DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats the best iPad mini to use on the mavic

four, hands down. I would splurge for the WiFi cellular version, if you can afford it. You can always use your phone as a hotspot, but that's kind of a pain. Plus, I don't think you can update your home position unless it IS the WIFI - Cell version since the WiFi only doesn't have GPS.

Reactions: MavicMo
I have done some research and ended up buying second hand ipad mini 4 64GB +4G. It fits the rc but it feels quite scary to squeeze it in for the first time. I think it is because it is slightly longer than mini123. I also used iphone 6 and xiaomi mi5. The best so far performs mi5 because its the brightest. From what I read in the internet ipad mini 4 should have the screen as good and bright as ipad air 2 and maybe ipad pro 12" (if I remember correctly). But from my initial field testing I can tell it does not perform so well in sunlight, I would place it just behind my iphone 6. I need to invest in the sun hood and then test it again.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

+1 on the Ipad Mini 4 with cellular...

I had been using my Ipad Air up until recently The Ipad Air is the "functional" equivalent of the Ipad Mini 2. While it worked, I would get some odd behavior on it frequently; from occasional lag to the screen display going half green for a short period. This was occurring even with the "suggested" settings like Airplane mode, etc.. The 4 works great. I had one instant of a momentary freeze but other than that no issues with green screen or lag..

I have done some research and ended up buying second hand ipad mini 4 64GB +4G. It fits the rc but it feels quite scary to squeeze it in for the first time. I think it is because it is slightly longer than mini123. I also used iphone 6 and xiaomi mi5. The best so far performs mi5 because its the brightest. From what I read in the internet ipad mini 4 should have the screen as good and bright as ipad air 2 and maybe ipad pro 12" (if I remember correctly). But from my initial field testing I can tell it does not perform so well in sunlight, I would place it just behind my iphone 6. I need to invest in the sun hood and then test it again.

Thanks for the info

four, hands down. I would splurge for the WiFi cellular version, if you can afford it. You can always use your phone as a hotspot, but that's kind of a pain. Plus, I don't think you can update your home position unless it IS the WIFI - Cell version since the WiFi only doesn't have GPS.
thanks for the info

Reactions: LakeTravis
how gigs do i need ? 16 etc 32??

If you're not going to cache a copy of the video on the iPad Mini, 16GB would be plenty if you're only going to use it to fly.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Rnl
Are there benefits to iPad or should I look at something else ?

There is actually less benefits to use an ipad I think. probley the only benefit would be if you own an iPhone and use the apple store. If you pay for an APP on your iphone it will generally also allow your ipad to enjoy the same app for free since its on your/same account. Andriod would also the be same if you have the phone and the tablet on your same google account. Most people would buy a tablet that matches the OS of their phone I would say.

But other then that Ipads are more expensive then equivalent androids. Most andriods have built in GPS on even their none cellular model. Ipad you need or buy the cellular model which cost mroe to get GPS in the device. GPS is used with the Mavic app and remote for a few features.

I bought a refurbished iPad mini 2 for a couple of hundred and it has worked flawlessly. Wifi only but I can use my phone hotspot if needed or cache maps ahead of time.

Just my observation from reading through threads on other DJI drone forums I frequent, while there are definitely other tablet brands that are compatible with DJI products, it seems the Apple tablets are less problematic. Seems they work more often than not with less problems...

My supported IPads from my IPad Air, IPad Mini 4, and IPad Pro have all worked flawlessly for all my DJI birds, even switching between the original Go Ap and the Go 4...

Personally, I'm willing to spend a little more to ensure I fly problem free. Last thing I want is my tablet to lose connectivity or video feed at the worst possible moment. This isn't to say the Ipads are immune, but I've had no real problems with mine...

There is actually less benefits to use an ipad I think. probley the only benefit would be if you own an iPhone and use the apple store. If you pay for an APP on your iphone it will generally also allow your ipad to enjoy the same app for free since its on your/same account. Andriod would also the be same if you have the phone and the tablet on your same google account. Most people would buy a tablet that matches the OS of their phone I would say.

But other then that Ipads are more expensive then equivalent androids. Most andriods have built in GPS on even their none cellular model. Ipad you need or buy the cellular model which cost mroe to get GPS in the device. GPS is used with the Mavic app and remote for a few features.

Reactions: ykrt
I would guess you have an iphone. And assume thats why you have ipads.

I have only tried one tablet and only the go4 app since i got my mavic but also no problems. I dont think app problems are related to one OS from my reading.

Just my observation from reading through threads on other DJI drone forums I frequent, while there are definitely other tablet brands that are compatible with DJI products, it seems the Apple tablets are less problematic. Seems they work more often than not with less problems...

My supported IPads from my IPad Air, IPad Mini 4, and IPad Pro have all worked flawlessly for all my DJI birds, even switching between the original Go Ap and the Go 4...

Personally, I'm willing to spend a little more to ensure I fly problem free. Last thing I want is my tablet to lose connectivity or video feed at the worst possible moment. This isn't to say the Ipads are immune, but I've had no real problems with mine...

I bought a refurbished iPad mini 2 for a couple of hundred and it has worked flawlessly. Wifi only but I can use my phone hotspot if needed or cache maps ahead of time.

Without GPS in the controller or the tablet, you will not be able to change or update home point or few other gps related items. Everything else will work fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR