DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where to buy (UK)?

Rip

Reactions
I'm about to pre-order a Mavic + 'Fly More Combo' from a local (ish) retailer (www.hobbymounts.co.uk), I 'was' going to buy direct from DJI but I was told that their returns policy is only 7 days and that they can sometimes be difficult to deal with, so my question is: Is there any reason not to choose my local retailer over any other retailer in the UK? (First drone purchase you see so I'm not clued up on all the retailers) I plan on adding DJI's Refresh also so opinions on that, worth it or not?

Disclaimer:- although this is my first actual drone purchase I have flown all sorts of RC aircraft over the years including traditional helicopters (some even with no stabilization/gyro's so I 'should' be fine withe Mavic as my first drone.

I've pre-ordered from Hobbymounts as they are my local dealer as well.

For me it's about aftercare. I have far more faith that my local dealer will sort any issues that I may have, than I do in buying from an oversea's company where UK consumer law means nothing.

An alternative to Refresh might be a good insurance policy. Again, this is just personal opinion, but I'm reluctant to trust DJI with any issues I may have. As far as I know, Refresh doesn't cover fly-away's or water damage. As there have already been a few cases of the Mavic losing control, what happens if it does this and lands in a puddle? I added the Mavic to my photography gear insurance (gives public liability as well as new for old etc).

It seems no dealers know when they will get stock (noticed Amazon removed their dates this morning and Apple are showing 5th January for in-store). Dji now say 7-8 weeks for existing orders (dealer bought and direct).

I went with Photoguard.

They have a good rep on photography forums.

i would (in retrospect) put the entire thing out of your mind and come back in late January.. by then you should be able to walk into your local store and buy one over the counter.. :)

trog

I'm about to pre-order a Mavic + 'Fly More Combo' from a local (ish) retailer (www.hobbymounts.co.uk), I 'was' going to buy direct from DJI but I was told that their returns policy is only 7 days and that they can sometimes be difficult to deal with, so my question is: Is there any reason not to choose my local retailer over any other retailer in the UK? (First drone purchase you see so I'm not clued up on all the retailers) I plan on adding DJI's Refresh also so opinions on that, worth it or not?

Disclaimer:- although this is my first actual drone purchase I have flown all sorts of RC aircraft over the years including traditional helicopters (some even with no stabilization/gyro's so I 'should' be fine withe Mavic as my first drone.
Hi,
Very.co.uk has the Mavic Fly More Combo for pre order for £1249.00 and they are giving 10% cashback until 17th November. If you open a new account with them, they offer a 20% discount on your first order.

Reactions: Rip
Thanks guys, the only reason I wanted to pre-order was to get my name on the list as it were, I don't want to be in a position where there is no stock anywhere come January due to large amounts of pre-orders being shipped out with peoples names on. Didn't actually think about third party insurance, I'll look in to that thanks :)

i have feeling that this story will have a "waiting for a bus" kind of ending.. wait for ages and then a whole bunch arrives at once..

partly because i think DJI knew full well they could not produce when they claimed to and when the production line really does get running and initial orders allowing for cancellations are met the supply problem will be quickly over..

come February 2017 mavics will be readily available.. i could be wrong but its how i see all this working out..

trog

I can imagine not only the "waiting for a bus" scenario but also not so much of a shortage of stock by the time everybody who has ordered from 2 or more suppliers cancel all their surplus orders after one of their orders ships, who knows might even be some going cheap due to overstocking, probably not though :)

I've just resigned myself to it will turn up eventually

Reactions: mikeroycollins
Hi,
Very.co.uk has the Mavic Fly More Combo for pre order for £1249.00 and they are giving 10% cashback until 17th November. If you open a new account with them, they offer a 20% discount on your first order.

So that would be:

£1249 - £249.80 = £999.20
Plus a further £124.90 back in cashback taking it to £874.30 for the Fly More Bundle.

That seems very cheap! Have I got it wrong? I can see the 20% discount, but can't see any reference to the 10% cashback?

So that would be:

£1249 - £249.80 = £999.20
Plus a further £124.90 back in cashback taking it to £874.30 for the Fly More Bundle.

That seems very cheap! Have I got it wrong? I can see the 20% discount, but can't see any reference to the 10% cashback?

Replying to myself but I've seen the 10% cashback now :D. I make it:

Fly Less: £999 - £199.8 = £799.20 - £79.92 = £719.28
Fly More:
£1249 - £249.80 = £999.20 - £99.92 = £899.28

If that's true they are great prices, plus you get to spread the cost. The big downside is the supposed 7-8 week wait if you order now.

seem too cheap for such an out of balance supply/demand scenario.. but anything is possible.. :)

trog

Thanks guys, the only reason I wanted to pre-order was to get my name on the list as it were, I don't want to be in a position where there is no stock anywhere come January due to large amounts of pre-orders being shipped out with peoples names on. Didn't actually think about third party insurance, I'll look in to that thanks :)
Another reason to buy now at current price is exchange rate changes will probably require maybe £100 increase though typically after the initial rush prices creep down or at least they start doing included things like a second battery free.
The main dealers are mainly very good, and will send stuff out extremely promptly.

Considering flying time is going to be quite limited until almost March now, I'd be inclined to hold off until at least New Year.

Replying to myself but I've seen the 10% cashback now :D. I make it:

Fly Less: £999 - £199.8 = £799.20 - £79.92 = £719.28
Fly More:
£1249 - £249.80 = £999.20 - £99.92 = £899.28

If that's true they are great prices, plus you get to spread the cost. The big downside is the supposed 7-8 week wait if you order now.

TBH I'd rather pay the extra £350 and buy from an actual hobby store but that IS a very tempting price! I've never bought anything from 'Very' so I have no idea how they work.

it doesn't work tried today you have to open an account and the maximum credit they will give is £750 theres no way to get it

I've placed an order there, got a £3k credit limit off the bat but it's only showing 20% off. Worse case, if my other order arrives first I'll cancel this but if I can work out how to get the extra 10% off, £350 is a significant saving.

Their reported delivery date is the 17th Nov...

BUMP! Ok, I've ordered the Fly More bundle with Very.co.uk in the end. I got the 20% off so it came to:

£1249 - £249.80 (20% off) + £3.99 (delivery) = £1003.19

I only got £750 credit so I also had to pay £253.19 up front to make up the total. The remaining £750 I can pay over the next 12 months.

I should also eventually get the 10% cashback (£100.30) which means it'll end up costing £902.87 for the Fly More Bundle.

That was too good to turn down. The big downside it'll probably be Jan/Feb before I get it (I'm being realistic), but well it's England and flying opportunities are limited around that time of year anyway. Hopefully most of the minor issues reported will have been fixed by then. Trying to think of the positives :D

there are no "positives".. the whole fiasco is negative.. as yet DJI have not cleared orders made during the first two days.. they have been shipping for two weeks now or so they say..

what people should be doing in a sane world is forgetting about buying a mavic until they are actually available for sale..

trog

I think if I had already parted with £1249 when I placed my order like many appear to have done I would have already cancelled it without a blink of an eye due to these ridiculous delays and reorder when stock is sitting on the shelves.

I still keep thinking about cancelling my order just in case the “production/shipping” problem is down to a hardware fault they are trying to fix, not so bad if it’s something that a firmware update can fix. It just seems a bit fishy If they are saying that they can’t produce enough, I’m sure even if they employed my old granny to assemble them she could turn out 10 a day but they don’t seem to even ship that many.

The deal from Very also looks very tempting and going to the back of the queue might not be a bad thing if it is a hardware issue and save nearly £350 as well, wonder how long it will be before Very cotton on and exclude Mavics from the offer....hmmmm

i ordered from a chinese based RC seller.. they actually had them listed as in stock (pre order) when i ordered the basic package i saw the number drop from 8 to seven.. i though all is good..

i assumed they did have them in stock but would not ship until the DJI release date.. it now seems that what they listed as in stock was what they had ordered from DJI.. they thought they would actually get what they ordered.. how wrong they were.. he he

they are now telling me the end of November but that is just a guess.. which leaves me £809 pounds out of pocket and wondering just how long to wait before i cancel..

trog

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore