DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When updating firmware, do you take off the gimbal clamp.....

dcpmark

Reactions
....when powering up the Mavic? Or do you just leave the clamp and dome in place?

Best to remove the clamp any time you plan to power up the Mavic air-frame.

Best to remove the clamp any time you plan to power up the Mavic air-frame.

I've about decided it's better for me to leave it off all the time because it's too easy for me to leave it on when I'm just powering up to change settings or update firmware. It seems that the protection it offers would only be needed for a big shock, like a drop.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

A good idea is to drill a hole in the gimball clamp and attach a ribon to it. This way, it will always be clear it's still on the drone.
Excellent idea, since it is crucially important to remove the clamp anytime you power up the Mavic - for whatever reason!

Excellent idea, since it is crucially important to remove the clamp anytime you power up the Mavic - for whatever reason!
Overloads the gimbal motor when it tries to initialize, it has overload protection but the conciseness is repeated overloads is bad for the motor and can cause premature failure.

Overloads the gimbal motor when it tries to initialize, it has overload protection but the conciseness is repeated overloads is bad for the motor and can cause premature failure.
Great description of why.
But with "for whatever reason", I meant for whatever reason you power up the Mavic - I can see how it can be interpreted otherwise LOL!!

2a232916c7eb6cc26457036a50ae6b0f.jpg

This is my new reminder. Lol

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: McMavic
Great description of why.
But with "for whatever reason", I meant for whatever reason you power up the Mavic - I can see how it can be interpreted otherwise LOL!!
Punctuation is everything. :) a comma instead of the hyphen and I would have caught it.

Reactions: Frits
I already forgot to remove the clamp twice before flight and also before turning it on for update.
So I ordered some "remove before flight"-flags! :rolleyes:

Now there's an eBay opportunity if there ever was one.....
Selling red "Remove before Flight" ribbons for the gimbal lock on the DJI Mavic Pro. I'd buy one or two.

This is the very reason I ordered the 3D printed lens cap and gimble lock from Dynamic 3D Solutions. I'm good with removing the stock clamp before flight, since I'm pretty meticulous with my pre-flight list...but I'm not always great when I'm doing some kind of check with the camera, or the update, or whatever I'm doing on the bench. I figure a big red lens cover with be a good reminder!

After my first Mavic came with a defective Gimbal right out of the box, I've made sure to do everything possible to remove unnecessary stress from mine- that definitely includes removing the gimbal clamp every time before powering on for any reason, so it can flex in that funny way it does. Like the camera's doing warmup stretches.

I just received this Lens Cover and Gimbal Lock from Dynamic3DSolutions (approved vendor) a few days ago, took me a bit head scratching and going to the iMac to watch the instructions, but it works great, you can't miss it and it protects the lens a tad better. He has versions for some of the filters, which I never leave on anyway. I have purchased several other different things for both the Mavic and Phantoms from this guy and he's very responsive and reliable. I also like these Battery Terminal Covers and Mavic Pin Terminal Cover (for inside the body of the Mavic).

IMG_1655.JPG.jpeg IMG_1652.JPG.jpeg

I solved the problem by just spray painting my stock gimbal bright red. I haven't forgotten to take it off since I did that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje