DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where do I fly now?

Roo

Reactions
About a month ago I called my local government authority to see if they had any issues with me flying from a local park or sports field, obviously only when empty. They advised they'd never had anyone ask before, and came back to say there's no local rules so I'm ok to fly, just follow the CASA rules. Today I took the day off work to fly, went to a park I've flown 5 or 6 times before, this time to try my first Litchi flight. When I got there I saw some council workers so I approached them to ask if they minded if I flew on the nearby field. They weren't sure, so they gave me the number of the operations depot. I called them, again they weren't sure so escalated to the parks supervisor. When she called me back, I was advised it's a 'no', and this applies to all local government (council) owned land. I'm kinda regretting being so open and keen to do the right thing, and feel I should have just shut up, waited for the workers to leave and flown after they left, basing my permission on the premise of the call a month ago. Thoughts? Does anyone on here know places in Western Australia I might fly completely legally or without the potential for controversy?

Bit unfortunate isn't it. I personally have never had any issues with the public / authorities, but I always make sure not too many people are around when I fly - just to avoid any potential angry observers.

Just go back and fly there. I bet they wont even remember who you are and if they do tell you to leave, just do so happily.

This is the problem with some people. It is far easier for them to say no and risk nothing then to say yes and have the possibility of something going wrong. I'd check out the new CASA 'Can I fly there?' application and if its legal, pop it back up in the sky.

Reactions: Roo and Kilrah
Bit unfortunate isn't it. I personally have never had any issues with the public / authorities, but I always make sure not too many people are around when I fly - just to avoid any potential angry observers.

Just go back and fly there. I bet they wont even remember who you are and if they do tell you to leave, just do so happily.

This is the problem with some people. It is far easier for them to say no and risk nothing then to say yes and have the possibility of something going wrong. I'd check out the new CASA 'Can I fly there?' application and if its legal, pop it back up in the sky.

I've also never had an issue with others or authorities, and have only flown when no other people around. And a few weeks earlier I was allowed to fly there! Annoyingly the council workers I saw finished their work and left before the parks supervisor called me back with an answer! I might just go back another day. Otherwise, I guess I'll need to save up some more leave time and plan trip away and hope I can find some places along the way.

It's always a bit of a conundrum, don't ask keep low profile and fly, or ask permission get rejected so do you still fly or not?
If no signs up and you are complying with CASA then do it.
Obviously you wouldn't fly there if it's busy.

Reactions: Roo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair