DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Goggles?

Steve Gross:

First, thank you for the info, I have been looking and contemplating for over a year. Bought and tried a few that you mentioned but not satisfied. Nice to see someone who gives a good comparison....

Question: I'm assuming you wear a baseball hat or similar?... and that is enough shade to keep the light out and still see above/below the glasses for LOS viewing?

Seeing the K1 screen outside in sunlight probably will be an issue, if that is a consideration and, your question. Seeing the Mavic controllers screen might be also

I knew I was forgetting some of the goggles I tested, I forgot to mention the Yuneec goggles, I tested those also. Light weight and comfortable, the picture was amazing but an ill design in the lower viewing area, chopped off around my nose (so to speak). But again, I am tired of wearing a box on my face or, I'd just stick with Headplays. The Glyphs will spoil.

So, I will not fly a drone without FPV. That is the only way I can fly. At 50 ft out or even less these tired old eyes cant see orientation. Yes I know the regs but, it is what it is for this old man.. I only fly with FPV goggles. Yes, I wear a hat, always have. Not sure that will help see any of the screens. As stated I have only bench tested the goggles (inside) and for pic quality, so, I have not flown Mavic outside as yet. I did order a sun shade others have recommended for the tablet so, I don't know real life outdoor flying yet, is my answer to your question.

Question: I'm assuming you wear a baseball hat or similar?... is that enough shade to keep the light out and still see above/below the glasses for Line Of Sight viewing?

I had already answered that question. perhaps I did not post it correctly, I'm not so good with these forums and make mistakes all the time.
I had said that all of these goggles had only been bench tested thus far and no actual flying............winter here and I'm still learning Mavic Pro, DJI GO4 and Litchi

To use goggles with the Mavic Pro I assume you have to use the Litchi app, is this correct?
Primarily, I use DJI Go App with the Avegant Glyphs. Why does it matter which app is being used?

Primarily, I use DJI Go App with the Avegant Glyphs. Why does it matter which app is being used?

He is probably wondering how you are running both a tablet and goggles at the same time... how you have it wired/linked up to the controller ports etc... and I'd like more info on that too if possible? :)

He is probably wondering how you are running both a tablet and goggles at the same time... how you have it wired/linked up to the controller ports etc... and I'd like more info on that too if possible? :)
I'm using the Nvidia K1 Shield as a tablet. The Avegant Glyphs plug into the HDMI port on the K1. Since the K1 is an Android device that limits the choice of Apps to Go and Litchi. But, it doesn't matter which App you choose since the K1 runs the HDMI port, not the App. After connecting the Glyphs the K1 will ask you if you want Mirror mode, or Gaming mode. Mirror mode is what you want.

Found a thread on this very tablet holder here on MavPilots (after I already posted to this thread)
Anyone try this tablet holder?

Thank You Steve Gross..... That tablet holder looks like it may be a great alternative and it is a reasonable price!!

I found a video for the PGY tablet holder

ALSO...... There looks to be TWO different types of this mount.... The one shown in the video above with the 1 arm/ball that flips up...... and another that takes 2 separate arms/balls that come together shown below.

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.27.12 AM.png

Last edited:
I'm using the Nvidia K1 Shield as a tablet. The Avegant Glyphs plug into the HDMI port on the K1. Since the K1 is an Android device that limits the choice of Apps to Go and Litchi. But, it doesn't matter which App you choose since the K1 runs the HDMI port, not the App. After connecting the Glyphs the K1 will ask you if you want Mirror mode, or Gaming mode. Mirror mode is what you want.
Am I correct in assuming there's no way, at least at the moment, for the Glyph's head tracking to operate the gimbal pitch?

Am I correct in assuming there's no way, at least at the moment, for the Glyph's head tracking to operate the gimbal pitch?
I'm pretty sure that's the case. There would have to be some communication between the Glyph's and DJI Go App. And, then that functionality would have to be added to DJI Go App.

BudWalker,

I have the same setup as yours. However, if I choose the orientation of K1 with HDMI cable on the right side of k1, the Glyph screen is fine but K1 screen will show upside down. Is there any way you can correct this issue? I have already tried to lock the screen from K1 but as soon as HDMI cable connect to Glyph and select Mirror Mode in K1, K1 screen will show upside down.

BudWalker,

I have the same setup as yours. However, if I choose the orientation of K1 with HDMI cable on the right side of k1, the Glyph screen is fine but K1 screen will show upside down. Is there any way you can correct this issue? I have already tried to lock the screen from K1 but as soon as HDMI cable connect to Glyph and select Mirror Mode in K1, K1 screen will show upside down.
Just tried it on mine and it behaves the same. But, I have mine oriented with the HDMI on the left so it's not a problem. I'm assuming that there is a reason you don't want to do that?

Just tried it on mine and it behaves the same. But, I have mine oriented with the HDMI on the left so it's not a problem. I'm assuming that there is a reason you don't want to do that?
Thanks for prompt reply. Yes I am using Z clips for simplicity, so that one of the clip have to be away from both connectors on right. I don't think this is Glyph's issue but I also sent an Email to Avegant and hope they might know some workaround

I have a Mavic setup with the Nvidia K1, Mavmount and Yuneec goggles. I have to say the combination works pretty good. The only bugs I see are (as the OP says), the bottom "stats" of the Yuneec screen are cut off unless you raise up the goggles on your face and the Nvidia K1 apparently has a bug where the GPS point orientation "rotates" continuously...which is annoying on direction finding.

lol the glyphs are funny. history will not smile on them.
mavic makes no sound by the way

For $25 you can look just as silly, and have as good a VR experience as your phones screen can provide, with some
cardboards

Xiaozhai BOBOVR Z4 Virtual Reality 3D VR Box Headset Adjustable For iPhone 6/6p | eBay

Until VR goggles can bring the 4k quality of the mavic camera to your goggles slash headset, it's not worth it.
If your racing drones, thats different i guess, but for mavic that my 2 cents.

edit: the new daydream goggles look nice too.
edit 2: the daydream googles have no augmented vr so they suck
summing up again: Bobo Z4 mini's and you obviously have money to burn so get an XPERIA 4K HDR ZX premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: combustication
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada