DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which version of iPad Mini should I use?

Grey Wolf

Reactions
Thinking of using an iPad mini to use with my Mavic.
Would an older mini work or should it be the latest iPad 4?
I'm using an iPad 2 with cellular on my Inspire but do I really need cellular?
Does caching the map before hand work just as well?

The iPad Mini 2/3/4 are all compatible with DJI GO. You can find a complete list of compatible Apple devices here.

Yes, you can cache the maps in DJI GO beforehand if you do not have a cellular connection.

Wi-Fi only Apple devices do not contain a GPS receiver. Without that, you will not be able to use Follow Me or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't plan to use those features, then a Wi-Fi only Apple device would be an okay fit for you.

OK great. Thanks.
Will an older iPad mini 2 have lagging issues with the video etc?
I'm using my iPhone 7 Plus but it really is too small.
I do have an iPhone 6 Plus with new screen if anyone wants to trade it for an iPad mini 4 with cellular.

Reactions: craigm
Thinking of using an iPad mini to use with my Mavic.
Would an older mini work or should it be the latest iPad 4?
I'm using an iPad 2 with cellular on my Inspire but do I really need cellular?
Does caching the map before hand work just as well?

Easiest solution:

Refurbished iPad Mini 4 + hotspot with your phone and that solves the map issue :)

Been working great for me.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Reactions: craigm and Glen e
Someone has an iPad mini original for 80 dollars on Craigslist but it looks like it is not compatible.

OK great. Thanks.
Will an older iPad mini 2 have lagging issues with the video etc?
I'm using my iPhone 7 Plus but it really is too small.
I do have an iPhone 6 Plus with new screen if anyone wants to trade it for an iPad mini 4 with cellular.

I have experienced lagging issues with my iPad mini 2, would not recommend I switched back to iPhone 6 or 7 I cannot deal with any video lag. iPad mini 4 would probably be perfect [emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I just purchased a used iPad 2 mini, so far no lagging issues, I've only gone a mile out though.

I run an I Pad mini 2 and it runs flawlessly but I run it in airplane mode and have no other apps installed or running. I found in most cases you will experience a lag if you are over taxing the CPU or your RAM is 100% utilized. Making sure no other apps are running in the background will free up the RAM and CPU to allow it to dedicate all resources to the DJI GO app....

Will that allow you to manually set the home point then?
GPS data cannot be shared via a hotspot. You could still manually reset the home point to your Mavic's current location though.

Perhaps then the best solution is an mpg Mini 4 with cellular and I wouldn't need to get a subscription data plan? I wouldn't even need to put a sim card in?
I would get GPS then with this setup?

Yes -- you'll still be able to use GPS without a cellular plan or SIM card.

Reactions: craigm
Msinger, so what ur saying is that i would need a mini4 that has cellular capability? A wifi tethered to my Galaxy Note4 hotspot wouldn't work?
That's correct.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580