DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where can I even fly :/

nelson.meeks12

Reactions
Hello!

I'm a new Mavic pilot (based in US) and been doing a lot of research on the FAA website as well as the Airmap & Know Before You Fly. I'm a landscape/nature photographer and the more I read about drone flying restrictions, the more I regret purchasing the Mavic (especially TOTAL banning of drone in US national parks...is this really TRUE :(?). I totally understand the safety issue and to not fly around/above airports, crowded areas, skyscrapers, >400 ft, etc. However, based on the Airmap & KBYF websites, it honestly seems like I cannot fly ANYWHERE besides a dedicated "drone" grass field.

I have no intentions of breaking the law and again understand the safety reasons behind these restrictions, but I do feel that the drone community is misrepresented. What are your thoughts & how do you all fly within the guidelines and get good footage?

Thank you all! Happy flying!

-N. Meeks

Yes, National Parks are currently off-limits, although I have heard of some getting permits to fly there.

Check with your local and State parks to see if they permit flight. Near me, one county doesn't restrict it - fortunately. Many National Recreation areas are OK as well.

In short, it varies from place to place.

Reactions: jointeffort
I'm with you on the National Park thing, and in my state, state parks as well. National Forests are still ok as long as it isn't a dedicated wilderness area. As for Airmap, don't be terribly discouraged. As a recreational flyer, all you need to do is call the airport and tell them where, and when you'll be flying.

I admit is is a pain right now as things get better hashed out, but giving up is exactly what they would rather we do, than have to deal with us.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme