DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What kind of reaction do u get when u fly?

frankiez

Reactions
Hey guys and gals, just wondering what kind of reaction you get whenever you fly in a public place? Down here in the Sarasota, Florida area, I get the kinda "hmmm, cool drone!" response and then people just kind of go about their business as if its commonplace. I rarely see any drones flying.

About 6 months ago, there was one in my neighborhood but it was only flying for a few minutes and maybe 100' up. After that day, I have never seen it again.

I haven't really flown it in any somewhat busy areas yet. I was flying at a state park (before a member here pointed out a statute stating i wasnt supposed to fly there) and there were maybe 20 people near me. The only response was from a little girl letting her dad know i was flying a drone. Everyone else just ignored me.

I much prefer that, as opposed to people crowding around me and trying to look over my shoulder to see my display.

Just curious as to what your experiences are.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

So far I've only had one encounter (haven't flown in busy areas yet). This was a mid-aged woman with her kids, just stopping by saying "We were standing over there wandering what you were doing, and than we saw you landing your drone. Really cool!" We then had a little conversation about the river I was filming, and they kept on walking. So, I've only gotten good vibes so far :)

Reactions: frankiez
To be honest I avoided seeing people when I started flying. Still I don't like seeing a lot of people because I don't want the attention. The biggest comment I get is, " oh are you taking pictures, or wow you can really keep it in one place huh" Of course they don't know its really all the drone and little me keeping it hovering there. All in all I haven't received any negative comments yet. One guy did go out of his way to ask me if I would be willing to fly over his house a few blocks away and look at his chimney he just had repaired!

In 3 years of flying only had one negative encounter with a sourpuss of an old lady which thought it was 'just wrong' for me to be flying 'that contraption' Mostly I get the 'How Cool' thing and 'How much', or no reaction at all.

Reactions: maikm and frankiez
Likewise. Reaction seems quite positive on the neighbors' part. One guy even asked if I could do him a favor and check his gutters. His 4 year old son decided he wants one after seeing it, which is adorable.

just wondering what kind of reaction you get whenever you fly

sent from my Galaxy Note4
It's a warm and fuzzy feeling and I love it ;)
I'm lucky enough to be in the country and really never have anyone around but when I have flown in spots where there were folks
they all were fascinated by it .
There are not that many here that have them so we don't have the issues like larger places . :)
Yet :eek:

I fly in an area where there is seldom anyone around, but I occasionally see someone walking their dog. On one occasion, a guy and his dog approached and asked if they could watch. I said yes, and after landing, answered a few questions.

The second time it was a husband and wife who were really excited about seeing it fly, and asked tons of questions. She wanted to get a drone for him and was really asking good questions. I spent 15 minutes with them after landing showing some of the details.

All other responses have been positive if a response was made at all.

Sometimes it's good for me when no one is around during flying attempt. Kind of feel annoying (just sometimes) when people stop by and ask you many question. it depend on the crowd or the place

When I flew my p3p people almost always asked if it's hard to fly and how much it was. One kid wanted to race it on his bicycle. I flew real slow and gave him a thrill.

I like to be an ambasador as much as possible, but looky-loos who think it's cool come and pester me with questions when I'm flying annoy the fudge-sticks out of me. P2/3 were not that easy to fly. Coming from fixwing prop people are always curious of people doing things they don't know how to do.

Not much reaction, the farmers field i use he gets it all. her has had people phone him up saying that it shouldn't be allowed on the fields, his reaction is usually bugger off its my fields, with a good old few extra somerset expletives thrown in.
My mate gets a better reaction when he is flying his hell upside down.

Me and my son set off to the local hills early one day for a fly around and saw an old lady walking her dog se was very interested and wanted a go, i had to put her off, she thought it was nice to see the area used for something different rather than just horses and dogs. At her age she wisely said we all need to learn to get along together no matter our hobbies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike