DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which Micro SD card & how many

RallySoob

Reactions
Im having trouble identify which SanDisk micro sd card to buy. I know it should be class 10 but the other stuff like ihi uhi or whatever is beyond me. Which exact model card do you use?

How many 32gb or 64gb cards do you think I need If I plan to record all my flights for 5 batteries in 4k mode?

Im about to order some on amazon and want to make sure I get it right...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: jcpkkmw
You'll be able to record about 2 minutes of 4K video per 1GB of memory. Any of these memory cards would be a good choice.

Reactions: Mystiko
16 GB works for me, I have a compartmentalised pill box, one for 'used' cards and one for empty, and a half dozen cards. I change them with the battery if I'm filming. If there's a disaster with the Mavic or the card, all is not lost..

16 GB works for me, I have a compartmentalised pill box, one for 'used' cards and one for empty, and a half dozen cards. I change them with the battery if I'm filming. If there's a disaster with the Mavic or the card, all is not lost..

Smart!

I was poised to write the same thing. Great minds! Hadn't thought of the pill box.

Don't leave all you eggs in 1 basket.
There are pilots who use 1 x 64g card and only unload when full.
The 4 x 16g card option lowers that risk and its actually cheaper.
I have a spare 16g card sticky taped to the controller as a backup of backup (in case your forget to take your pills and forget the pill-box with your sd card).

Well, also I think its good to have small size cards that reminds you that you have limited memory and it forces you to only get the good shots and not everything.

Have those who have done lots of 4K work tested and seen any difference in the lower speed writes vs the higher speeds? Are the high speeds really needed?

Reactions: pugsley633
Don't leave all you eggs in 1 basket.
There are pilots who use 1 x 64g card and only unload when full.
The 4 x 16g card option lowers that risk and its actually cheaper.
I have a spare 16g card sticky taped to the controller as a backup of backup (in case your forget to take your pills and forget the pill-box with your sd card).

I agree with something like a drone where a crash or water immersion or whatever other crazy things can happen using smaller cards and changing it with each battery is a much safer method.

I want to record every single flight jic of an issue occuring i want full vid evidence plus u never know what u might see its nice to record full time if possible. Obviously i plan to transfer data from card to hard drive after each session, rinse , repeat.
So i'll try 5 16gb cards, 2 32gb and 1 64gb for now, so I have the option to do different things if needed. Thanks for the info!

Another benefit to using 1 card per battery is that you can remember which battery/card it was that you recorded that poiniant moment with for easier locating of that clip later on when editing.
I'll label the cards 1-5 along with their corresponding battery by number.

I wish someone could answer the part of my question about which specific class 10 san disk card to buy because I know that some are made to be used with cell phone cams while others are made for high end cameras and im sure they look exactly the same to most people

This is the one I use, you can cut one of the compartment walls to get a USB - micro SD adaptor in. I mark the bottom of the compartments used and empty. It fits nicely in the controller compartment of the Mavic bag. I did need to pack out the compartments from underneath (I used a hot glue gun, but blu tac would do) to prevent the cards from swapping compartments.
Small Mini Pill Box with Lid, Medicine Tablets Storage Organiser Plastic Case | eBay

Last edited:
I wish someone could answer the part of my question about which specific class 10 san disk card to buy because I know that some are made to be used with cell phone cams while others are made for high end cameras and im sure they look exactly the same to most people
I'd say any C10 SD card, don't get bogged down in the minutia , but maybe only buy the infuriating blister pack ones if buying on t'internet, as I suspect there may be folk out there with a silk screen printer banging out fakes.

Ill figure it out but beware that there are different grades of class 10 cards and u dont want to use the class 10 cards made for smart phone cameras but instead the ones made for dslr type cameras...they cost like 3$ more. I believe its UHI cards u want to steerclear of for mavic

Ill figure it out but beware that there are different grades of class 10 cards and u dont want to use the class 10 cards made for smart phone cameras but instead the ones made for dslr type cameras...they cost like 3$ more. I believe its UHI cards u want to steerclear of for mavic .

Data transfer rates vary alot between card qualities and that is not my concern. Its losing image quality or other qualities that concerns me

The c10 label signifies a minimum speed of data transfer, but I think manufacturers make them faster again for higher speed transfer, but we mavic owners only need c10, as that is fast enough, any more is just over egging the pudding, like putting racing slicks on a road car..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MavicPilots mobile app

I carry anywhere between 3 16's and 2 32's for alternating between 2 batteres. If I charge while flying then I have my power inverter and dump the cards onto my SSD in the field.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MavicPilots mobile app

Another benefit to using 1 card per battery is that you can remember which battery/card it was that you recorded that poiniant moment with for easier locating of that clip later on when editing.
I'll label the cards 1-5 along with their corresponding battery by number.

I believe class 10 is for 1080p video only. My information says you probably need UHS 1 or 3 that support higher write speeds. I went with sandisk for value and reliability. I have also found there are unsavory sellers on ebay and amazon that sell cards that are not what they appear to be so I would advise testing the card to make sure it is genuine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus