DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where do you fly the most?

gixxerbill

Reactions
Where I fly the most isat my house in my neighborhood. I have been all over it even checking a new hotel going up 6 or 7 blocks away. I can see the workmen on the roof waiving at it. Most of my neighbors seem cool and except for this one lady that was worried about me filming her in her backyard. I told her I don't film around the neighborhood only fly to respect peoples privacy. I mean lets face it you really can't make out stuff on a 7inch screen. The other day she was watching me fly in my lot doing tricks and stuff and she told me I have gotten pretty good. Just I was feeling proud my other neighbor came over and said his chihuahua got attack by my rotweillers but it was not their fault his stupid chihuahua went under my fence. I have no idea what that little sucker was thinking.

Second place is on Padre Island. I can take off from my condo deck and fly to where all the boats park to party so I know when I need to leave to get good spot(right at 1 mile away over water.

The next place is where all the boats park so I show my friends how cool the mav is.

what about ya'll?

I fly at the local park or the lake. The only two places really around where I live. It gets boring after awhile though.

Anywhere i feel comfortable. If i am home so is the Mavic, if i go out in car or sometimes even on bus etc so does the Mavic,

I Do not have just one place, i have one place where i test it after upgrades and recheck settings calibrate and do an hours test flying.

Other than that, If i feel comfortable and away from air traffic she goes up.

Beaches, lakes, bridges, construction projects, golf courses, sports complexes...lots of cool places to fly around here.

My property and if I'm going for distance I go to wide open farmland. Also go to destinations if there is something I want to film but that probably accounts for about 10% of my flying

My property and if I'm going for distance I go to wide open farmland. Also go to destinations if there is something I want to film but that probably accounts for about 10% of my flying
so the other 90% is more just to check out the world from above and not recording?

so the other 90% is more just to check out the world from above and not recording?

I do a combination of things with 90% of my flying:
  • Just fly to get stick time to build my fundamental flight skills
  • Try out and experiment with all the different flight modes and features
  • Discovery and checkout missions to learn more about the geography around me
  • Experiment and learn how to use features/capabilities of apps i.e. DJI GO, Litchi, Hangar 360, X-Mirage,etc
  • Learn more about photography and cinematography and dial in camera/ND settings
  • Do some distance testing
  • Take photos and video of my property and family events on my property
  • I have gravity fed irrigation water to my property and when the water stops flowing unexpectedly the first thing I do is send my Mavic up the hill to the irrigation canal(pipe goes from canal to my property and is ~3/4miles long) to see if the problem is no water in the canal which saves me time diagnosing the problem
  • Inspect tree damage
  • Sometimes I fly just for the sheer joy of flying i.e. I don't focus on flight skills but just let'er rip mostly in Sport mode
  • Lot of vultures where I live and sometimes I try to follow them in flight for the fun of it, usually only lasts a few seconds before their flight skills trump mine and they ditch me
  • Demo Mavic technology for family and friends
  • Sometimes my dogs get out of ear shot and don't respond to vocal RTH command;) so I use Mavic to search and corral them
  • Used my Mavic once to to take a picture of my property that I doubled as a drawing that I used as part of submitting a county permit for solar
  • Probably other things I'm forgetting...

I live on a farm so mostly I fly in my back yard. But it does get boring flying over the same thing all the time. Which I am still a new pilot as I have only had it for a month, but all those video games weren't wasted! I have flown in several different places though and actually took my Mavic on a week long kayaking trip where I flew in a some great places. Right now I am doing a time lapse at work (for fun) and taking it up in the same spot every day for the next three months.

Reactions: geigy and M4RK
I've only had my mavic a little over a week approximately and I like taking video of the town I live in and posting it for my friends who have moved away. Letting them see the changes since they moved away After High School. My mavic has not been out of town yet but I am planning a trip to see my doctor in Salt Lake City on Tuesday so it will go with me. My kids live in Grand Junction Colorado and so it's going to go there soon. My youngest boy and I are going to Ireland next year and that will be the Mavics most crowning achievement.

I'm pretty lucky that I live near a great place. It's a large park, Cesar Chavez in Berkeley, Calif. On weekends it's almost like a continuous club day.

Last edited:
I live near the Rockies and flying around and over the foothills and the adjacent valleys is beautiful. As most of you, I feel fortunate to be able to fly in a terrific place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madkiwi