DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's the internal USB port for? (the one behind the status LED)

P0V

Reactions
The status LED light (the one that blinks green if all good) has a white cover that can be snapped out to reveal the LEDs behind it. Right next to those LEDs, there's a micro USB port. We tried to mess around with it (it required a custom-made/wrecked micro USB male plug), but we can't really tell what it's actually for. Yes, of course it's for testing or maintenance by DJI, but we can't really tell how to interact with it at the moment. We suspect there's some custom tool or application used in DJI factory that communicates with it.

The exact way to communicate with the external port was easy to figure out because we already have the DJI Assistant software and we can intercept the USB traffic, but with this one we don't have any information.

Anybody has some concrete information about it? Would be much appreciated.

Here's a picture from a YouTube video:
ts9Ytom.png

Reactions: Chewbacca
Hmm, i take it the obvious things like USB Networking or UART port have been ruled out ?!

Ender

The P3 has an SSD slot for the camera on the gimbal board access photos+vids. It also has one for P3 Mainboard to accesses the 4Gig SD card that holds the raw flight data. It could be the same on the Mavic to access the raw flight data for analysis.

The P3 has an SSD slot for the camera on the gimbal board access photos+vids. It also has one for P3 Mainboard to accesses the 4Gig SD card that holds the raw flight data. It could be the same on the Mavic to access the raw flight data for analysis.

interesting

It could be just for internal troubleshooting or flashing some of the components. I work for a electronic test equipment manufacturer and often times our instruments will have internal ports for accessing stuff during production or return to factory boxes for troubleshooting/programming.

This port goes to the Mavic's camera Ambarella SoC
DAim8vRXUAIZ6ue.jpg

It appears to have an RNDIS gadget enabled, but there is no DHCP server handing out IPs.
The IP range of the camera is unknown, likewise it is unknown if the interface is even puled up, or given an UP, *or* bridged to any other interfaces.

DAim8t4XgAQuoMi.jpg

Does anyone else have other detail?

RNDIS network have dhcp server on .200 firmware, it set 192.168.42.3 on my windows 7
and drone side is 192.168.42.2, can access to ftp (same as wifi 192.168.2.1)

No.... this is a different port. This is the RNDIS on the 'dikfer' port, not the side USB port.

found something about usbnet from the A9S AmbaLink Linux/Ginkgo AMP Linux (wm220_0100_v02.00.55.69_20161215.pro.fw.sig/wm220_0100_v02.04.03.85_20161222_ca02.pro.fw.sig)

#!/bin/sh

echo "Add usb net $1"

ifconfig $1 192.168.1.3

if [ t"$1" == t"usb0" ]; then
arping -I $1 -A -c 10 -s 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.10 &
fi

Thanks... 192.168.1.3 worked. Seems my Mac was having some routing issues. I switched to my linux box and was able to telnet into the a9 and get a login prompt.

interesting, try to connect android from a9 by bridged 192.168.42., A9 may be in "whitelist" ?

Would be interesting to see if the guys on the "other" forum who have reverse engineered the Mavic firmware are aware of this

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada