DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the best Flight battery depletion setting ?

B'hamster

Reactions
I noticed you can choose how many days it takes your intelligent flight batteries to deplete I think it is between 5 and 10 days. Does it make any difference where you sets this? And why does it matter?

It's best to store batteries at the storage level when you're not using them. The auto discharge feature makes that an automatic process for you. It can take up to an additional 2-3 days to auto discharge the batteries down to the storage level, so keep that in mind when you're choosing your desired setting.

Which setting is best? There really is no best setting. 2 days is probably just fine for most people -- unless you need to keep your batteries fully charged longer than that for some reason. In most cases, the auto discharge process will never need to kick in if you only charge your batteries up until the 3rd battery light starts blinking after flying.

It's best to store batteries at the storage level when you're not using them. The auto discharge feature makes that an automatic process for you. It can take up to an additional 2-3 days to auto discharge the batteries down to the storage level, so keep that in mind when you're choosing your desired setting.

Which setting is best? There really is no best setting. 2 days is probably just fine for most people -- unless you need to keep your batteries fully charged longer than that for some reason. In most cases, the auto discharge process will never need to kick in if you only charge your batteries up until the 3rd battery light starts blinking after flying.
OK, But what is the best or a reasonable setting? 5 days, 7 days, 10 Days???

It really depends on how long you need to keep your batteries fully charged.

OK, But what is the best or a reasonable setting? 5 days, 7 days, 10 Days???
I am new to this stuff, and this gadget has more moving parts than most. I have a Grand Banks Trawler that might be easier for a newbie to figure out, and it has dozens of systems. If I only fly once every 10 days do I want it set for 10 days, and if I plan on flying as often as weather permit
( retired so it could be daily ) would I set it at the fewest days till discharge? I know about LiPo's and their querky characteristics, I have never had any that gave you the option of a discharge rate.

How much time usually passes between the time you charge your batteries and you head out to fly?

Reactions: jdcntulsa
Read my post about discharge. Mine seem to start from hour one and I have it set to 5 days

Read my post about discharge. Mine seem to start from hour one and I have it set to 5 days
OK, Does the battery life suffer if you have it set for a 5 day discharge and you don't fly for two weeks? or does it just mean you will have to take the extra time to charge the flight batteries to a full charge. At $90 a battery I am just trying to get the most life possible. As I said I am a boat owner, so I am already bleeding cash from one hobby....

What is the charging TIME?? flight Bats? Controller?
ALSO is DC charging time faster?[thought some posted increased amps on DC]

There are wiser ones around than me to answer this, but

- Your batteries wear out when you keep them fully charged for longer periods of time. How long / How fully charged? How long is a piece of string.

- When you press the battery ON button once to see the charge, you delay the auto discharge cycle a day.

- It takes quite a while for a battery discharge down to the storage value, and it can get warm while it does so. A "bad" battery can distort (bulge) during this phase, which means it's stuffed and needs replacing. Best not to have the battery inside your bird when this happens - at least it was a problem with the Phantom's - they probably come out easier with the Mavic.

So it depends on your flying habits. I go away a lot for a week at a time, and I'm home for several days in a row. So I set them to discharge after 2 days and when I'm home I keep the batteries where I can see them. I charge them up before I go flying and if I think I might fly them again,. re-charge once they've cooled off. After that, each day I press the test once so if I want to fly that afternoon or the next day they'll be full. Two days after I go away they start to discharge down to a better storage level.

At least, that's my thinking.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

- Your batteries wear out when you keep them fully charged for longer periods of time. How long / How fully charged? How long is a piece of string.

- When you press the battery ON button once to see the charge, you delay the auto discharge cycle a day.

- It takes quite a while for a battery discharge down to the storage value, and it can get warm while it does so. A "bad" battery can distort (bulge) during this phase, which means it's stuffed and needs replacing. Best not to have the battery inside your bird when this happens - at least it was a problem with the Phantom's - they probably come out easier with the Mavic.

So it depends on your flying habits. I go away a lot for a week at a time, and I'm home for several days in a row. So I set them to discharge after 2 days and when I'm home I keep the batteries where I can see them. I charge them up before I go flying and if I think I might fly them again,. re-charge once they've cooled off. After that, each day I press the test once so if I want to fly that afternoon or the next day they'll be full. Two days after I go away they start to discharge down to a better storage level.

Ken

Boy I didn't think it was that crazy of a question. Nobody has ever really answered my question. If I want to give my Intelligent Flight Batteries the longest life span what would be a good discharge schedule ? Again I don't care how long it might take to charge the batteries before I fly. I deal with lawyers from time to time( unfortunately), it's kind of how they would have answered... "if it does not fit you must aquitt". Kind of sorry I asked....

I really can't answer that without knowing your aircraft usage pattern - and wouldn't want to sound definitive even if I did. Set the discharge days / use / re-charge your batteries in such a way as to minimise long periods of time spent at full charge without being used.

I have seen the discharge setting in the menu, but that's only when it is connected to the drone. Do you set it in the drone and can the battery than manage to that when it is out of the drone?
Asking because I was not sure if the battery circuitry does the discharge or the Mavic circuitry does.

Thanks!

Ken

Ken,
Do you know how the depletion rate is set when the batteries are new, the factory setting?

I am new to this stuff, and this gadget has more moving parts than most. I have a Grand Banks Trawler that might be easier for a newbie to figure out, and it has dozens of systems. If I only fly once every 10 days do I want it set for 10 days, and if I plan on flying as often as weather permit
( retired so it could be daily ) would I set it at the fewest days till discharge? I know about LiPo's and their querky characteristics, I have never had any that gave you the option of a discharge rate.
I have always set mine for the max of 10 days as I fly on the spur of the moment, and don't want to wait 3 hours for the batteries to come up to a full cgarge, never had a battery issue in almost 4 years, but this a personal preference thing. As for your other hobby, a Grand Banks?, AWESOME, is it a 42'? I had a Kady Krogen 42 for 10 years, for a live aboard a Trawler is the best.

I have always set mine for the max of 10 days as I fly on the spur of the moment, and don't want to wait 3 hours for the batteries to come up to a full cgarge, never had a battery issue in almost 4 years, but this a personal preference thing. As for your other hobby, a Grand Banks?, AWESOME, is it a 42'? I had a Kady Krogen 42 for 10 years, for a live aboard a Trawler is the best.
My GB is the 32, a perfect size for exploring the San Juan and Gulf Islands where we live. I have alway thought the Kadey Krogen 42 is a wonderful design. Lots of room, economical to run and the design proportions are perfect. Living in the PNW the covered side decks and cockpit make it weather friendly. I actually looked at one, a 1983 with bow thruster, unique forward cabin with walk around double berth. The only catch was 10,000 hours on the Ford Lehman. I know a couple who live on one and they love it.

My GB is the 32, a perfect size for exploring the San Juan and Gulf Islands where we live. I have alway thought the Kadey Krogen 42 is a wonderful design. Lots of room, economical to run and the design proportions are perfect. Living in the PNW the covered side decks and cockpit make it weather friendly. I actually looked at one, a 1983 with bow thruster, unique forward cabin with walk around double berth. The only catch was 10,000 hours on the Ford Lehman. I know a couple who live on one and they love it.
The Ford Lehman is an easy rebuild, a very reliable power plant, and the bow thruster is a must on the 42 for tight spots. Held 800 gla of #2 with a 6,000 NM range. Had to sell her as my wife now need to be close to a doctor. I envy you, the San Juan's are a wonderful cruising area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone