DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What settings to use in wooded area

Gerry65

Reactions
Hello folks. I live at the beach (poor me, I know) but am in Illinois now around a forested area and wanted to try tracking some friends as they mountain bike on a circuit (not necessarily a trail but trees along their side). Will try spotlighting but would also like to try profile and tracking. I will experiment some beforehand by walking the circuit myself and was wondering about the settings i should use during my walk through. From what I've read here it seems like:
1. OA off because it wouldn't go anywhere with trees all around it. Right?
2. RTH set to hover.
3. Have tripod mode enabled.

Actually, as I think about this, maybe it's a stupid idea to try to track mtn bikers in a wooded area unless they're in an open field. Having trees on either side is just asking for trouble I guess. Maybe just use spotlight and/or set up wayward points.

What do folks think and are the settings appropriate? Thanks for any suggestions and feedback.

Trees and drones don't mix well. In my experience OA will not be set off by bare branches (without leaves) at all...

I believe that if one side of the trail is clear,....then you could keep the drone on that side for Active Track. (The flight mode you draw a box over and then set the position of the Mavic. (Circle around or angle to maintain))
If I was going to use RTH,....I would certainly make sure home was in a clearing,.....and of course my RTH height would far exceed the tallest tree in the forest.
If trees are on both sides,.......I would plus 1 to previous post and find something/somewhere else to record.

Hello folks. I live at the beach (poor me, I know) but am in Illinois now around a forested area and wanted to try tracking some friends as they mountain bike on a circuit (not necessarily a trail but trees along their side). Will try spotlighting but would also like to try profile and tracking. I will experiment some beforehand by walking the circuit myself and was wondering about the settings i should use during my walk through. From what I've read here it seems like:
1. OA off because it wouldn't go anywhere with trees all around it. Right?
2. RTH set to hover.
3. Have tripod mode enabled.

Actually, as I think about this, maybe it's a stupid idea to try to track mtn bikers in a wooded area unless they're in an open field. Having trees on either side is just asking for trouble I guess. Maybe just use spotlight and/or set up wayward points.

What do folks think and are the settings appropriate? Thanks for any suggestions and feedback.
This sounds right. The setting you list are good for manually flying. If you were going to use Active Track, Profile mode will keep the Mavic position constant relative to the subject. If it's a curvy trail, this could be bad. Trace mode would not be a good choice. Spotlight would be good if you intended to fly the Mav manually allowing the tracking system to keep the camera locked onto your subject. Sounds fun!

Alright. I certainly am going to 'walk through' the circuits beforehand but I clearly don't have a handle on the Active Track modes, so I'm asking for trouble. Have only tracked once so far by 'boxing' a windsurfer friend on the water but couldn't seem to keep up with him even though he was traveling10 mph or so. I didn't even know how to set it up so that I was close to him. Practice, practice, and more practice. Always learn something new here. Thanks folks. And it does sound fun, doesn't it, Strafe1... and nerve wracking at the same time!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada