DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whats the highest you've taken your Mavic?

We all paid our 5$.... we should be able to have from 900' down. No plane or chopper goes below 1000' unless they are taking off or landing or crop dusting. Force them to stay above 1000', as they should anyway. Gives a hundred foot of separation.....

Let's start a drone revolution ! We shouldn't be the only ones who have to yield. Our numbers are growing !

Reactions: Ez_Thug
If you're near a hospital with a heli pad, isn't that considered a no fly zone ?
Nope. I called the hospital and spoke to the lead pilot and told him my location. After a short conversation in regards to my usual flight patterns and their approach and departure patterns he said I was good to go and happy flying. I am 4.75 miles from the pad. He said that they are more concerned with military jets when picking up patients. Apparently he has had a few close calls with them.

Nope. I called the hospital and spoke to the lead pilot and told him my location. After a short conversation in regards to my usual flight patterns and their approach and departure patterns he said I was good to go and happy flying. I am 4.75 miles from the pad. He said that they are more concerned with military jets when picking up patients. Apparently he has had a few close calls with them.
It is still illegal!
Just because the pilot says it's ok, doesn't mean you are good to go.
The five mile limit is there for a reason.
You could very well get a knock on your door by the FAA.

Last edited:
It is still illegal!
Just because the pilot says it's ok, doesn't mean you are good to go.
The five mile limit is there for a reason.
You could very well get a knock on your door by the FAA.
No its not. I am required to contact the airport operator or the air traffic controller of my flight. There is no air traffic controller and the lead pilot is the airport operator. He has been contacted. Notice it says "contact".

Directly from the FAA website.

1. Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
    Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

2. Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
    Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake Galloway
That's not correct!
The base of the building is at 0 feet above Ground Level.

Per the FAA website
  1. Can my blanket Section 333 Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) transfer to my UAS operation under part 107?
    No. If you fly following the requirements of Part 107, you must comply with the operating provisions specified in part 107. Part 107 limits your altitude to 400 feet unless your unmanned aircraft is flying within 400 feet of a structure (in which case you may not fly higher than 400 feet above the top of that structure). Part 107 also limits your operation to Class G airspace unless you obtain FAA permission prior to the operation to fly in controlled airspace. The blanket COA issued with your Section 333 exemption is only valid if you continue flying using the conditions and limitations in your exemption.

Reactions: v8juice
That's not correct!
The base of the building is at 0 feet above Ground Level.

Grey - no disrespect, but you are mistaken here. Towers, large buildings etc. are even shown with 2 numbers on sectionals as MSL and AGL. Tops of structures are not 0' AGL.

I hope this makes it more clear for you.

According to Jake that info he posted is directly from the FAA website.

Last edited:
So I was planning to take a long flight over to the marina today to capture some footage over there again. I took the Mavic to about 300' and played with the gimbal a little (i was having problems with it yesterday and wanted to ensure my fix was truly a fix). I then pinned down the throttle.

I wasn't giving my phone screen dedicated attention as my dog was chasing birds around the yard and I thought it would have been funny to of filmed that. A minute or so later I look down at my remote and think "weird... It's not reading speed. Weird... It doesn't look like it is going very fast on the screen either. ****! wrong joystick pinned down." I look at my altitude and i'm at just over 1000'. So now I'm like... Holy **** batman, I'm high. Then as I feel my palms start to sweat, the child of Mossburg's past comes back and I say... "**** it, i'm already up here." and pin it down. The result is below. I brought it back after this. I got some cool video but i'll have to upload that later.

Untitled by Chris Mossburg, on Flickr

Mannnnnnnn !!!!!!!! That's sweet !!!!!!

I have only taken it up to 400' as that is the standard limit set when you install the DJI app. I have tried to change it, but it always resets back to 400' after I close out of the options menu.

I occationally go up to the apps limit if the visibility and clarity is good.... So 500m is my number. There are no restrictions on uav flights in my country other than on airports no fly zones.

650'

Its 400' AGL or the highest structure in the area. For example, if a building is 200' tall, you can fly up to 600'

I think that's for 107 fliers only.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54