DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which tablet?

Raceman

Reactions
Hi all,
so taken my inaugeral flights with the Mavic, VERY impressed, and I haven't turned it into wreckage!

So my poor ole LG G3 isn't doing well, it's overheating and shutting down (it is over 100 degrees to be fair lol).

I want to get a tablet, or maybe an unlocked smart phone that isn't connected to the network, as a dedicated drone conroller. Any ideas from anyone as to what would work best? I am partial to Android id possible. Any ideas?

Also, I assume the Mavic uses to tiny micro SD cards?

Thanks all

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.

The Mavic uses micro SD memory cards. You can find a list of memory cards that work well here.

I can tell you right now that the screen on the samsung s2 8inch is the best there is.

However, I and many others have problems getting it to connect and at the same time it drains the battery on the RC by 20% in a 20 min flight..

I'm pretty frustrated right now with the whole android experience (IT DOESNT WORK!!!) over here where I'm going to have to eat 50 bucks to return the S2 and go get an ipad mini 4 with an inferior screen and +100 price tag.

(I have the T713 version of the s2, apparently the T710 version works perfectly fine, wish I had known that when ordering! The battery drain on the controller is unacceptable as well though. )

So how do you get something that size to sit in the arms?
See the notes below the tablet lists here. They explain which tablets will fit and the lists include the size of each tablet.

Unless you are lucky to find an android type unit that works well it appears that going the iPhone/iPad way works pretty much all the time with the least amount of angst.
A lot of discussion on here revolves around the numerous problems getting the Androids working without crashing.
Before you get anything do a lot of research.
I use both PC and Mac desktop and laptops at home.
Use IPad for the Mavic as I know it will work.

Unless you are lucky to find an android type unit that works well it appears that going the iPhone/iPad way works pretty much all the time with the least amount of angst.
A lot of discussion on here revolves around the numerous problems getting the Androids working without crashing.
Before you get anything do a lot of research.
I use both PC and Mac desktop and laptops at home.
Use IPad for the Mavic as I know it will work.
I've got a Note 5 on Android 7 that is flawless! Never crashed, always worked just fine.

Wish I could say the same about the Samsung s2 8inch. So pissed about this right now.

That's a shame, really like android :(
You wont find a guy who likes android more! And the samsung s2..

I even bought both the S2 and the Nvidia shield.

The problem with the shield is that colors are so faded and blah compared to the s2.. it does see to be the preferred android tablet for the mavic.. the only issue is that if you want to use it for other things, like movies and such, the colors just aren't even close to being as vivid. and of course it has the problem where it charges the shield from the RC controller, which can't be turned off?

I REALLY don't want to go to an ipad mini 4 for a ton of reasons...but I want an 8 inch tablet that will connect everytime with some decent colors.. seems like it's the only choice.

Hmm, a note 5...
Yup. works great, just too small once you've seen what it's like to fly with 8inches or so! I'm also trying to use it on a boat for navigation so every ounce of brightness counts!

You wont find a guy who likes android more! And the samsung s2..

I even bought both the S2 and the Nvidia shield.

The problem with the shield is that colors are so faded and blah compared to the s2.. it does see to be the preferred android tablet for the mavic.. the only issue is that if you want to use it for other things, like movies and such, the colors just aren't even close to being as vivid. and of course it has the problem where it charges the shield from the RC controller, which can't be turned off?

I REALLY don't want to go to an ipad mini 4 for a ton of reasons...but I want an 8 inch tablet that will connect everytime with some decent colors.. seems like it's the only choice.

Any idea how a Note 4 works with it?

I am using this:
Amazon.com : LG G V940N 10.1-Inch 2.26GHZ QUAD-CORE CPU Full HD Display Pad II : Computers & Accessories

I got it for $185.00 USD new, but now they are going for over 400.00!!EEEK (Must be a supply/demand thing, I remember when VZW was giving these away to sign up)
Running Marshmallow, , Stay away for the Nougat "upgrade", and the screen when the brightness is turned up, works fine in direct sunlight (but does eat the battery in this mode, but enough for 5/6 flights)

Not one hiccup. And on the original, as shipped, and as delivered firmware .400.

If it works, leave it alone....unless you have to have the newest/latest/greatest numbers, but be careful, some are re3porting various issues. Read, read, read the forums here...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom