DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's a good still camera for under $500 inc lens?

Former Member

Reactions
While my passion is flying and aerial photography, my wife is into still photography and shes pretty good at it. She has been using her Galaxy S6, and its amazing what she can do with it. I would like to get her a nice, lower end camera to take stills with, but Im not sure where to start. In the old days the Cannon AE-1 was the standard, but Ive lost touch with the newer technology.

I guess buying a still camera is like buying a drone, you need to know what your mission is before you start looking. So Im going to say that most of her best work is done up close of flowers, then some skyscapes, and thats about it. Should we look for a camera with changeable lenses so she can go from wide angle to macro?

Can anyone recommend a website similar to MP for ground based photographers and beginners to chat?

Thanks!

Not looked at prices for a while, so it may be slightly more than you want to spend, but having had a lot of different digital stills cameras including high end pro SLRs, mirrorless interchangeable lens systems etc. I'd absolutely recommend a used Fuji X100T to anyone who doesn't have specific requirements and just wants something good for all round use. This thing is beyond amazing.

Most importantly, it's well built, ergonomic and gets out of the way so that instead of spending time playing with a tool you spend time composing and making pictures. It's built how things used to be, and is a definite case of "less is more" - they probably won't be making cameras like this in 10 years the way mobile phones continue to improve, so get one while you still can...

If you have a bit more money, the newer X100F has more pixels, but you probably don't need or want them anyway.

Reactions: Former Member
While my passion is flying and aerial photography, my wife is into still photography and shes pretty good at it. She has been using her Galaxy S6, and its amazing what she can do with it. I would like to get her a nice, lower end camera to take stills with, but Im not sure where to start. In the old days the Cannon AE-1 was the standard, but Ive lost touch with the newer technology.

I guess buying a still camera is like buying a drone, you need to know what your mission is before you start looking. So Im going to say that most of her best work is done up close of flowers, then some skyscapes, and thats about it. Should we look for a camera with changeable lenses so she can go from wide angle to macro?

Can anyone recommend a website similar to MP for ground based photographers and beginners to chat?

Thanks!
I might be able to help. I have a Canon T1i and a bunch of lenses that I would be willing to sell. $500 for the camera, 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses plus a lot of extra batteries, chargers, camera bag, remote shutter cable and more. I also have a Sigma 10-20mm (AWESOME lens) and a Sigma 50mm Macro, $300 each

I bought my gf a Sony RX100 for xmas that she loves. Its a high-end point and shoot that will do just about anything a dslr will do. A lot of the modern dslrs have Sony sensors in them these days. I have a 7 mega pixel point and shoot I still use along with my 36mp Nikon dslr.

The other mirrorless cameras maybe an option if you think she really might get into photography as there are some lens changing options.

The problem with photography forums much like gun forums is that once someone becomes invested in one brand/system everything else is junk...

I'm not loyal to a certain brand although I do love me some sony sensors.

I use to shoot with a canon DSLR and had a couple nice lenses and even invested in some L glass. It was a great setup but eventually found it to be cumbersome to take everywhere I want.

That’s when digital mirrorless cams started to make an introduction and I was sold. My style of shooting is slow and deliberate. I don’t shoot much action except for when the kids are running around. The portability of mirrorless systems are another advantage to me. I carry my micro 4/3 sensored Olympus O-MD E-M5 in my daily bag and bring out my full frame Sony A7 when I have more of a purpose.

Anyway, a lot of mirrorless systems can be had for under $500 with a kit lens. There’s no wrong answer when buying into these systems. Micro 4/3 systems by Olympus and Panasonic are more portable since they don’t require big lenses. APS-C systems from Fuji, Sony and Canon are a great middle ground and they have a more flexible depth of field capacity.

And since it sounds like your wife’s style is mainly still life, mirrorless may be for her.

Thanks for all the replies and help! I ended up buying her a Canon T6i with 18-55mm and 18-135mm lenses. I got it mint condition for $450 from a local who threw in a few extras. The only problem is that neither of the lenses is suited for what she wants to do which is close-up flower shots less than 12-18" away. I was thinking of selling the 18-135 and buying her something more suited for her, and I visited a couple of he photo websites but didnt know where to start. Some of the prices were around $500-$1000 so I want to be careful before I got one for her.

Thanks for all the replies and help! I ended up buying her a Canon T6i with 18-55mm and 18-135mm lenses. I got it mint condition for $450 from a local who threw in a few extras. The only problem is that neither of the lenses is suited for what she wants to do which is close-up flower shots less than 12-18" away. I was thinking of selling the 18-135 and buying her something more suited for her, and I visited a couple of he photo websites but didnt know where to start. Some of the prices were around $500-$1000 so I want to be careful before I got one for her.
Hey Thunder, I am also into macro (close up) photography. I highly recommend the raynox add on lenses (diopters).

Normally, any type of add on lens (eg. Wide or Tele converters) is a bad idea and degrades image quality, but the raynox lenses are excellent.

The DCR-150 along with the 18-135 you have will produce excellent results. Don't be tempted to get the DCR-250, as you push up the magnification the depth of field and working distance get VERY unforgiving - if she wants to take insect photos later, or single blades of grass, that's something to move onto after getting comfortable with the 150.

BTW extension tubes as others mentioned are fine too. I like the Raynoxes though as one advantage is you can just clip them on and off to change quickly between macro and normal photos, whereas with tubes it takes a minute to take the lens off and remount it without the tubes.

The other thing you're likely to run into with macro is that because of the very small d.o.f at higher magnifications, you need to stop down a lot like f/16 or smaller then you need a lot of light, plus even if there's decent daylight the small working distance means the lens itself often casts a shadow on the subject - the neweer 48 led ring light on Amazon or eBay is really good - it's no replacement for a proper macro ring flash in the long run, but it does a very decent job at a minimal price compared to the significant investment of a nice ringflash, so it's cheap enough to give it a try initially without spending a ton.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7