DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What viewing device will you be using?

I have been flying my Mavic for the last 4 weeks using my iPhone 6S+. As was stated, once you disable the auto brightness and set it a max, it works very well. Ken Booth has designed a holder for tablets that uses the existing DJI RC mount. There are others that have designed them. I am very attached to my iPad mini 4 and using the existing mount allows the use of the DJI hood.
Is this what you are speaking of . I like this one the best from the others I have seen .

Is this what you are speaking of . I like this one the best from the others I have seen .

Yes, that is Ken's that he designed. I've also see one that integrates another clamp besides the DJI one from the Inspire and Phantom 3 and 4 but we've been pleased with that clamp so have no problem with using that with this Mavic adapter as well.

There will be many in the future. Be aware that many of these have been designed without even holding a Mavic RC. I am not endorsing one design over the other. I will say that the idea to use the RC clamp from the P3/P4/Inspire was mine. Pats self on back. But Ken did a great job. Others will have their own take on how it should be designed.

Reactions: Advexure
There will be many in the future. Be aware that many of these have been designed without even holding a Mavic RC. I am not endorsing one design over the other. I will say that the idea to use the RC clamp from the P3/P4/Inspire was mine. Pats self on back. But Ken did a great job. Others will have their own take on how it should be designed.

Yes, very true and as always, thanks for all the work that you and Ken do.

I went on Craigslist and bought a Blacklist Iphone 6-Plus for $100 works 100% just cannot activated for calls, however is 100% functionable besides that. I will use that for both the Mav and the new Osmo+ i just received. This was a cheap solution for a dedicated screen

Similar to a previous poster, for many moons I used either a Shield or the household IPad Air 2. But latterly, I started defaulting to my trusty standard iPhone 6s - I was super surprised by how good it was despite the smaller screen. So, in summary, I've sold the Shield and will use my tiny 6s, as I've found it to be fine for viewing.

The problem with this design is the glare will be out of control with a horizontal screen. With the way your hands have to be under the screen it looks like it would be very uncomfortable (or impossible) to tilt the controller 45-90 degrees. The only reasonable solution if one i possible is to have the screen in front of the controller. Which is feasable for example the P$ controller has that metal "U" bar on the front that you can buy a after market ipad holder to, which is very clean and simple, so what would be needed is a tray that had that bar that you could snap the mavic controller into. Unfortunately this would require costom molds and fabrication and significant upfront cost,

Just need to find a way to attached this:

iPad Mini 7.9" Tablet Holder Mount for DJI Phantom 2/3 Inspire 1 FPV Quadcopter

Here is a way to use the above tablet holder

A closer look you could still fabricate the block that fits into the phone holder that would have the U-shape bar that extended underneath the controller to the front, Now the extended weight might be a issue so you would need something that would clip over the front edge of the controller to support the bar/tablet and distribute the weight. this is a very doable solution to get the screen out front. and provide the similar screen experience of the phantoms. For support you could also epoxy some kind of support that could attached to at the front underside of the controller (something that the bar could clip in and out of.

Personally I would not even consider a bottom screen holder

Last edited:
It actually is not uncomfortable. One user found a hood for the iPhone that appears will work for the Mavic RC. We have one on order and will let people know. Once you turn the iPhone's brightness up, it works pretty well. But I agree there will be times that I want my iPad and hood.

I like the one in the video and always in the shade and never had any use for a hood .
We will see all types of stuff being made up once these have gotten in their hands .
And it does look comfortable from just watching that .

Sure it is comfortable when the screen is flat and horizontal, tilting the screen would be very hard since your wrist are in a limited space below the tablet. in daylight I like my screen at 60-90 degrees, with the option to tilt over 90 degrees so I can manage glare. Rear screen solutions so far do not allow for that as far as I can see. unfortunately very few have the luxury of shade when flying.

It is also nice to have your screen and drone in the same view with the horizontal tablet screen you have to be looking down all the time, granted the phone mount has a similar issue however with the phone you have more mobility to tilt your wrist/controller and arm to create angles.

Ed - are there any video's of or pics of the top mount that you can share or point to I would live to see there ideas.

The lower tablet mount is very comfortable actually. I didn't think I would like it as well but really do like it..

You just use a hoodivision shade, ones I have been using on the inspire for 2 years now.

I did make this one as well. This gives you more options on angle .

Links to both design are in the description of each video.

Why would it interfere with the signal when the Phantoms have been like that since inception, where the antennas are right behind the screen/device.

How would the balance be thrown off if the screen mount had back and front support across the depth of the controller. it is not like a Ipad mini is that heavy anyway?

Why would it interfere with the signal when the Phantoms have been like that since inception, where the antennas are right behind the screen/device. How would you know that?

How would the balance be thrown off if the screen mount had back and front support. it is not like a Ipad mini is that heavy?

This doesn't have the room like the p4 device, antennas are much smaller as well. This is also not the same technology as the p4

What you want to do doesn't even sound possible! If you place a bar going across it will cover up the rc screen like my above design or block the antenna.

The upper mount design is about as far forward that I would go!

But once you get yours go ahead a try it.. I don't know why you keep pushing this idea anyways! Design it and prove us all wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy