DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When to charge your controller and batteries?

armoredsaint

Reactions
How low do you let your controller get until you charge it and the batteries also, any rule of thumb besides what I read about battery storage

After a Typical flying session my Battery packs are at around 30% and the controller in the 65% region. I leave everything as is for the whole week and then the night before or the early morning of the next weekends flight I charge everything to 100%. So far I have not missed a weekend but if I do I will check the charge and tap them back up to 40% and let them sit until the next weekend.

I am SOL if a UFO is hovering over my house, no full batteries to follow him with :D:D

Rob

Is it just me or does this controller discharge very quickly? My P3P lasts forever on a charge.

Reactions: SKLNJ
Yes, after using the P3 RC the MP is more like keeping track of a flight battery. I think you can get 3 flights from one RC charge.

Reactions: InsaneShane
That's odd, I can get 5 flights and still have power left. Are you guys using android phones that are charging from the controller?

Reactions: Edjes
I get about 5 flights too (iPhone 6S+)... that being said I fly almost every day so I usually keep everything topped up 100%. I have the batteries set to automatically discharge to safe storage level after 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
020b761e3666f699c0ef4f4c99bf0cb0.jpg

Reactions: InsaneShane
do you need to repeat that process for every battery?

That's a great question! I had the same one and to be honest I'm not 100% sure. I found the number of days came up the same in the app settings after I switched batteries, so it may be stored in the Mavic and communicated to each battery automatically when they are inserted for a flight. Honestly I meant to, but I haven't yet dug into this one.

For battery, when not being used for couple days, they should be charged to full instead of being left empty for storage. I charge my empty batteries right after my sessions.

As a general rule, Lipo batteries last longer if they are stored at around 40 to 60% Prolonged storage outside (above or bellow) this range will educe the battery life.

The self discharge of the DJI batteries will look after reducing the the charge on a fully charged battery but you will need to check periodically that the battery charge hasn't dropped too low and top up to say 50% if it has. Lipo batteries can die if they are left to discharge fully.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: alvinmavic1
For battery, when not being used for couple days, they should be charged to full instead of being left empty for storage. I charge my empty batteries right after my sessions.

Here's what I based my understanding on. I think it's the reason why the Mavic batteries automatically discharge.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Also here is a screen shot from the DJI battery safety document.

78cf686963867a75b3ccea7517024c1a.jpg

That's odd, I can get 5 flights and still have power left. Are you guys using android phones that are charging from the controller?
YES. THIS. Stupid phone decides to drain the controller... trying to disable this feature right now lol

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair