DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is Proper compass calibration. And technique for making a new home point.

superdave5050

Reactions
Here's the deal, I pick the bird up and slowly make a horizontal 360 but screen keeps telling me to make a 360 like I never made the first one. Do I make another horizontal 360 ?
Then it seems to do the same thing with the vertical 360, nose pointing down. I Think Dji's 4 app now looks like nose pointing horizontally and making a 360. Tried both ways.
Litchi app "tells" me to have nose pointing down. After a while screen goes back to flight screen and controller says ready to go. Today it said ready to go but still had home as the place 2 miles away. Across the hwy and over the top of a bunch of car dealerships to an open field I flew at for one battery earlier.
I Used Litchi app for the first 3 battery's today then tried DJI 4 at the last place. And also it wouldn't update to a new home point between place A and B either about 2 miles away. Tried closing litchi app and switched to dji4 app and did recalibration. I did get the green to go but it still showed home as the place 2 miles away. I almost lost it couple days earlier when I got lazy and pushed return to home button it went to a house driveway in a neighborhood up from my house. I was flying from the big open school track track area. Luck had it I recognized the driveway and zipped back up and flew towards my area and landed by sight. It was getting dark and app did say insufficient light or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I pick the bird up and slowly make a horizontal 360 but screen keeps telling me to make a 360 like I never made the first one. Do I make another horizontal 360 ?
I usually have to rotate a little bit past a 360 degree turn before the screen prompts me to turn the Mavic and rotate again with the nose facing down (the more common method) or to the side (either is okay).

As for marking the home point, that occurs when the motors are started. You do not need to calibrate the compass before each flight in order to mark the home point.

Reactions: Mr Spock
I usually have to rotate a little bit past a 360 degree turn before the screen prompts me to turn the Mavic and rotate again with the nose facing down (the more common method) or to the side (either is okay).

As for marking the home point, that occurs when the motors are started. You do not need to calibrate the compass before each flight in order to mark the home point.
Msinger is it better to rotate around the MP center axis or is it ok just to rotate around one's self by holding the MP out (the dance) ?
Also I just noticed that the app is asking now for the MP to be calibrated at the 2nd stage on it's side rather than nose down, do you know why is that ? Which way is best?
Last one... does it mater if you rotate clockwise or counterclockwise ?

Msinger is it better to rotate around the MP center axis or is it ok just to rotate around one's self by holding the MP out (the dance) ?
Also I just noticed that the app is asking now for the MP to be calibrated at the 2nd stage on it's side rather than nose down, do you know why is that ? Which way is best?
Last one... does it mater if you rotate clockwise or counterclockwise ?

I personally try to keep the aircraft "centered" and walk "around" it while doing compass calibration... not sure if that is good. bad or otherwise, but I've done it that way since the pre Phantom 1's and the DJI Naza 1 controllers... never had a compass issue...

Reactions: Mr Spock
is it better to rotate around the MP center axis or is it ok just to rotate around one's self by holding the MP out (the dance) ?
Either way is okay. I hold my Mavic still and walk around it. I find it easier than standing in place and spinning the Mavic in my hands. And, it eliminates the possibility of dropping it while changing my hands during the process.

the app is asking now for the MP to be calibrated at the 2nd stage on it's side rather than nose down, do you know why is that ? Which way is best?
DJI GO shows the second stage with the nose facing to the side. The Mavic manual shows the nose facing down. Either way is okay.

does it mater if you rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?
No.

Reactions: RobP62 and Mr Spock

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo