DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which would you rather have, CrystalSky or DJI Goggles?

I would take the crystal sky but I think the price is pretty steep. I would like to know if the screen is as bright as they claim it is in direct sunlight. One of my biggest complaints with my setup now is screen glare. I have a sunshield that only works marginally and I crank up my brightness all the way on my ipad.
Tablets and phones were not made for drone viewing, period.
The Crystal Sky is awesome and worth it.
The goggles are illegal anyway. Illegal to use that is.

Tablets and phones were not made for drone viewing, period.
The Crystal Sky is awesome and worth it.
The goggles are illegal anyway. Illegal to use that is.

Grey if you are going to make a statement like this at least clarify it! Illegal if you don't have a spotter... That's FAA which is USA not sure what your rules are in Canada so I won't make blanket uniformed statements....

It has Hdmi ports and two SD slots for recording so you can use it for other things.
From what has been announced it will be locked to running DJI GO / GO4 / GS Pro and nothing else, so yes while the hardware would be cool for other things it won't let you do them. Not even use your DJI aircraft with your favorite 3rd-party apps.

Grey if you are going to make a statement like this at least clarify it! Illegal if you don't have a spotter... That's FAA which is USA not sure what your rules are in Canada so I won't make blanket uniformed statements....
The question remains though, does one really trust a spotter anyway? We tend to not trust anyone when it comes to our things.
Even with goggles, I'd be tempted to look up occasionally anyway.
So in this sense, one can say you are flying without a spotter.
Not knocking anyone who prefers it but for safety sakes, the Crystal Sky or tablet, is much safer.
I'm just not a supporter of goggles as it opens up too many variables for things to happen when you are unprepared for it.

I would rather an HMD be a generic video device (Avegant Glyph, etc.), and use drone-dedicated communication devices that feed the video out. If I changed the HMD or tablet every time I changed to a new aircraft, I would have a workshop full of them.

Hi, Owen. Below is a link to a good sunshade for your IPad Mini. It works, it fits, and it folds flat. I fit both the sunshade and the Mini in the front pocket of my Mavic Shoulder Bag (it sticks up above the zipper, so you can't close it, but it does fit inside).

BTW, I am also waiting for the Mavic 2, or whatever.
Hooshion Remote Controller Phone Monitor Sun hood Sunshade Cover Hood Smartphone Tablet iPad Sun Shade for DJI MAVIC PRO Inspire / PHANTOM 3 4 M600 OSMO Accessories (7.9 inch, Black)

Just out of curiosity, which size of this sunshade did you order that works well with your iPad Mini? I have an iPad Mini 4 and am looking for a sunshade that works well with it. Does it interfere with the RC arms that hold the iPad or the cable? I just have the short 6 inch (lightning/USB) cable that is barely long enough now.

Reactions: jerryflah
Limited to only fly the drone and other basic uses (video playback, etc). It's not a general purpose tablet where you can install any app on it.

Oh, yea, I am cool with that. I thought you meant limited time. Had me worried.

If it works flawlessly with my Mavic and later with an Inspire I will happier than a pig in a pen. I have a S7 Edge and will ultimately upgrade to a S8+ or N8 and the worry is far more than i like to bear. On the other hand, I bet I can find a gazillion people with the same device that have never had any problems or will for that matter. My luck is not that way. If you look up Murphy's Law, you'll find my picture. LOL

But before I bought the DJI Goggles I would go with the BT-300 like you said. Seems that it might be the best of both worlds.

Reactions: charlestwesco
I would also like the BT300 but it's almost double the cost of the goggles. I personally can't justify a BT300 just for drone flying. Perhaps there are other applications for it but the price is almost the same as a Mavic. :/

Reactions: sacballa
Right, I definitely agree. From a hobby standpoint the Crystalsky is crazy money. I intend to get my Part 107 Certification however, and will use it for money making opportunities. The jobs are out there. You just have to be able to provide the service.

Reactions: ddimkin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett