DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which filter for bad lens flare/ glare?? CP filter or ND?

hidaven

Reactions
Or both?? lol. This mavic has really bad lens flare or glare. What have you all tried with success? I was thinking of a polarizer or ND filter. Rather just get the CP filter to block out any light if possible. I know PP has a ND4 and Polarizer in one but the 2 stops of light is a big hit at dusk......Or maybe a lenshood? Whats your experience?? TIA, Dave

Lens flare won't be stopped with a filter. It is a result of the light hitting the front element or filter directly. The only way to prevent it is either keeping the camera pointed in a direction/angle so as to avoid a direct strike, or a lens hood of some sort.

Incidentally, I've flown other professional platforms where this was much more of a problem than the Mavic. You just have to plan your shots a little more carefully, during low sun angles.

Last edited:
Lens flare is an issue for broadcast/professional level cameras too.

ND filters cut the amount of light hitting the sensor which probably reduces the flare, but only because less light is hitting the front element. It won't actually resolve the issue.

Like Rob said, framing shots is the key to reducing lens flares.

Some filters help with that - not becasue they're filters though, just becasue the added thickness acts as a hood.

Sun shade/hat/visor/hood will help a little. It will double as a gimbal protector.
The one below is the same as Youtuber's Peter Homers. I just bought a spare dome and painted the inside matt black.

20161225_212001_resized.jpg

This low winter sun is a bummer, flew yesterday and lots of lens flair, sure hope FStop Labs gets those injection molded hoods out soon.

So not even a polarizing filter would help? Doesn't a CP filter cut down on lateral light??

I have the P4P as well and that thing wouldn't flare if you paid it! BIG difference in the 2 lenses.

So not even a polarizing filter would help? Doesn't a CP filter cut down on lateral light??
A CP filter does reduce light from reflective surfaces, such as water, shiny leaves and such, but when direct light hits it you will still have flare.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair