DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats the highest you've taken your Mavic?

390 feet- never seen a need to send mine up higher. After 350 feet or so, it's not too much different in terms of view no matter how high you go, where I live.

Plus, it's what I told the local airport guys I'd do- keeping below 400 feet so we don't even need to think about each other most of the time.

rarely higher than a couple hundred feet above the ground.

Reactions: Ez_Thug
1515 feet. Here in the California Bay Area there are some good sized hills you can fly up. I may have gone a tad excessive on that particular flight. Normally I don't go that high.

Isn't there a warning when you go to change it to anything higher than 400 feet that it's illegal and DJI isn't going to be liable for anything? I would love to see how high mine could go but staying under the 400 foot mark baring a freak updraft. I would also love to see how fast my car could go top speed on the freeway but won't. Yes I speed a little going with the flow of traffic lol.

Isn't there a warning when you go to change it to anything higher than 400 feet that it's illegal and DJI isn't going to be liable for anything? I would love to see how high mine could go but staying under the 400 foot mark baring a freak updraft. I would also love to see how fast my car could go top speed on the freeway but won't. Yes I speed a little going with the flow of traffic lol.

Its 400' AGL or the highest structure in the area. For example, if a building is 200' tall, you can fly up to 600'

1515 feet. Here in the California Bay Area there are some good sized hills you can fly up. I may have gone a tad excessive on that particular flight. Normally I don't go that high.

Sure you dont, hehe
The best RC signal you get with mavic is straight up, so i had no reservations making my way to 500m early on.
That said i didnt enable Sport mode until just recently. the former seemed less adventurous at the time.

Ok, I will be the Drone police.

Are you crazy? The legal limits are there for a reason!

Picture this, flying high getting some awesome footage then bang, sucked into a military jet, red arrows on training flight, local microlight, SAR helicopter, or any other flying object, doesn't bare thinking about! Does it?

I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I'm sure if more and more pilots flaunt the rules and publish the fact, the government across the globe will outlaw all civilian drones from flying.

If you want some high altitude images then take some screenshots from Google Earth.

As for me, I love to fly and I love to take different perspective photographs and videos.

Please don't spoil it for me and others like me.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Wow, I'm thinkin the Gov not gonna ban UAV's anytime soon. Funny how people freek n have a cow about a possibility meanwhile theres people dying on the freeway right outside their door all hours of the day. 90 some percent are NOT accidents but do to incompetence or negligence in a world where its not illegal to be stupid. Number of cars banned. Fat 0 huh. Sky aint falling yet chicken little.

Ok, I will be the Drone police.

Are you crazy? The legal limits are there for a reason!

Picture this, flying high getting some awesome footage then bang, sucked into a military jet, red arrows on training flight, local microlight, SAR helicopter, or any other flying object, doesn't bare thinking about! Does it?

I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I'm sure if more and more pilots flaunt the rules and publish the fact, the government across the globe will outlaw all civilian drones from flying.

If you want some high altitude images then take some screenshots from Google Earth.

As for me, I love to fly and I love to take different perspective photographs and videos.

Please don't spoil it for me and others like me.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Wow, I'm thinkin the Gov not gonna ban UAV's anytime soon. Funny how people freek n have a cow about a possibility meanwhile theres people dying on the freeway right outside their door all hours of the day. 90 some percent are NOT accidents but do to incompetence or negligence in a world where its not illegal to be stupid. Number of cars banned. Fat 0 huh. Sky aint falling yet chicken little.

Well said.
theres a difference between considering possible consequences and propable consequences, especially when having fun.
And the sad thing is when you be the drone police, your acting exactly as the people on the ground who dont fly drones and freak out are.
whats that saying, 'more german than the germans'

Last edited:
I would bet that almost everyone has popped up to that 500m level at some point but they will never admit it. I have done it but not while in the USA and there was no restrictions in that country. To make it short I found it to be disappointing because the camera is so far out of its ability to resolve details that the pictures end up having less resolution than google earth. I am now trying to fly as low as possible while not crashing so as to get the most from the camera.

I would bet that almost everyone has popped up to that 500m level at some point but they will never admit it. I have done it but not while in the USA and there was no restrictions in that country. To make it short I found it to be disappointing because the camera is so far out of its ability to resolve details that the pictures end up having less resolution than google earth. I am now trying to fly as low as possible while not crashing so as to get the most from the camera.

I agree that high altitude is just a stunt to see what the drone can do, not get good shots. Japan's limit is 150 meters, and I have not gone above that, because my employer would fire me if I got deported and then I couldn't afford the thousands of dollars in fines...

If I visit somewhere else I will surely try to jump up to 500 meters just for the sake of doing it.

So I was planning to take a long flight over to the marina today to capture some footage over there again. I took the Mavic to about 300' and played with the gimbal a little (i was having problems with it yesterday and wanted to ensure my fix was truly a fix). I then pinned down the throttle.

I wasn't giving my phone screen dedicated attention as my dog was chasing birds around the yard and I thought it would have been funny to of filmed that. A minute or so later I look down at my remote and think "weird... It's not reading speed. Weird... It doesn't look like it is going very fast on the screen either. ****! wrong joystick pinned down." I look at my altitude and i'm at just over 1000'. So now I'm like... Holy **** batman, I'm high. Then as I feel my palms start to sweat, the child of Mossburg's past comes back and I say... "**** it, i'm already up here." and pin it down. The result is below. I brought it back after this. I got some cool video but i'll have to upload that later.

Untitled by Chris Mossburg, on Flickr
That altitude is amazing. Did you have any high wind velocity warning pop up at all or was it all "safe to fly" the entire time? Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242