DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which version of iPad Mini should I use?

The 2 and the 4 work good, some of you might hate apple , but for drone work, there is not a better, more stable solution.

The 2 and the 4 work good, some of you might hate apple , but for drone work, there is not a better, more stable solution.
We do not hate it.... I wish I had gotten over my distaste and bought a iPad mini 4, but I did not.
Regards,
-d.

If I get an iPad mini 2 with just wifi and connected via hotspot to my phone will it be fine?

If I get an iPad mini 2 with just wifi and connected via hotspot to my phone will it be fine?
Of course, you can also cache your maps before you fly so you do not need the phone, or are you doing this to have follow me mode.
Regards,
-d.

Of course, you can also cache your maps before you fly so you do not need the phone, or are you doing this to have follow me mode.
Regards,
-d.

Not looking to use follow me. How do I cache the maps

Possible to use USB cable?
Not looking to use follow me. How do I cache the maps
just open up your GO4 app and zoom in and out of the area you are going to fly and it will save a copy. The link above will take you to a great explanation. The drone does not need to be on or connected.
Regards,
-d.

Last edited:
I would say buy the one you feel is most legal. Just make sure you follow all of the safety instructions in the user manual.

Why would you require an I Pad Mini with cellular? If you run you phone with it on Airplane mode (as I do)? The Mini 4 has GPS so it should work no?

Reactions: mandyjr
Unless you go to a cellular unit, you do not have a GPS in the iPad. You can cache Maps, or tether your phone if you have a Wi-Fi unit. If you do get the cell unit, the cell service does NOT need to be activated. Another option for the Wi-Fi iPad owner is a Garman GPS unit that straps on.

I use the mini 2 every day with it. You can also fit the ipad mini in the front sleeve of the dji case that comes in the 1299 kit. Also make sure you get a right angle mini hdmi cable. I got one on ebay for about $22 shipped. Its around 6 inches.

The 2 runs fine its just the screen brightness that is an issue. I had to get the mini 2 because I was going on a trip to cold temps and needed a reliable receiver, my iPhone 6 wasn't cutting it. So I had to get the mini 2 on verizon. It works great, but like I said, the 4 would probably have a more glare resistant screen. The 2 can be tough in direct sun light.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent