DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Is The Actual Mavic Range?

pgitug

Reactions
I have an entry level phantom 3 Standard. I am looking at getting the Mavic but I really would like to know what range you can fly without getting "Weak or Lost" Signal.

Scenario #1: Range when flying a 90 feet over dense neighborhood housing?

Scenario #2: Range when following a mountain stream through the woods?

I have seen the videos of flying at 300' out across a lake or the desert, but I don't find that very interesting. Video recording at a lower height is what I am aiming for.
Your input on actual flight distances under these situations is greatly appreciated. I don't want to upgrade to a Mavic if the advantages do not warrant the cost.
Thank you for your help.
D Bell

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The frequencies involved demand line of sight. Foliage, house framing, cars attenuate the signal. So it depends on your flight plan and home location. If you are in sight of the drone, many hundreds of feet is no problem.

As a P3S owner I know what you are talking about. The P3S uses a standard wifi control but the Mavic uses Occusync! It will give you more range than you will ever need.
That being said if you want portability, the Mavic is king but if you are okay with the P3S size, you may want to look at a P4 with it's better camera capabilities.

Reactions: jointeffort
I have an entry level phantom 3 Standard. I am looking at getting the Mavic but I really would like to know what range you can fly without getting "Weak or Lost" Signal.

I have seen the videos of flying at 300' out across a lake or the desert, but I don't find that very interesting. Video recording at a lower height is what I am aiming for.
Your input on actual flight distances under these situations is greatly appreciated. I don't want to upgrade to a Mavic if the advantages do not warrant the cost.
Thank you for your help.
D Bell

Personally, I have been very impressed - in fact, increasingly so - with the range and signal strength of my Mavic and controller

I often fly in a field my family owns that is a mile long and almost as wide, surrounded by trees to the North and West, and flanked by a river to the South and a coastal community to the East. I have NO trouble flying the Mavic the entire length of the field while maintaining excellent visual and control signal connections. I also sometimes fly above the community, which is half a mile away from my home point, flying at a height ranging from less than 50' to as much as 125' to avoid the trees located there and get the shots I want, plus I can fly over the wooded areas maybe 25-35' above the trees for more than half a mile very easy, or even swing over the river a half-mile away without any signal loss.

If range is a concern, then the Mavic, I believe, is an answer.

Reactions: jointeffort
Personally, I have been very impressed - in fact, increasingly so - with the range and signal strength of my Mavic and controller

I often fly in a field my family owns that is a mile long and almost as wide, surrounded by trees to the North and West, and flanked by a river to the South and a coastal community to the East. I have NO trouble flying the Mavic the entire length of the field while maintaining excellent visual and control signal connections. I also sometimes fly above the community, which is half a mile away from my home point, flying at a height ranging from less than 50' to as much as 125' to avoid the trees located there and get the shots I want, plus I can fly over the wooded areas maybe 25-35' above the trees for more than half a mile very easy, or even swing over the river a half-mile away without any signal loss.

If range is a concern, then the Mavic, I believe, is an answer.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds promising. Thank you.

As a P3S owner I know what you are talking about. The P3S uses a standard wifi control but the Mavic uses Occusync! It will give you more range than you will ever need.
That being said if you want portability, the Mavic is king but if you are okay with the P3S size, you may want to look at a P4 with it's better camera capabilities.

Sounds like the Mavic maybe my next purchase

Reactions: Romans228

Thank you for your help.
D Bell

The flight modes alone make the upgrade worthwhile. Tripod mode is amazing for the low level stuff. Go through a woodland with minimal clearance. You still feel in total control. I had a P3 standard and have no regrets over the upgrade. Go for it

Reactions: CC Rider and magsta
The flight modes alone make the upgrade worthwhile. Tripod mode is amazing for the low level stuff. Go through a woodland with minimal clearance. You still feel in total control. I had a P3 standard and have no regrets over the upgrade. Go for it

Cleansweep makes some very excellent points for getting a Mavic. The flight modes themselves ARE worth the cost of this drone. They are incredible, accurate, simple to use, and add tremendous possibilities to every video drone pilot's arsenal.

Just to update my Mavic range experience:

I recently used my Mavic to fly over and behind a vast, tree-covered coastal area owned by the State which contains an ancient burial ground of my Tribe's (I'm a Nanticoke Indian) that we have been denied access to and has been left shrouded in secrecy. I had absolutely no way of getting back there to see it, as the roadway and grounds have been allowed to overgrow to such a degree as to impede access to the burial site or even see it from the roadway. I couldn't get there to see it and record it...but my Mavic could.

The ancient, sacred burial site was nearly a mile away from my takeoff point, totally obscured by trees. But with my Mavic I was able to fly over and throughout the entire archaeological site, receiving flawless video feeds and perfect RC control the entire time. I had to depend upon my camera feed alone once my Mav was really back there and behind the treeline, but again I had NO problems doing so. The place was totally empty; I could have landed my Mavic right there if I wanted to and takeoff again, no problems. Signal strength was great.

The bottom-line results: an impressive display of the Mavic's capabilities and the ability for me to gain access and record video firsthand of the burial site in its present shabby, unacceptable, disrespectful state, video which I posted for my fellow Tribe members to see and has now fueled a Tribal fire to right this wrong.

In my opinion, the Mavic is simply the best, in every regard. I now rarely go anywhere without taking it and a few batteries with me, as one never knows when it may come in handy to have or what you may want to capture at a moment's notice. The Mavic's unique portability and setup makes it very easy to take it along with you and have it up in the sky doing its job in a matter of a few minutes. I keep my takeoff mat with me, too, in the trunk of my vehicle, as I am concerned about how close the gimbal/camera assemblies are to the ground and was not fully satisfied with the third-party Mavic landing gear lift kit I purchased and therefore don't use it. (I thought the lift kit actually made the Mavic less stable during landing.)

Go Mavic and you can't go wrong. I don't usually cheer so much about a product, but the Mavic has been one of the best investments I have made in years. It constantly impresses me every time I take it up.

Reactions: Merlin23
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82