DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When Does Mavic Disappear

Cookedinlh

Reactions
I'm seeing lots of RANGE test videos and ALTITUDE records for Phantom and Mavic . . what I want to know is how . . . cause I don't actually have mine yet . . .(yea I'm jealous) . . How far can you see a Mavic Pro under optimal conditions.? I loose sight of my Phantom 4 at about 1300ft if I take my eyes off it . . . If I keep focused on it then maybe between 1600 and 1800ft if the lighting is good. Mavic is even smaller cross-section so I expect it will be less . . but how much less?. I'm talking VLOS (Visual Line Of Sight) . . no binoculars.

Anyone share some personal experience I can at least dream about?
Thanks
Cookedinlh

it looks like your in the same boat as me. You can see your Mavic until you order it and then it disappears forever :)

Reactions: Cookedinlh
I'm seeing lots of RANGE test videos and ALTITUDE records for Phantom and Mavic . . what I want to know is how . . . cause I don't actually have mine yet . . .(yea I'm jealous) . . How far can you see a Mavic Pro under optimal conditions.? I loose sight of my Phantom 4 at about 1300ft if I take my eyes off it . . . If I keep focused on it then maybe between 1600 and 1800ft if the lighting is good. Mavic is even smaller cross-section so I expect it will be less . . but how much less?. I'm talking VLOS (Visual Line Of Sight) . . no binoculars.

Anyone share some personal experience I can at least dream about?
Thanks
Cookedinlh

Don't have any light left or I would test this out for it. But for my short time of having the mavic, I know you can see clearly from 200-300ft up compared to my P4. Closer to the ground its a different story.

I have flown a few times and about 200-300 feet of elevation and about 1000 feet distance is what I get for visual line of sight until I start to loose it.

it looks like your in the same boat as me. You can see your Mavic until you order it and then it disappears forever :)
ROTFL . . rolling on the floor laughing . . . not the answer I was looking for but . . . it will keep me smiling as I anticipate the moment the UPS truck arrives . . thanks;)

i think when the Mavic transforms to flightmode ( yea it's a transformer), it's almost as wide as a phantom right? Plus the dark grey I'm assuming will b easier to see during the daytime? Imo, it might end up being the same in the end.

I think the honest truth here is that the individuals flying 4+ miles out....are simply ignoring the VLOS laws...not condemning and am kinda jealous as I don't have the guts to do it or break the rules...but it's the truth aint it?

They may also interpret it differently. After all flying in VLOS doesn't literally have to mean you can see the drone. Only the rough space it occupies. VLOS doesn't mean you can't use your screen after all and the main purpose of flying within VLOS is not so much to be staring at your drone so much as it is to be able to see other things which may be suddenly sharing its airspace such as aircraft, parachutes, etc. And to see what is around the drone. Not the drone itself.

If, for example, you are flying your mavic a mile away over a small lake which you can clearly see the entire surface of then it could be said you are flying within VLOS even if you can't see your Mavic itself. You know exactly where it is thanks to the video feed and map as well as other readings, and you can see the air space it is flying within with your eyes. Because you can see the airspace it occurpies that would fit the literal definition of flying within visual line of sight even if your mavic itself is to small to see. Your position is still viewable.

Reactions: Bandit287
They may also interpret it differently. After all flying in VLOS doesn't literally have to mean you can see the drone. Only the rough space it occupies. VLOS doesn't mean you can't use your screen after all and the main purpose of flying within VLOS is not so much to be staring at your drone so much as it is to be able to see other things which may be suddenly sharing its airspace such as aircraft, parachutes, etc. And to see what is around the drone. Not the drone itself.

If, for example, you are flying your mavic a mile away over a small lake which you can clearly see the entire surface of then it could be said you are flying within VLOS even if you can't see your Mavic itself. You know exactly where it is thanks to the video feed and map as well as other readings, and you can see the air space it is flying within with your eyes. Because you can see the airspace it occurpies that would fit the literal definition of flying within visual line of sight even if your mavic itself is to small to see. Your position is still viewable.

While your definition seems reasonable, I believe the FAA considers vlos to include not only seeing the aircraft without visual aids other than corrective eye wear, but also requires the pic to see the attitude of the aircraft.

If you can still see the speck in the sky but cannot see if it is flying to or away from you, it's not vlos according to my understanding of FAA rules.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
While your definition seems reasonable, I believe the FAA considers vlos to include not only seeing the aircraft without visual aids other than corrective eye wear, but also requires the pic to see the attitude of the aircraft.

If you can still see the speck in the sky but cannot see if it is flying to or away from you, it's not vlos according to my understanding of FAA rules.

Exactly, just as you stated.

When it gets more than 230 meters away from me, I lost LOS already.. maybe because I am an old man and I can't see that far anymore..
LOL..

furthest range test I dare do is around 3.4k meters. and I only do this where there is absolutely no Radio or Video signal interferences..

I am sure you are right. With regard to how the FAA sees it. Just making the argument given the small size. Also, does it still technically apply given recent rulings regarding the limits on the FAAs ability to regulate hobby use? They word so many recommendations as though they were hard and fast rules as well that it can be hard to keep it straight.

Last edited:

You are deluding yourself; read the study material for Part 107, you'll get straightened out in your thinking.

You are deluding yourself; read the study material for Part 107, you'll get straightened out in your thinking.

Right. Do you realize that I postulated a possible interpretation and never stated that it was my own interpretation? Or was your horse to high to read that closely. I know full well what the FAA part 107 states. It is in the summary as well. it was a possible interpretation that a person may have based on the literal term.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929