DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is ATTI mode

I agree with 96p993. I had this exact issue when flying indoors. In my case I was in OPTI mode, but ended up in a part of the room that was darker and the drone shifted to ATTI, but instead of accepting any input from the sticks it flew backwards at high speed and crashed into the wall detaching the gimbal. I get that it shifts to ATTI mode, but becoming completely unresponsive is not acceptable. I've also read that this is happening even in GPS mode, something happens, the drone shifts to ATTI mode and depending on the circumstances your either able to fly in ATTI or hopefully you have enough height that it reconnects and stabilizes. I flew a phantom 3 Standard for quite some time and never had any issues with it. You'd expect the Mavic to be so much better.

Reactions: NaiveFlight
I agree with 96p993. I had this exact issue when flying indoors. In my case I was in OPTI mode, but ended up in a part of the room that was darker and the drone shifted to ATTI, but instead of accepting any input from the sticks it flew backwards at high speed and crashed into the wall detaching the gimbal. I get that it shifts to ATTI mode, but becoming completely unresponsive is not acceptable. I've also read that this is happening even in GPS mode, something happens, the drone shifts to ATTI mode and depending on the circumstances your either able to fly in ATTI or hopefully you have enough height that it reconnects and stabilizes. I flew a phantom 3 Standard for quite some time and never had any issues with it. You'd expect the Mavic to be so much better.

This is so disappointing to hear, I wonder if it's just software versions that create this disability, reading things like these scare me. What if dji doesn't accept to replace even with dji care refresh?

Reactions: Wim Van Tittelboom
Hello everybody ! What will happen if , after RTH started ( any kind ) , the Mavic will lose GPS signal / reception ( the take off was right) ? Will it switch in ATTI mode ? How could we manage the fly , especially in the critical situation of no LOS ? Thank you

What will happen if , after RTH started ( any kind ) , the Mavic will lose GPS signal / reception ( the take off was right) ? Will it switch in ATTI mode
If the Mavic switches to ATTI mode after it has started returning home, it'll auto land at its current location.

Hello everybody ! What will happen if , after RTH started ( any kind ) , the Mavic will lose GPS signal / reception ( the take off was right) ? Will it switch in ATTI mode ? How could we manage the fly , especially in the critical situation of no LOS ? Thank you

I have never had an outdoor flight where any of my drones have switched to ATTI mid flight. If it does, I would check the radar system and fly so that the pointer(quad) back to the centre of the Radar (centre of radar is Home position/You). You would ignore the direction the Arrow is pointing as your compass would be skitzing out. I also assume that the GPS telemetry is red and it should still have counts. This means the Mavic/Quad knows where it is but cannot fly in the correct direction due to conflicting compass data.

I have never had my quad skitz to ATTI because i have done clean compass dances in open grassy fields. And i never do anymore compass dances unless i add components or travel afar. If you see a compass warning/magnetic interference, move the craft or hand launch.

Hello everyone. Im a very inexperienced pilot, but my first 15 or so flights went very well. I managed to fly it quite far away too and in all sorts of environments until one day I had a similar experience as those who crashed in atti mode.

The drone lost GPS, switched to ATTI mode and started moving on its own quite fast and crashed face-forward into a wall. I dont understand why they would have a mode where the drone just mindlessly moves on its own and does not respond at all. And of course they do not accept the warranty, they say the problem was my fault.
this is all they tell me:

"The GPS signal was weak after taking off ,the drone worked under Atti or OPTI mode; 2)T=285s,H=1.8m,D=N/A, the collision happened when the aircraft was drifting and landing. Before the collision,the drone was under Atti mode,which could not hover horizontally,and the user pulled down the throttle stick fully and pushed forward the pitch stick fully."

Now my question is if I pushed down the throttle stick why did the mavic not stop? Also, the drone was definately not landing when it crashed. It was not descending and it was flying very fast.

First of all, I flew it up and forward. Then I left it hover for a few seconds, to make the camera focus. The next thing is I look forward and see the mavic turning around and flying towards me at a high speed, then started drifting sideways but ended up hitting a window facing forward. In the mean time i did press down on the left stick (mode 2) but it would not respond.
Im guessing that something must have triggered the return to home, but since it was in Atti mode, it flew very unsteadily because of the wind. The drone was too close to me to have lost signal from the rc. I really have no idea how this happened.

What makes me even more confused is that when I downloaded the video file I saw that the recording had stopped on its own before it went crazy and started flying on its own. This way I dont have any proof to show the repair center either.
At the very least I would like to know how to prevent any such situations? Any advice for a frustrated newby pilot? XD
p.s. sorry for the long post!

Now my question is if I pushed down the throttle stick why did the mavic not stop? Also, the drone was definately not landing when it crashed. It was not descending and it was flying very fast.
Please start a new thread, explain your story, and post your TXT and DAT flight logs for review.

Stuff like this happens when you have compass interference. I was disappointed that the mavic didn't have a user switchable Atti mode because it really is required for flying safely indoors. Because of this I performed one of the hacks to change the sports mode switch to switch to Atti instead of sport.

The hack works in that it activates Atti mode, but usually attitude mode ignores all GPS/compass data. The mavic still seems to read compass data when in Atti mode, as it would still fly erratically and sometimes make uncontrolled movements that were difficult if not impossible to correct. I don't know if this is something to do with the atti hack being incomplete, or just the way the mavic works with it only having the two modes and being designed as a starter drone for flight outside.

From my experience, weird uncontrolled pulls in any direction that are difficult to correct are compass issues.

That's disappointing if ATTI mode is not decoupling flight controls from the compass. Back when I had a P1 the compass was not very reliable so dropping into ATTI mode was often the best way to prevent odd flying behaviors and fishbowling in P-mode. I'm sure they still want the compass active in the Mavic so that the radar and map view work but it should be easy enough for them to program it in a way that it doesn't affect flight controls.

I have my sport switch setup as ATTI mode as well and it acts as expected but I haven't flown with it in an area with magnetic interference or compass issues.

It was like a breath of fresh air to have ATTI mode again though. That's the one thing that upset me when I bought my Mavic and found it wasn't user selectable. I don't think alot of people understand how creative you can get on the camera with ATTI mode.

ATTI does not use compass. The drift issues usually happen during the time BEFORE the aircraft actually decides to switch to ATTI, which may take (too) long.

In case of the parameter change to have ATTI in place of sport this does not work correctly in later firmware versions, it initially switches to ATTI as requested but then falls back to GPS after some random amount of time. Could have been the issue if you noticed drift using that solution.

When flying indoors, remember to disable VPS since it will force the drone to hover at a certain height above the ground. Crashes into the ceiling fan are not good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803