craft will shoot up to the RTH altitiude.
You can avoid this issue by setting the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover".

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

If you are indoors <3m with sufficient lights, then the controller should switch to P-OPTI (position hold using optical flow VPS) and the Mavic should be rock solid. If however you fly higher than 3m or in a dark environment and blocked from the skies, then highly likely you will be in ATTI. This means small wind movements from a fan or open window can cause the mavic to drift into walls. This is why pilots are crashing indoors (and not to mention orienteering and confused with stick commands).
Mako, you are describing exactly what happened to me. But what I'm wondering is WHY when it switches to ATTI mode am I not able to control the drone? Like you said, once I reached ~3m, it switched from OPTI to ATTI and started slowly drafting backwards towards the wall. When I saw this happening I pushed left stick up full forward pitch but the drone did not respond at all to that forward command. Instead it hit the rotors against the wall for a while, eventually regained OPTI, and I could then land. ATTI seems to mean "just idle and don't respond" to me. Why tho?

This might be a newbie question but with this function in the remote what would cause all the fly-aways I have read about? I know there are other factors that go into communication loss between the craft and the remote but I would think with this function any loss of communication would send the craft into the chosen option above.

This might be a newbie question but with this function in the remote what would cause all the fly-aways I have read about?
Every case is different. Most of them are caused by some type of pilot error.

Also when flying indoors remember to disable RTH, otherwise if your signal is interrupted (quite likely in a cluttered environment with pcs and wifi routers), the craft will shoot up to the RTH altitiude.
When I was giving a demo to a colleague and let him fly indoors he switched off the controller while the craft was still hovering.
Oops.
Luckily I caught it before it hit the roof and only suffered a few scratches. *Reflexes like a tiger I tell you* :D
Not bad at all. Amazing what Panic Mode will product. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143