DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's This on my Mavic - Should I Remove It?

DownandLocked

Reactions
What's this yellow tab on my gimbal? It seems to be attached to a removable film but it is hard to remove and tears easily. It also doesn't seem to cover anything important.

P1010560.jpg

Remove the sticker, just turn your gimbal to see a top gimbal motor and carefully remove it

Why would they put a tab on something that was not meant to have the tab pulled? Ask yourself that. They (DJI) would have just created a circular stick on disk that would cover the top of the camera and not have a tab.

DO NOT REMOVE IT!
The Red Tab is there so that the factory workers have a place to hold it when peeling it from the backing and putting it on the gimbal. It is also there so that they don't get their hands into the sticky backing and messing it up.

I have left mine on for 6 weeks and numerous flights and I have had ZERO gimbal errors and no need for a calibration.
The plastic coating is very smooth and durable and I believe it helps the gimbal to slide past the rest of the metal. I originally expected the Plastic to get scratched up, but it still looks brand new. IMO that is further proof that it is not just a protective shipping cover.

The other poster is correct. DJI has stated that it should not be removed.

Rob

So its a slick slider that protects the finish on the top of ones camera and may reduce friction when the camera rotates and may "graze" the metal gimbal hold down tab. I pulled mine and any friction on the top of the camera will be reduced as the camera rotates past and grazes the gimbal tab (IF it actually ever contacts it). Just like a stone with rough edges is tumbled in the ocean water to erode all of its jaggy edges. I also like to wear in my leather products naturally. Gives it character.

I have never had an vibration, hangups, or glitchy video or picture footage either.

I personally dont care about little wear marks on the top of my camera as I never see that area anyway.

Why would they put a tab on something that was not meant to have the tab pulled? Ask yourself that. They (DJI) would have just created a circular stick on disk that would cover the top of the camera and not have a tab.

I know. I removed it when I first opened the box and after 300+ flights mine doesn't have any scratches. But then I have to ask, why would they put it on in the first place? The gimbal is protected during shipping by the gimbal lock and dome. And if it is to protect the gimbal from the gimbal lock during shipping, shouldn't you use it to protect the gimbal whenever the gimbal lock is on? I don't know, I can't figure out why DJI does a lot of the things they do, but I do like their drones.

I know. I removed it when I first opened the box and after 300+ flights mine doesn't have any scratches. But then I have to ask, why would they put it on in the first place? The gimbal is protected during shipping by the gimbal lock and dome. And if it is to protect the gimbal from the gimbal lock during shipping, shouldn't you use it to protect the gimbal whenever the gimbal lock is on? I don't know, I can't figure out why DJI does a lot of the things they do, but I do like their drones.

Its not for the gimbal clamp per se

It is to allow the top of the camera to slide over the metal gimbal hold down tab that anchors the gimbal assembly as the camera rotates and moves.

Its like when they created those skateboard truck sliders that snapped over the bottom of ones skateboard trucks to allow the trucks to slide over rails and concrete abutments.

Shite , one could just wipe a small amount of wesson vegetable oil over the top of the camera only and have virtually the same effect.
One would have to reapply the wesson oil from time to time though. :)

Last edited:
I agree with others. I've taken it off mine purely because it was a yellow tab indicating the removal. If it shouldn't have been removed, the no tab should have been included. I'm also a little confused as to why DJI included this as a fix for the gimbal scratches shown in the video (I don't (yet) have them). As the guy said in the video, surely a better fix for the issue would be to have a better metal latch....

Last edited:
I agree with others. I've taken it off mine purely because it was a yellow tab indicating the removal. If it shouldn't have been removed, the no tab should have been included. I'm also a little confused as to why DJI included this as a fix for the gimbal scratches shown in the video (I don't (yet) have them). As the guy said in the video, surely a better fix for the issue would be the have a better metal latch....

Cost. Slap on a glorified sticker versus reengineering the entire gimbal hold down metal latch / hook

They could have stuck the sticker on, without the yellow tab and no one would have ever know it was there.

They could have stuck the sticker on, without the yellow tab and no one would have ever know it was there.

As I said it would be harder to remove it from the decal sheets and harder to put onto the gimbal if you did not have that Tab. Also it makes is easier for assembly line inspectors to verify that it was installed.

Reactions: Col@Medlow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC