DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is class d airspace?

Class D airspace is generally around small municipal airports. Usually it's 5 miles around the airport, and the proper procedure would be to call the air traffic control / airport tower to ask for permission to fly (this way they can notify any manned aircraft in the area to be aware)

Class D airspace is generally around small municipal airports. Usually it's 5 miles around the airport, and the proper procedure would be to call the air traffic control / airport tower to ask for permission to fly (this way they can notify any manned aircraft in the area to be aware)
Just to be technical, isn't the call just to notify as opposed to asking permission? IOW, if you follow FAA regs, they cannot tell you "No".

Just to be technical, isn't the call just to notify as opposed to asking permission? IOW, if you follow FAA regs, they cannot tell you "No".

I suppose that's true. That being said, if they have a valid reason why it might not be a good time (maybe it's particularly congested at the time), I'd still consider heeding their advice. If they were just being jerks and saying no without giving an explanation as to why, then I'd probably fly anyway (after making it very clear that I'd asked several times for a valid reason why flight should be avoided).

It's a tough call for me personally. I see so many people throwing caution to the wind and just filming where/when they want and getting some excellent shots, but I tend to err way too far to the side of caution, which has cost me some time/shots. I once sat around for almost an hour awaiting for some guy on a boat to leave because the lake i was at was extremely quiet and peaceful and relaxing, and he was just an old guy trying to do some fishing, and I would have felt guilty buzzing overhead with a quad.

The sad thing is, it only takes a few idiots to bring down an storm of restrictions and regulations for the rest of us responsible hobbyists.

Reactions: Dr Dave
I suppose that's true. That being said, if they have a valid reason why it might not be a good time (maybe it's particularly congested at the time), I'd still consider heeding their advice. If they were just being jerks and saying no without giving an explanation as to why, then I'd probably fly anyway (after making it very clear that I'd asked several times for a valid reason why flight should be avoided).

It's a tough call for me personally. I see so many people throwing caution to the wind and just filming where/when they want and getting some excellent shots, but I tend to err way too far to the side of caution, which has cost me some time/shots. I once sat around for almost an hour awaiting for some guy on a boat to leave because the lake i was at was extremely quiet and peaceful and relaxing, and he was just an old guy trying to do some fishing, and I would have felt guilty buzzing overhead with a quad.

The sad thing is, it only takes a few idiots to bring down an storm of restrictions and regulations for the rest of us responsible hobbyists.
Why did you not just ask his permission if he minded you flying and filming around him? I have done the same in the past, and on the whole people are happy for you to do so. I always like to check and people generally appreciate being asked. I've never had anyone come outright and say they did mind

Why did you not just ask his permission if he minded you flying and filming around him? I have done the same in the past, and on the whole people are happy for you to do so. I always like to check and people generally appreciate being asked. I've never had anyone come outright and say they did mind

In that particular situation, it was literally so peaceful there that speaking almost seemed like disturbing the peace haha. I ended up just sitting and enjoying the nature till he left. Normally I do ask, or people show up after I've started flying. In fact, I love when families are out, cause the kids get all excited about it and it gives a chance for the parents to learn that it's not a scary or invasive creeper tool, but just a fun hobby. Typically if something is going to prevent me from flying, it's related to weather or population density (or obviously no fly zones)

The closest I ever got to someone "nay-saying" my flight was this lady at a park who was trying to guilt trip me for "scaring bids" (I wasn't flying near any animals or trees, I was flying very low or high over a creek.)

Reactions: Bunny Too

Agreed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser