DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where To Place FAA Registration Number?

Drowsy

Reactions
The Mavic will be my first drone, and I fully intend to register it with the FAA. Once I receive the registration number, where do I affix it on the Mavic itself? Do I put it on the rear like a license plate? Inside the battery compartment? Under one of the arms?

On all of our units we put it somewhere easily visible. Although it can be placed anywhere that can be accessed with tools, why not make it easy and just have it visible? After all, if you were to lose your drone an average person that finds it won't know how to pop open the drone or maybe even remove the battery. Why not make it easy for them to see the number and hopefully get it back to you. For the Mavic I would suggest attaching the number to the rear of the body or maybe just along the side of the body (could also do one on each side of the body).

You could make it very visible but then you risk having someone that 'hates drones' reporting you and making up stuff. That's perhaps an unlikely situation, but not something you would want to deal with if it could be avoided.

Beyond that, placing it one the outside makes it more likely that it will come off and get lost, whereas if it were put inside the battery compartment you have little chance of losing it and you don't encourage the haters to call you in for no good reason.

I'll be putting mine inside the battery compartment as I did with my Inspire 1.

Brian

Completely personal preference. You make great points, @Raptorman. Most of our flying is for commercial use on a closed set or private property and therefore the clients we are working with typically like seeing that all of our drones have the proper registration and for some, an N-Number. We've made ours on a handheld Dymo Labeler that we have and have never had a problem with them coming off after probably hundreds of in's and out's with their cases.

Reactions: Yourguide
Completely personal preference. You make great points, @Raptorman. Most of our flying is for commercial use on a closed set or private property and therefore the clients we are working with typically like seeing that all of our drones have the proper registration and for some, an N-Number.
I'm guessing you already know this, but displaying your N-Number on the outside of your aircraft is not a personal preference and/or something that should be done to impress clients. It's the law.

I'm guessing you already know this, but displaying your N-Number on the outside of your aircraft is not a personal preference and/or something that should be done to impress clients. It's the law.

Yes, most definitely, Mike. We are well aware ;)

I could be wrong but the topic is asking about the location of the registration number so they're likely saying where the number is placed is the preference of the owner.

I could be wrong but the topic is asking about the location of the registration number so they're likely saying where the number is placed is the preference of the owner.

Yes, completely preference of the owner. The OP was simply asking if there is any specific place you are supposed to put the registration number or anywhere people recommend.

That's easy, put your number right next to this sticker.
a6afd064ad5c3846f6b657cde9a05eaa.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, right under the battery should be perfect.
I agree and that's your personal number not for general consumption
When the registration requirement first came out for drones everybody was posting their FAA registration number. That number can be used against if gotten in the hands of the wrong person. Treat that number like your drivers license number, available when needed.

Unless you have the ability to hack the FAA database (not impossible) the mere fact that someone has the number is of no great importance as far as i am concerned. If you want to report me for rules violations you had better have video proof, as I follow them. Besides, you will need access to my drone to get the number and it never leaves my sight (or the spotters), so good luck with that.

Yes -- it can be placed anywhere that's easily accessible if you're a hobbyist. Advexure registers with the FAA as a commercial pilot though, so his choices are far more limited.

Mine is going under the battery. My contact info will be going on the sides.

Mine is going under the battery. My contact info will be going on the sides.
Same here, I always put a REWARD sticker with my cell number on my A/C just in case, haven't needed it yet (knock on wood) but you never know.
I know one Pilot who put on a sticker that read: PROPERTY OF THE US GOVERNMENT IF FOUND CALL: and his number. I wonder if that ever worked for him.

I want one of those stickers for my case!

If you want to keep people away from your case, you put this sticker on it: :D

biohazard.png

Registration # under the battery makes it very likely no one will see it unless they're both knowledgeable and looking for it, which I gather some are considering a good thing. I would make sure contact info is more visible than that. My phantom's registration is across the top, comfortably shielded from ground-based prying eyes but plainly visible from the air or if my craft goes down, FWIW

Reactions: grizzard and Derf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent